Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Mickey Mouse was created in 1928. Which should mean he would fall into the public domain in a few years (but Disney would still own the trademark). Many believe that Disney won't let that happen and they wlll get their lawyers to force a change in the United States copyright. Which would then move the goal posts for everything else created in 1928 and after.
    I'd be floored if Disney didn't try, but nowadays social media would prevent a major corporation from doing something like this in secret. It would be a very big PR nightmare for Disney if they keep trying to change these laws every time they need to.

Also, these laws don't get passed overnight, so if they want to beat the January 1, 2024 deadline for Mickey Mouse, they really have to start acting now. The previous copyright extension in 1998 was nicknamed the "Sonny Bono Act," and he was a Republican. It'll be interesting to see if things are different now that the Democrats control both the House and the Senate for the next two years at least.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Tomasi's book wasn't really the place for it since he focused on Clark Kent the father and farmer. Jurgens spent more time trying to re-contexualize the status quo and get things back to basics to really do much with it after Reborn.

Bendis ironically seemed to get it at the start of his run and he's the one who got rid of the dynamic.

To be fair it seems like an industry-wide problem with books focusing less and less on the heroes' lives outside being Superheroes.
    what was back to basic about jurgens run?There was no political,mystery or noir type stories in jurgens run,regarding the daily planet.It had office drama.Bendis tried a mistery but it was lackluster.Then he to fell back to office drama.That's what you do with the planet or star or whatever.Superman has the reverse problem.He was created as superman.Now he cries about lois deciding to live separatly.what's so super about that?
    I don't think this has anything to do with legality.It has things to do with creative side.They can't do anything with superjesus other than fluff and "Thou shall hope and thou shall dream".But,the kid can do anything.He can be hated.He can be loved.He can be an outcast and outlaw.Which is something i want in superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-11-2021 at 10:03 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-11-2021 at 10:13 PM.

BANNED

You know, it would be hilarious if the copyrights ended and Disney decided to animate their own versions of DC's character or add their versions to the MCU, lol

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    You know, it would be hilarious if the copyrights ended and Disney decided to animate their own versions of DC's character or add their versions to the MCU, lol
    Marvel already has their own DC knockoffs with the Squadron Supreme. I'll be curious if Kevin Feige ever pulls the trigger on bringing them into the MCU and what Warner Bros. reaction to it would be since those characters have existed unopposed in the comics for decades and they failed to bring legal action.

Given how fast Marvel is burning through their A-listers and trying to turn former C-listers into their new pillars, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to bring in the Squadron Supreme within the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    what was back to basic about jurgens run?There was no political,mystery or noir type stories in jurgens run,regarding the daily planet.It had office drama.Bendis tried a mistery but it was lackluster.Then he to fell back to office drama.That's what you do with the planet or star or whatever.Superman has the reverse problem.He was created as superman.Now he cries about lois deciding to live separatly.what's so super about that?
    I don't think this has anything to do with legality.It has things to do with creative side.They can't do anything with superjesus other than fluff and "Thou shall hope and thou shall dream".But,the kid can do anything.He can be hated.He can be loved.He can be an outcast and outlaw.Which is something i want in superman.
    "Back to basics" to a point where we've got the Planet, "mild-mannered reporter" Clark Kent, and the typical Rogues.

I don't think Bendis was going for much mystery regarding the Invisible Mafia and Red Cloud given how quickly he revealed them.

I mean, he has human emotions...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Back to basics" to a point where we've got the Planet, "mild-mannered reporter" Clark Kent, and the typical Rogues.

I don't think Bendis was going for much mystery regarding the Invisible Mafia and Red Cloud given how quickly he revealed them.

I mean, he has human emotions...
    Mild mannered clark's purpose was cool investigative stories and politcal stuff.Some great comedy.Some winking at the camera.What's with all the angst?

Whatever,bendis was going for.it just didn't work for me.

Yeah!Yeah! i read a story about a flying alien to see him have human emotions.Those things work best when they are'nt overexposed or overwritten.Tell you what, if clark wants to be human,Mundane and boring so bad.They should publish The days of Superman's life stories with glasses and whiteshirt and stuff like that.I want jon to be like the mischevious monkey king,goku,luffy..etc.If people don't like the pulp clark kent superman in future state ike john carter and zorro.They should give that to jon as well.We can have superman stories with romance and drama.Stuff like that.Jon can be super.Putting cities in bottle,throwing wife beaters into the wall,Punching gods and freeing slaves.Everyone get's what they want.Superman can give lectures as the dad.But,jon having the monkey brain.Does what he feels like is the right thing.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-11-2021 at 11:15 PM.

I think you are describing two different aspects and giving them both to Jon but one of them does not belong to him. The first is the trouble maker, which I'm not a big fan of. The other is the guy who takes out wifebeaters and is trying to knock some sense into others. I think this fits a grown up Conner much better but I haven't seen you comment on it. I think Jon has a good enough sense of how closely associated he is too Clark that he would be very careful with how he acts on earth so he doesn't mess up things for his dad.he wants to surpass him, not ruin him. That's why to me Jon would be the one wanting to go to space and change things out there.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-12-2021 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think you are describing two different aspects and giving them both to Jon but one of them does not belong to him. The first is the trouble maker, which I'm not a big fan of. The other is the guy who takes out wifebeaters and is trying to knock some sense into others. I think this fits a grown up Conner much better but I haven't seen you comment on it. I think Jon has a good enough sense of how closely associated he is too Clark that he would be very careful with how he acts on earth so he doesn't mess up things for his dad.he wants to surpass him, not ruin him. That's why to me Jon would be the one wanting to go to space and change things out there.
    ehh!i am tired of supermen being "power such a burden and responsibility.I can't even sneese without cardboards being broken".It's boring.It's time someone changed the whole outlook on power.Ben parker and his "great power great responsibility" needs to take a break for awhile.You might not be a fan of the trouble maker.The kid was running off without his parent's permission from day one.He is more similar to a asian hero than the european/western heroic hero .Conner would work fine.But,the kid started doing that the minute he put an entire city in a bottle to stop these guys from have a war to save a kid.That's more luffy and monkey king like than anything.I was talking about the old pulp fiction heroes like superman,tarzan,john carter,zorro,shadow...etc in superman world of war future state.They had this blend of westerns and scifi tone.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-12-2021 at 02:13 AM.

Whatever the reason it's just not working for me every older version of Jon written recently is either a bland piece of garbage that has less going for it than paste, or a complete ripoff version of Clark with nothing going for him other tha being Daddy's mini me. It ain't Jon for me, can they just give him his own personality at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    ehh!i am tired of supermen being "power such a burden and responsibility.I can't even sneese without cardboards being broken".It's boring.It's time someone changed the whole outlook on power.Ben parker and his "great power great responsibility" needs to take a break for awhile.You might not be a fan of the trouble maker.The kid was running off without his parent's permission from day one.He is more similar to a asian hero than the european/western heroic hero .Conner would work fine.But,the kid started doing that the minute he put an entire city in a bottle to stop these guys from have a war to save a kid.That's more luffy and monkey king like than anything.I was talking about the old pulp fiction heroes like superman,tarzan,john carter,zorro,shadow...etc in superman world of war future state.They had this blend of westerns and scifi tone.
    Ok you have to explain something to me, I haven't read or watched One piece. But this is how a friend of mine described luffy is that he is a super relaxed person that just wants to be the king of pirates because it would make him free of everything. He is nice to everyone unless they mess with him. This doesn't really remind me of Superman.

But at any case, you've said you want Superman to be a man of action and it seems like you want him to be impulsive. You've said you like the fact that Jon puts a city in a bottle to protect them from the military and without thinkinf of the consequences. Could you describe what other stories you would like to see? I want to understand a little better your desires for him

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think more than anything, the largest case to be made for Jon being their insurance clause is how similar he is to his father in visual and character except as a young boy. He has been portrayed as a Superman you're familiar with, but you know it's not him so you don't have preconceived notions of what he should do;

Effectively, you get that same Superman taste you are used to until he surprises you and you don't feel betrayed because he's not the OG.

It's a cheat, to be certain, and fans of Jon aren't happy he's his dad's clone under most pens, but I think that's a bigger indictment than Superman of Metropolis featuring all new stuff.

Superman of Metropolis goes a bit more reckless but it gets walked back immediately to go more Clark-like as he gets older and shows SoM to essentially be him making mistakes as a young man stepping into dad's shoes.

His getting skyrocketed to the face of the IP this quickly only adds to that as an idea they're mulling over. Time will tell, but if they wanted Jon to have legs as a unique idea instead of replacement Superman, he would have more discerning traits rather than being the same confectionary in a different wrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Ok you have to explain something to me, I haven't read or watched One piece. But this is how a friend of mine described luffy is that he is a super relaxed person that just wants to be the king of pirates because it would make him free of everything. He is nice to everyone unless they mess with him. This doesn't really remind me of Superman.

But at any case, you've said you want Superman to be a man of action and it seems like you want him to be impulsive. You've said you like the fact that Jon puts a city in a bottle to protect them from the military and without thinkinf of the consequences. Could you describe what other stories you would like to see? I want to understand a little better your desires for him
    Luffy isn't nice to everyone.He is optimistic,sunny,adventurous,kind,compassionate,ni ce to nice people,loving..etc.He isn't relaxed to say the least.He's always running around and always on his toes.Sure.but,Your friend is wrong.He is blunt in honesty.He doesn't lie,ever.He can't even if he wants to.He is not the best at everything.But,he always finds people to help him and he helps others as well.It's like jon and mister miracle/guardian type deal.He's a dreamer.He doesn't like cowards,people who hide behind weakness,back stabbers,corrupt,racists,people who take freedom away,gods who think themselves above humanity...etc.Luffy loves heroes.But,he thinks he ain't one(maybe he isn't).For him,a hero is someone who share/gives away everything.Even their own share and life.He wouldn't run behind "I can't do that it would be irresponsible of me to do x".If he feels something is rotten to the core he would tear it down.He wouldn't care about consequances.Even his own death.He would tear of his own arms for freedom(He actually tried that).He would punch any wall again and again even if his hand get broken in the process.

People think that's stupid and irresponsible,If allowing evil and suffering to thrive is being responisble.Then luffy isn't it.I am fairly certain.Superman would agree with luffy as he is the guy who used to hate bullies and bullied them back.

Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-13-2021 at 02:09 AM.

I think your description of Superman is a god, just not the one from the New Testament. How come he "doesn't like gods who think themselves above humanity" yet he does drastic changes that affect other people, without even caring if it's what they want. The thing about Superman is that nobody chose for him to get those powers. Nobody says he deserves to have those powers. And for everyone in the world the wabts something to happen, someone else wants the opposite. I think Clark ultimately has to choose what he thinks is best, but he can't just ignore the people that think differently. If everyone in the world wants a shard of kryptonitex how is Clark going to react? Is he gonna let them? Is he gonna choose who gets to have it and who doesn't? Is he gonna let the world choose who gets to have it and who doesn't?
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-13-2021 at 06:31 AM.

Here an article explain some stuff on public domain

Mickey Mouse will be public domain soon—here’s what that means

On January 1, 2024, we'll see the expiration of the copyright for Steamboat Willie—and with it Disney's claim to the film's star, Mickey Mouse. The copyrights to Superman, Batman, Disney's Snow White, and early Looney Tunes characters will all fall into the public domain between 2031 and 2035.
    I highly doubt any moves is because of legal reasons, And DC own trademarks on most of the core stuff and Superman is one of most deep rooted heroes in tradition, If you can't use his "S" and color scheme it won't feel like Superman. I don't think it would be like Dracula or Thor were you could pull off feel with out the key things. And then there is this

Arthur Conan Doyle’s estate sues Netflix for giving Sherlock Holmes too many feelings

Netflix Settles 'Enola Holmes' Lawsuit With Conan Doyle Estate

Conan Dolye estate sued Netflix for Sherlock character having feelings and Netflix settled with them,Imo It would be a nightmare trying not to copy Clark and Superman personality. You are better off making your own character who is a superman anolog than public domain version