Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Cheers and Frasier vs. Friends

Which show(s) do you like better? I really enjoyed Friends and it's amazing to me 17 years after the show ended how popular and in demand it still is. I feel like Cheers gets the shaft though. Cheers spawned Frasier but yet people talk about Frasier more. Both shows had incredible 11 season runs. Personally, I like both shows.

its a bit unfair since Friends and Frasier both built on the success of Cheers.

But I'd say Friends, then Cheers, then Frasier. All 3 shows had solid casts, Friends seemed a bit wackier and less predictable to me so I'll give it the edge. Frasier i just usually found a bit too predictable although it certainly had its funny moments. With Cheers i think i just preferred the characters over the ones on Frasier.

Extraordinary Member

You can't get much better than Cheers during its first five seasons with Shelley Long as Diane with Sam. The Rebecca years are good too but just not at the same quality as those first five years.

Frasier had eight great seasons but kind of coasted on those last three. Such great writing and acting.

I only enjoy a few seasons of Friends in reruns. I love seasons two through five. I wasn't a fan of the Chandler/Monica pairing. It was cute in the beginning when they were sneaking around, but the minute Chandler confessed that he loved her, it was all over. Chandler was the funniest character on tv in the 90s and yet taking him out of the apartment with Joey and putting him with Monica just ruined the character IMO. As the series went on, Chandler became unfunny, Monica got louder, Joey got dumber, Ross and Rachel became more annoying, and Phoebe became meaner. It just wasn't the same show.

Retired

This is a question of which I hate more. At the time, during the first few seasons I loved CHEERS and then it was "oh is that still on, they should have cancelled it long ago." I was always critical of FRASIER and FRIENDS when they were on the air, even though I kept watching them (mainly for Jane Leeves and Lisa Kudrow). But since they went off the air, I've softened toward FRIENDS while my disdain for FRASIER has hardened. So I would say I like FRIENDS more than CHEERS and CHEERS more than FRASIER--but all of them are mediocre.

To make it equal, Cheers & Frasier vs Friends & Joey?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    To make it equal, Cheers & Frasier vs Friends & Joey?
    Lol, no contest Frasier is a good example of a spinoff show spawned from a successful show and how to do it well. Joey is an example of how to not do that. Another thing when it comes to Cheers, usually with shows a cast change can hurt the show. But in this case moving from Diane to Rebecca Cheers didn't miss a beat. By bringing in Rebecca, it became more of an ensemble show. Same with Coach and Woody.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Lol, no contest Frasier is a good example of a spinoff show spawned from a successful show and how to do it well. Joey is an example of how to not do that. Another thing when it comes to Cheers, usually with shows a cast change can hurt the show. But in this case moving from Diane to Rebecca Cheers didn't miss a beat. By bringing in Rebecca, it became more of an ensemble show. Same with Coach and Woody.
    I may be wrong, but I think Joey could've been successful if they had not done the show with his unlikeable sister and uninteresting nephew and instead gotten Christina Applegate to play Rachel's selfish (but hilarious) sister Amy and had her move out to L.A. and end up being in the same apartment complex as Joey. Amy finds herself stranded in L.A. after being cut off from her parents except a small monthly allowance and has to start working for a living. The two could've had a love/hate relationship for years that could've been very entertaining.

Cheers is one of my favorite all time shows and I do not care for Friends at all. I have never really watched Frasier.

Whenever this question between Frasier and Friends pops up, my mind always goes back to comparing their respective series finales. The two finales have almost virtually the same plot and the same beats, but Frasier by a long mile, and it kind of encapsulates how I feel about both shows.

I faithfully never watched Frasier, I never saw a single episode of Cheers so Friends. Friends is more culturally influential than both.

Friends produces way better memes, but Frasier is the better show. Cheers was not my cup of tea, though I did really like the two curmudgeons of Norm and Cliff. Cliff Claven is still one of the best all time characters.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Frasier towers over both of the other two shows, frankly. Only Seinfeld beats Frasier in terms of '90s American TV comedies, as far as I'm concerned.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I will watch Friends or Cheers if I can't change the channel for some reason.

I will stop on any channel that is playing Frasier.

I will stream Frasier.

I have only streamed Friends or Cheers because somebody I love was watching it.

I liked Friends but it has not aged well IMHO. Cheers I lived for back in the day but it doesn't hold the same appeal for me as Frasier does now.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Frasier towers over both of the other two shows, frankly. Only Seinfeld beats Frasier in terms of '90s American TV comedies, as far as I'm concerned.
    This!
    I've never watched Cheers, with the exception of a few episodes. Friends is fine, but Frasier is one of my all time favorites.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

FRASIER.
    It had the best actors, the wittiest moments, and it's an incredible achievement considering EVERYONE thought this couldn't work. Taking a supporting character (who was never that popular) from a hit series and make a show about wine and opera comedy. It created something so different, and unique and sophisticated. What I loved about the show is how it managed to make what they were talking about accessible and understandably in their jokes, even if you had no context for the opera, or fine wines, or anything like that. And the actors... I mean two Tony winners and a Tony nominees (on top of countless EMMYs). It really was in a class of it's own. The other two pale in comparison.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."