Page 53 of 103 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I wonder if the non x-writers had a say in characters under their purview being in this "event"? And also if they are mandated to incorporate whatever comes out of this gala into their books ongoing stories. It almost comes off as the x-office running roughshod over non-mutant books and other writers having to defer to whatever Hickman is doing. If I were a comic writer on a non x-book and was told from the higher ups that I had alter whatever story plans I had to accommodate Hickman's wider story I would not be happy. And if my book's characters role in said story was to get dragged and humiliated to make Krakoa look good I would be doubly pissed. On has to think that at some point there is going to be some pushback from other non x-writers, especially if they have to defer to Hickman. Did Slott or Aaron have any input, or were they and the other writers told to make their characters available because this event is about mutants showing out and all the major non-mutant characters have to be there to see Krakoa flex their power. I fully expect to see a lot of bad showings from certain characters, being humbled, embarrassed, humiliated and out maneuvered all to the benefit of Krakoa. This will not be a good look for the Avengers, FF or any other non-property. X-fans are going to love it though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I appreciate the analysis, but a few points I'd like to add:

1) Letting the wallets decide is not always a good thing. Maybe good for short term success, but not good for progress or blossoming work for the future. An example is politics. If you always go with the majority, it would be harder to overcome terrible institutional things like slavery, segregation, sexism, etc.

2) Even if the majority of the comic buyers is like 80% cis/straight/male there is nothing stopping a private company from deciding that they want to focus on ANY market they choose.

3) On the issue of pandering... I feel this is a little bit manipulative. Kind of like depriving someone of something they never had because you've convinced them they don't want it anyway. (I know there's a saying for this! Just can't think of it right now.) I don't feel pandered to by this event. I see it as an event that is interesting. Full stop.

4) The accessibility issue. This is a good point when pandering is very obvious and poorly thought out... situations where it's like "let's try to lure in this and that audience". I personally am not getting that from this event. The only kind of eye-rolly moment for me so far is the "they came to slay!" tagline. From reading comments, the only people who are making claims of pandering are the people that are having an extreme reaction to it... mainly straight cis males. As an BIPOC queer person, I'm not getting any of that and I don't like that being projected onto me.
    Thanks for these additional/counter points.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I think you overthink it, I simply point out that Women are a growing part of the market and they make up a chunk of the market. The X-men could be 100% straight male readers it wouldn't matter because women's imprint is growing as consumers in the industry. It makes sense to try to attract them to be your readership.

Anyways you threw out phantom numbers, 46% is a real number and that research was done years ago the number is very well larger. You make some interesting points but in the face of actual numbers, you still try to make the comic market seem overwhelming male. Also I don't have stats to back it up but I would bet money that X-men has a larger LGBTQ audience than a standard superhero comic. Whether it is manga or movies you can find numbers to show that you shouldn't be ignoring a female audience in this genre.
    Perhaps i do overthink it, but i felt to reflect that the situation might not be as simple as the argument sounded to me, which i might have misunderstood.

It was also not my intention to make the comic market in general overwhelming male looking, but just the super hero comic one, because of the mentioned difficult entry situation.
    Because while the larger female reader/buyership exists, no denying that, they might not be as much courted by these things as the people at Marvel might desire (or the buzz on part of the internet might make it sound) and more by easy to follow/check up continuity, consistent quality of artwork and writing, easy to follow numbering or naming of books, acceptable prices and no issue getting access to these books.

Problems not adressed with a super hero fashion show in a difficult to get into continuity, hence why i have doubts about it's value for longtime gain of female (or LGBTQ for that matter) readers. Which might not even be of interest to many of them.

Though i admit, that's perhaps just from my (limited) personal experience with female comic readers and their interests.

As for the X-men comics having a large diverse audience allready. Yeah not doubting that.
    Last edited by Grunty; 05-01-2021 at 05:24 PM.

I mean there is more, I wasn't trying to crunch the thread with photos but in seeing some people talk seeing real live photos might help get kind of a feel for what they were going for in the book

Chile who is this broad dressed like a Triple Double Bossy Deluxe on a raft, 4x4, animal style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim?

heres my ranking of all the outfits, this was kinda harder than i expected it to be

Oops also if anyone wants to do one themselves heres the link
    https://tiermaker.com/create/hellfir...outfits-984767
    Last edited by Diammandis; 05-02-2021 at 02:54 PM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Interesting chart. If you don't mind me asking, why did Domino receive a C-ranking when she is essentially wearing the same outfit as Quentin and Logan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Interesting chart. If you don't mind me asking, why did Domino receive a C-ranking when she is essentially wearing the same outfit as Quentin and Logan?
    cause she looks good its a dress and she looks hot in it loool same with sage
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    cause she looks good its a dress and she looks hot in it loool same with sage
    Lmao fair enough. No lies detected here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Thanks for these additional/counter points.

Perhaps i do overthink it, but i felt to reflect that the situation might not be as simple as the argument sounded to me, which i might have misunderstood.

It was also not my intention to make the comic market in general overwhelming male looking, but just the super hero comic one, because of the mentioned difficult entry situation.
    Because while the larger female reader/buyership exists, no denying that, they might not be as much courted by these things as the people at Marvel might desire (or the buzz on part of the internet might make it sound) and more by easy to follow/check up continuity, consistent quality of artwork and writing, easy to follow numbering or naming of books, acceptable prices and no issue getting access to these books.

Problems not adressed with a super hero fashion show in a difficult to get into continuity, hence why i have doubts about it's value for longtime gain of female (or LGBTQ for that matter) readers. Which might not even be of interest to many of them.

Though i admit, that's perhaps just from my (limited) personal experience with female comic readers and their interests.

As for the X-men comics having a large diverse audience allready. Yeah not doubting that.
    I think that people are tereotyping women that are interested on comics. Usually manga attracts a lot more female readership for many reasons, accessibility is very easy on manga. I remember Perch saying how many times manga grew over comics graphic novel on bookstores.

I have a friend on twitter that i had no idea that she read X-men, because she stopped reading, it was a big surprise to me. She isn't interested on a gala to get back to x-men haha

X-men readership isn't really that diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    I wonder if the non x-writers had a say in characters under their purview being in this "event"? And also if they are mandated to incorporate whatever comes out of this gala into their books ongoing stories. It almost comes off as the x-office running roughshod over non-mutant books and other writers having to defer to whatever Hickman is doing. If I were a comic writer on a non x-book and was told from the higher ups that I had alter whatever story plans I had to accommodate Hickman's wider story I would not be happy. And if my book's characters role in said story was to get dragged and humiliated to make Krakoa look good I would be doubly pissed. On has to think that at some point there is going to be some pushback from other non x-writers, especially if they have to defer to Hickman. Did Slott or Aaron have any input, or were they and the other writers told to make their characters available because this event is about mutants showing out and all the major non-mutant characters have to be there to see Krakoa flex their power. I fully expect to see a lot of bad showings from certain characters, being humbled, embarrassed, humiliated and out maneuvered all to the benefit of Krakoa. This will not be a good look for the Avengers, FF or any other non-property. X-fans are going to love it though.
    I really doubt other offices will make the writers stop their stories to address Hellfire Gala. Tey probably put some limits on what can happen to not disrupt their own stories.
    Last edited by Rang10; 05-01-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I mean there is more, I wasn't trying to crunch the thread with photos but in seeing some people talk seeing real live photos might help get kind of a feel for what they were going for in the book

Now Cheeseburger Girl, that's what I mean! Bjork, it your heart out.

So if outsiders like Doctor Doom (Latveria), Black Panther (Wakanda) and the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, Namor the Sub Mariner (Atlantis) and others attend the Hellfire Gala will they be wearing fancy costumes as well ?.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    WHEW. Scott leave the fives, a ten is right HERE.
    Scott is a fool for letting this slip away. I don't believe in second chances.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    So if outsiders like Doctor Doom (Latveria), Black Panther (Wakanda) and the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, Namor the Sub Mariner (Atlantis) and others attend the Hellfire Gala will they be wearing fancy costumes as well ?.
    More than likely this will be the case, The probably won't be as overtop as the X-men designs but Doom, Namor and Black Panther are all extra so I could be wrong.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Yes I think so and the avengers too so I guess Wasp will get the Avengers ready for the Gala. I think Victor would think thatīs beneath him and still get his best official robes for the event while Namor and TīChalla bring their clothes for state meetings.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post

heres my ranking of all the outfits, this was kinda harder than i expected it to be
    Opinions may differ but ,Warpath's and Rachel's outfits are out of position big time..Both are D level imo.Laura's outfit is B/C level minimum.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Unlike the X-Office, the Marvel writers are not quite as invested in X-Men vs Marvel rivalry. It’s a job

And besides, contrary to the wishes/expectations/fears of some, there’s a hard limit to what can be done without drawing the Mouse’s attention