Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You do realize that what you are worried about is a court telling a writer that they legally can't make Batman black because there's already a black batman in dc stories. No, I don't think DC would win this court case if they went for it. As long as the character itself and the stories don't intrude, changes like sexuality, ethnicity, age, and probably religion aren't out of bounds for anyone.
    Makes sense-- Thanks

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

You do realize that what you are worried about is a court telling a writer that they legally can't make Batman black because there's already a black batman in dc stories. No, I don't think DC would win this court case if they went for it. As long as the character itself and the stories don't intrude, changes like sexuality, ethnicity, age, and probably religion aren't out of bounds for anyone.
    Furthermore, even if they won the case, I imagine that would murder their brand in today's climate. It just wouldn't be worth it. If anything, they would probably try and buy the story and entice the creators to come over and keep spinning more content out for adaptions.

Yeah true.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think your description of Superman is a god, just not the one from the New Testament. How come he "doesn't like gods who think themselves above humanity" yet he does drastic changes that affect other people, without even caring if it's what they want. The thing about Superman is that nobody chose for him to get those powers. Nobody says he deserves to have those powers. And for everyone in the world the wabts something to happen, someone else wants the opposite. I think Clark ultimately has to choose what he thinks is best, but he can't just ignore the people that think differently. If everyone in the world wants a shard of kryptonitex how is Clark going to react? Is he gonna let them? Is he gonna choose who gets to have it and who doesn't? Is he gonna let the world choose who gets to have it and who doesn't?
    That's where your wrong.He ain't aiming for doing drastic changes.He is aiming to do the right thing.That's his motive.He's an idealist.Tolerating corruption and oppression is not the right thing.People can want what they want.Any change that happens would be because he did a right thing.Everything from the smallest microorganism to giant whales take actions(voluntary or involuntarly) that affect on a large scale or a small scale that may be a change or it may not be. Unless you unmake and erase yourself you can't not act and affect things.You can't not act just because your actions affect other.All you can do is take responsibility and punishment(people take wrong course of action sometimes by mistake.Superman is no different) if need be.And superman is cool because he does it with smile on his face.Also,superman chose to have powers.He worked to make it bloom.But the potential wasn't a choice.true.Different people want different things in the world.And he should care how?If a guy stands above humanity in nazi germany or soviet russia and causing suffering.He's gonna punch him.it's not because he's implementing drastic changes,it's because it's the right thing to do.riiight, he's gonna need some committee to tell him what to do.He's a criminal.He's already an outlaw.As for clark's opinion on everyone wanting a shard of kryptonite.Clark would say "why are you asking me that? i don' care.Your prerogative".There is no "letting" them."letting them" implies superman controls them.People can do whatever heck! they want.How does that concern clark?It's a different deal if they use kryptonite for dubious purposes like lex.Then we have a problem.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-13-2021 at 10:01 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    There's value in using the "Superman," "Batman," "Bruce Wayne," and "Clark Kent" names in-story, in a similar manner to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Superman could have an "S" logo, especially the Golden Age version. He could have the Golden Age color scheme as well. (It's not like some versions of Robin Hood have to wear orange or some versions of Dracula have to wear white.) And good luck getting money out of an LLC created just to publish such stories. They can fold and the creators can find other means to publish.

I know I'm now particularly interested in the Golden Age versions of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Dr. Fate. And in about 15 years, I could "own" stories about these characters, even if I don't own the characters themselves. You could just title your book something like "Ultra Comics Presents The Super Society."
    Few heroes are dependent on look and specific iconography like Superman, I know it can be done without but it is not really worth it because that is large part of Superman. You can pull off Batman with just a black cape , You can pull of Thor by showing a Hammer, Dracula with pale skin and fangs. You don't have that logo on Superman chest, That red cape, It feels off I mean I hate the red trunks but when they aren't there it feels a little empty. Superman and Spiderman probably two heroes I wouldn't waste time trying to do a public domain version and just do my version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What do people think is gained by Superman entering the public domain?
    Mostly in fan fiction and not having DC dropping a cease and desist on for doing your own fan version and being profit and monetize some it. Overtime some people believe characters/idea lose the core of what they were trying to original do and there is a market for making that specific type of thing. The best example I can give is Star Trek ,some people aren't please with direction so they have been very elaborate fan version that have been try to be release CBS has dropped the hammer on them. And it is pretty silly CBS had committed to a direction far different from what the fans are doing and wouldn't be harmful but since they have control property the project has to die.

Another good thing maybe about public domain is that Superman went years with out movie version being released, If company is brave enough and patient enough to make sure their version clears all the legal loop holes you can have another version of superman out when DC has no interest put out a version. They are several King Arthur, Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, Frankenstein, Dracula and others movies made. Superman is good enough concept that people would like to see different versions. Remember that DC is somewhat a slave to continuity. You can put out Public Domain version of Superman where Wonder Woman or Lana Lang is his true love and he doesn't become a reporter but full time superhero that people would like to see this happening. This less like than first part because of legal minefield but having the option available is nice.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-14-2021 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's where your wrong.He ain't aiming for doing drastic changes.He is aiming to do the right thing.That's his motive.He's an idealist.Tolerating corruption and oppression is not the right thing.People can want what they want.Any change that happens would be because he did a right thing.Everything from the smallest microorganism to giant whales take actions(voluntary or involuntarly) that affect on a large scale or a small scale that may be a change or it may not be. Unless you unmake and erase yourself you can't not act and affect things.You can't not act just because your actions affect other.All you can do is take responsibility and punishment(people take wrong course of action sometimes by mistake.Superman is no different) if need be.And superman is cool because he does it with smile on his face.Also,superman chose to have powers.He worked to make it bloom.But the potential wasn't a choice.true.Different people want different things in the world.And he should care how?If a guy stands above humanity in nazi germany or soviet russia and causing suffering.He's gonna punch him.it's not because he's implementing drastic changes,it's because it's the right thing to do.riiight, he's gonna need some committee to tell him what to do.He's a criminal.He's already an outlaw.As for clark's opinion on everyone wanting a shard of kryptonite.Clark would say "why are you asking me that? i don' care.Your prerogative".There is no "letting" them."letting them" implies superman controls them.People can do whatever heck! they want.How does that concern clark?It's a different deal if they use kryptonite for dubious purposes like lex.Then we have a problem.
    So your version of Superman believes in absolute good and absolute evil? Everyone he fights is a brutal dictator or corrupt politician? Doesn't he run into situations where there is no clear answer as to what is right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Few heroes are dependent on look and specific iconography like Superman, I know it can be done without but it is not really worth it because that is large part of Superman. You can pull off Batman with just a black cape , You can pull of Thor by showing a Hammer, Dracula with pale skin and fangs. You don't have that logo on Superman chest, That red cape, It feels off I mean I hate the red trunks but when they aren't there it feels a little empty. Superman and Spiderman probably two heroes I wouldn't waste time trying to do a public domain version and just do my version.
    You would be able to use all of the Golden Age elements, including the Golden Age costume. As time goes along, you'll have access to more abilities, looks, and supporting characters.

The tricky thing will be if you can redesign the costume without the redesign being considered too close to a copyrighted version. All the public domain Supermen might be stuck in briefs.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-14-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I would love to see a big screen adaptation of Action Comics #1. There's so much great material there that Warner Bros has shown absolutely no interest in outside of Morrison

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

There's so much you could do with the character that DC hasn't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Can't have that logo. The shield is probably gonna be the biggest point of contention. Gotta be careful around it.

BANNED

Can't have that logo. The shield is probably gonna be the biggest point of contention. Gotta be careful around it.
    Yes, but it's not hard to slap a different "S" on those designs. There are a million ways to do the "S" that haven't been done yet. The golden age logo also works:

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-14-2021 at 10:50 AM.

BANNED

Easy press: "The stories DC doesn't want you to see!"

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So your version of Superman believes in absolute good and absolute evil? Everyone he fights is a brutal dictator or corrupt politician? Doesn't he run into situations where there is no clear answer as to what is right?
    No,The current clark kent superman who is based on kantian deontology (Heck!it might be pre-enlightenment) does.How many times does an average human run into problems like that in their lifetime unless they are on the frontlines(when they aren't overcomplicating things)?the same amount i would say.AnywaysSuperman of the old believes in action.If your actions are causing suffering.Then it doesn't matter if the other guy/you are good or whatnot.He's gonna stop it.As for rules,he's not rule maker.that's their(people's) business.You might be asking,what if superman of the old is causing suffering by his actions?Valid question.They can set the dogs on him as well.Ofcourse,he would make a run for it(if he feels i he did no wrong).As said,he a dastardly fellow.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-15-2021 at 12:49 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"