Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Next Batman: Second Son Announced

The Next Batman: Second Son is a new miniseries, launching weekly digital chapters beginning February 23. The first three digital chapters will be collected into the debut print issue, available at comic book stores on April 6.

Now that the world knows Tim Fox is behind the mask fighting against The Magistrate in Gotham City, what’s the truth behind his origin and his connection to the current DC Universe? Featuring art by Tony Akins (Jack of Fables), Travel Foreman (Animal Man, Birds of Prey) and Mark Morales (Justice League, Deathstroke, REPRESENT!/”It’s A Bird”) this miniseries answers the questions behind Tim’s estrangement from Lucius Fox and the rest of the Fox family and his evolution from man of mystery to Gotham’s newest guardian.

We might not see Jace as the present-day Batman, but we will get his origin.

And that's a lot of Foxes...enough to make their own Superhero family. Jace even looks like a Bruce .

I hope it isn't using the terrible DC Digital First format of cropped regular pages that's actually awful to read on tablets.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

exciting, though why does Lucius face look so wrinkled?

Hopefully this leads to a ongoing series.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the trade was called Building the Batman. We know that at least in the Future State timeline Tim is for a fact the new Batman. What we don’t know is how he got there, where he got the suit, how he got the skills and the gadgets. Depending on how far back or far forward we go I suppose Tynion can use some of it in his ongoing events but I intend to look at it just something to inform the Next Batman series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

The title “second son.” Is this referencing that Luke is older than Tim?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Isn't Tim the oldest?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Tim the oldest?
    I mean that’s what we assumed because Tim goes back to the 80’s and Luke only became canon in New 52 but this is only around the first time we have seen them together ever as a family. But honestly nothing is stopping DC from saying Luke is older, even if only by a year or two.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

This is interesting. The cover gives off the vibes of tv series like Empire.

I think I am going to read this just for the Fox family drama and I like that we will be getting to see more of these characters.

I wonder if we will see Luke as Batwing and I would not be surprised if Tim's past as The Vulture was used the title "The Second Son" seems like a play on the Prodigal Son

Oh man, that second son title, I thought they gave Bruce another kid for a moment there...

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    ~re-post~
    my only issue with the series is it's digital first. they started the Truth & Justice series with Vixen & the Global Guardians and they just chopped the pages on that hoe all the way to hell. i hope that don't end up being indicative of a pattern of negligence with these digital releases. a lot of eyes are on Ridley's take on the Fox fam and Batman, they can't fumble.

other than that, I'm pretty excited for more of Ridley's time with the Foxs. it looks like he's really trying to properly flesh out the Foxs and bring them to the forefront of the DC conscious during his time with Tim as Batman and I really appreciate that. Batman has been about the found family for a while but we don't really get much of this kind of more typical family dynamic. I don't think we've ever gotten a Batman with both parents, let alone with siblings (besides Terry's brother).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I’m reaching here but maybe Jace is the second son in the sense that he’s viewed/treated as the screwup in the family? I’m definitely interested in the story Ridley’s telling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I’m reaching here but maybe Jace is the second son in the sense that he’s viewed/treated as the screwup in the family? I’m definitely interested in the story Ridley’s telling.
    I'm pretty sure you got it on the dot.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-15-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Does Luke still have the Batwing costume stored away?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Does Luke still have the Batwing costume stored away?
    He wore it during the joker war, so it seems so.