Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Let’s go back to X-men Unlimited and have these characters have some time to shine. Two or three stories an issue for a few issues. Marvel Comics Presents: X-men

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Let’s go back to X-men Unlimited and have these characters have some time to shine. Two or three stories an issue for a few issues. Marvel Comics Presents: X-men
    I suggested X-men Unlimited in the last page but it should be 1 story an issue. The short story format from the last volume were largely forgettable. I preferred the book when it originally launched as supplemental to the X-line and 1 issue with extra pages can do wonders

No other X-character has their own villains like Wolverine, which took years for Claremont to seed. A solo needs not just one but multiple recurring antagonists. Until anyone else gets those, their books won't work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    No other X-character has their own villains like Wolverine, which took years for Claremont to seed. A solo needs not just one but multiple recurring antagonists. Until anyone else gets those, their books won't work.
    It's something people don't understand here unfortunately especially during times like this when people are in rush to get comics out of the window.

That’s true. In addition to Stryfe, they attempted to give Cable some dedicated villains for his rogues gallery over the years, but none of them really stuck. Sinsear, Post, The Harbinger, Conquest... to name a few. Highly forgettable. All of them. His other primary villains are really more X-men/X-Force villains like Apocalypse, Sinister, the Externals and the MLF. Not truly Cable adversaries.

Whereas Logan has Sabretooth, Deathstrike, Bloodscream, Silver Samurai, Wendigo, Cyber, Omega Red and now Solem. To name a few.

It is shared universe that does not matter as much as people think does, They are tons of characters that are walking around with no good rogue gallery .Beside it is job of solo series to create those things.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-13-2021 at 04:49 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

This thread got be thinking about Legends of The Dark Knight series which ran throughout the late 80's to the mid 90's.

Too bad we can't get a X-title similar to it, where up and coming writers and artists can write a 2-3 issue arc with whatever X-character outside the bounds of continuity.

I would love to get some real weird ass stories with the myriad of X-characters that we have.

Wolverine is the best at what he does, and what he does is not get cancelled after 12 issues......

Incredible Member

Simple answer: popularity, which leads to sales, which leads to profits.

But beyond that:

(1) Logan benefits from having a long history (life lived) and a lot of "empty gaps" which gives writers a very wide berth in terms of telling stories. In reality it's almost endless.

(2) His healing factor also contributes to the sort of stories that can be told. Due to the fact that he always gets better, there are no lasting damages to the character that can be suffered. Physically at least. This raises the stakes in storytelling.

(3) Tied to (1), his interaction with the wider Marvel universe (both heroes and villains) further widens possibilities of stories. His featuring on multiple teams/groups, and friendships/colleague shows this.

Logan is argueably the most connected character in the Marvel Universe in terms of the "6 degrees of separation" principle.

To be honest, I used to be against only Logan having a shot at an ongoing and wanted more X-characters to have ongoings. Especially during/after the terrible (imo) Depowering, Death, "Absence" and Rebirth Arc/Era.

While there have been good runs (e.g. Gambit and Magneto in recent times come to mind), the reality is there aren't many (if at all any) that can carry an "ongoing".

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    This thread got be thinking about Legends of The Dark Knight series which ran throughout the late 80's to the mid 90's.

Too bad we can't get a X-title similar to it, where up and coming writers and artists can write a 2-3 issue arc with whatever X-character outside the bounds of continuity.

I would love to get some real weird ass stories with the myriad of X-characters that we have.
    That's why I liked the recent Juggernaut LS.
    A solo character LS but written in continuity (this is fantasy, it could still be weird) so that new and interesting characters and events could be used/referenced within the larger XU, would work very well, I think.

That format, could also be used to "flesh out" tertiary plots and ideas that exist in the current Krakoa context.
    If you structure it to four issues, and tell a concise story with a definitive start middle and end, using one writer and artist (both very skilled) you can have three self-contained but relevant stories in a year which you can now bundle and sell as maxi Trade.

Each instalment isn't going to rake in millions of dollars (not even on-goings are doing that) but that's not the point. The point is/should be to capture and hold existing and new readers with interesting and consistent stories while building expanding the existing world and characters.

I'm not suggesting anything that wasn't done, and successfully, in the past...the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine LS in 1985...just be more thoughtful and consistent and high quality, so the we actually look forward to the next LS.

An alternative, but very much in the same vein, would be to continue doing the One-shots...6 per year (one every two months) but still maintaining high quality, consistency and relevance.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Money. Percy`s Wolverine #1 sold more in dollars then HiX-Men #1.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 01-13-2021 at 06:52 AM.

$$$$$$$$$$

I do think there are a handful of other characters who, with the right push and a strong creative team, could see a revival and make a solo book work. Namely Cable and Gambit. X-23 too. The problem is just that some of their more recent books, especially in the case of Cable and Gambit (with Mr. and Mrs. X), just weren’t good enough. In the case of Cable, they keep sending him off into the timestream into alternate timelines and futures that nobody cares about and which disconnects him from the broader Marvel U. When he was at the height of his popularity, it was precisely the fact that they made him a big deal and put him at the center of a lot of stuff both in the X-books and also had him appearing across the Marvel Universe that was part of his appeal. Similar to Logan.

Wolverine scratched the "itch" of the Every-Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Money. Percy`s Wolverine #1 sold more in dollars then HiX-Men #1.
    Both Asmus and Bunn pitched Gambit solos to Marvel but they refused. Bunn told that for some reason Marvel is not interested.

It was when Iceman and Cable got new books.

It annoys me when Deadpool gets 8 issues mini in Nola where he fights Gambit villains but marvel are not interested to see how Gambit fights his villains.