All-New Member

Default Looking for a specific Marvel comic, early '80's

So I've had many Marvel comics at various times but there is one that is rather obscure , but I'm sure many hear may know what I'm referring too....Sometime between about 1981-1983 or so, Marvel put out a very interesting comic that wasn't a story. It was really cool to me at the time , and now for nostalgia, and I'd love to find another copy of it. Basically, it was like a catalog of all of Marvels superheroes at that time, and was sort of like the equivalent of a baseball card for a baseballplayer....It listed each superhereos strength, their powers, and other facts about them and a short biography. I think it was one or two pages per superhero. I would LOVE to find another copy of that....it was a very satisfying read for the teenage me, for my 'must have a ranked, order in terms of weightlifting strength,etc,etc' to know who was physically stronger, who had stronger superpowers,etc....LOL...Does anyone remember this and/or have a link to screen shots/where to buy ,etc?

Thanks

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Strange View Post
    So I've had many Marvel comics at various times but there is one that is rather obscure , but I'm sure many hear may know what I'm referring too....Sometime between about 1981-1983 or so, Marvel put out a very interesting comic that wasn't a story. It was really cool to me at the time , and now for nostalgia, and I'd love to find another copy of it. Basically, it was like a catalog of all of Marvels superheroes at that time, and was sort of like the equivalent of a baseball card for a baseballplayer....It listed each superhereos strength, their powers, and other facts about them and a short biography. I think it was one or two pages per superhero. I would LOVE to find another copy of that....it was a very satisfying read for the teenage me, for my 'must have a ranked, order in terms of weightlifting strength,etc,etc' to know who was physically stronger, who had stronger superpowers,etc....LOL...Does anyone remember this and/or have a link to screen shots/where to buy ,etc?

Thanks
    Was it the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offici...arvel_Universe

First published 83-84.

All-New Member

That has to be it....but, I don't remember it being part of an edition...Seems like it was a 'one-off', because it seems to have had all the superheroes at the time, and not divided up alphabetically, although my memory is fuzzy lol...maybe a precursor to the series? I can't remember what the cover looked like either...the google search for those from your link didn't ring any bells..thanks!
    Last edited by Doctor Strange; 01-11-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Strange View Post

Thanks
    Are you sure it was a comic and not something from the Marvel Super-Heroes rpg released by TSR in 1984?

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

There was also the Marvel Comics Encyclopedia.

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Encycl...a-604864197738

Not sure when it first came out.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.