Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Magik fits the profile of a character that can carry a solo. Magik you can write a gazillion stories about her being a monster slayer/Mystic detective. Good Interesting Occupation/Skill(Sorceror) + Aggressive attitude/Capability of having action + Known Enemies(Demons from Limbo) = Solo book. The only thing Magik lacks is a love interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Possessing a real-life skill might not help. The Thing had his solo and Two-In-One but his civilian skill as a pilot never influenced his stories.
    There's also Hawkeye (Clint) and Star-Lord who's hero skills are their civilian skills.
    Thing is a traditional hero aka you can write mindless stories of him fighting crime, The same with Hawkeye. Star-Lord is a Merc.

I never said skills is the "only" thing you need but to have an ongoing book it helps a lot.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-12-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I'm not even sure if Magik can carry a solo.

Well x-men started as team. JL and avengers were the team up of solo heroes.

I think besides Logan, the only other solo character with sales is Laura as Wolverine a bit ironic
    In terms of sales maybe not. Only way to know would be to try it, but the odds are pretty good it wouldn't do too well sales-wise nowadays. I was talking in terms of story potential. Someone like Cyclops only works long-term on a team, because that's who he is as a character. He is at a fundamental level unfit for a solo series because he's a one-trick pony and he loses his purpose if he doesn't have people to command. With someone like Magik it's different because she's in a totally different world. There is so much that can be done with her sorcery, her ruling an entire dimension, and her status as a hell lord making her a peer of Mephisto and Dormamu, and none of that has to involve the X-Men at all. It's a lot easier to picture 100 issues of Magik's solo adventures than it is the solo adventures of Cyclops or the other New Mutants.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Leah Williams did two good issues showing a Magik solo can work but I doubt one will surpass a Laura book.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Magik fits the profile of a character that can carry a solo. Magik you can write a gazillion stories about her being a monster slayer/Mystic detective. Good Interesting Occupation/Skill(Sorceror) + Aggressive attitude/Capability of having action + Known Enemies(Demons from Limbo) = Solo book. The only thing Magik lacks is a love interest.
    Many chaarcters if worked well can be solo chaarcters. The problem on X-men is that only wolverines have been selling well on solos.
    Magik doesnt has a guarantee that will sell enough to sustain a solo

Many chaarcters if worked well can be solo chaarcters. The problem on X-men is that only wolverines have been selling well on solos.
    Magik doesnt has a guarantee that will sell enough to sustain a solo
    That is not correct only Wolverine is a top 50 book. They are other X-men characters who can maintain solos but not at that level. Aquaman, Green Arrow, Iron Fist, Punisher, Hawkman, Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider all eat cancelation over, and over nobody would ever say these characters aren't solo characters. They are many X-men that can match the numbers of characters I just mentioned above.

If you guys want to have a convo on how the comic market sucks and only Spiderman, Venom, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Thor, Batman, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Spiderman, Wolverine, and X-men, Justice League, Avengers, Star Wars, Walking Dead can carry a book aka actually sustain numbers in Marvel or DC we can have it. But just know everything else degrades in numbers until they are cancellation level for Marvel or DC. People in this convo mistake the comic market being trash for characters can't carry a solo. Hellboy, Savage Dragon, Ninja Turtles, Spawn all stick around with numbers lower than numbers many of the X-books solos. The problem is Marvel and DC format more than the books themselves, manga like Jujustu Kazien,MHA, and Demon Slayer show up and excel which proves new or different things can work.

How the comic market is set up a terrible format for most characters saying characters can't carry a book ignores that nothing really works and over the last 50 years only Deadpool, Harley Quinn, and Venom have moved up to the consistent sellers group.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-12-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Severtal characters have done well with stealth solos

Jean - X-men Red
    Xavier - Xmen Legacy
    Rogue - X-men Legacy
    Kwannon - Fallen Angels

Kitty - I think one can make the argument for Maraurders

Way of X is looking to be that for Nightcrawler.

Yall it is not just about sales.

Marvel will keep trying certain characters even if they have several Ls (sometimes commercial, sometimes critical, sometimes both) under their belt.

Do not tell me that a well crafted Storm or Magik solo couldn’t outpace Cable.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Severtal characters have done well with stealth solos

Jean - X-men Red
    Xavier - Xmen Legacy
    Rogue - X-men Legacy
    Kwannon - Fallen Angels

Kitty - I think one can make the argument for Maraurders

Way of X is looking to be that for Nightcrawler.
    Kitty had X-Men Gold under Guggenheim.

Magik had the Zeb Wells New Mutants.

Cyclops had the Matt Fraction run.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That is not correct only Wolverine is a top 50 book. They are other X-men characters who can maintain solos but not at that level. Aquaman, Green Arrow, Iron Fist, Punisher, Hawkman, Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider all eat cancelation over, and over nobody would ever say these characters aren't solo characters. They are many X-men that can match the numbers of characters I just mentioned above.

If you guys want to have a convo on how the comic market sucks and only Spiderman, Venom, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Thor, Batman, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Spiderman, Wolverine, and X-men, Justice League, Avengers, Star Wars, Walking Dead can carry a book aka actually sustain numbers in Marvel or DC we can have it. But just know everything else degrades in numbers until they are cancellation level for Marvel or DC. People in this convo mistake the comic market being trash for characters can't carry a solo. Hellboy, Savage Dragon, Ninja Turtles, Spawn all stick around with numbers lower than numbers many of the X-books solos. The problem is Marvel and DC format more than the books themselves, manga like Jujustu Kazien,MHA, and Demon Slayer show up and excel which proves new or different things can work.

How the comic market is set up a terrible format for most characters saying characters can't carry a book ignores that nothing really works and over the last 50 years only Deadpool, Harley Quinn, and Venom have moved up to the consistent sellers group.
    Not eery books needs to sells on top 50. Selling around 20k to 30k is good enough for big two. Some books like supergirl, Robin, Catwoman survived decades mostly at this range.

Doctor Strange has been selling mostly well lately. These characters had long term solo books, not the best example to give.

No everything degrades on numbers for the big two. usually the solos for x-men characters degrades really fast, like not even 10 issues out above the cancelation level.

X-men are mostly about teams, solos should be well thought to not waste talent on a comics selling 15k. I don't see why any concern about x-men not having solos, x-men is mostly build around teams not solos.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Kitty had X-Men Gold under Guggenheim.

Magik had the Zeb Wells New Mutants.

Cyclops had the Matt Fraction run.
    And I wondered about this.

Does say Magik need the New Mutants as a supporting cast and if so, why not make a New Mutants book instead.

Not eery books needs to sells on top 50. Selling around 20k to 30k is good enough for big two. Some books like supergirl, Robin, Catwoman survived decades mostly at this range.

Doctor Strange has been selling mostly well lately. These characters had long term solo books, not the best example to give.

No everything degrades on numbers for the big two. usually the solos for x-men characters degrades really fast, like not even 10 issues out above the cancelation level.

X-men are mostly about teams, solos should be well thought to not waste talent on a comics selling 15k. I don't see why any concern about x-men not having solos, x-men is mostly build around teams not solos.
    Because the X-men is all about teams.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but most of them don't need solo books. I don't need to read about what Nightcrawler is doing on an average day if it doesn't related to whatever is happening to the X-Men at large. I've seen a few comments asking for a Cyclops solo but he's typically the star of whatever X-Men team book he's in, so what's the point? It's not like he has a bustling life outside of the X-Men. Wolverine does.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    And I wondered about this.

Does say Magik need the New Mutants as a supporting cast and if so, why not make a New Mutants book instead.

Because the X-men is all about teams.
    It was a reply to a post about stealth solos. Wells had one story he wanted to tell and that was about Magik and how she got her soul back and destroyed her greatest enemies. While Sam, Dani and Roberto had what to do, they were very much side characters in Magik's story.

As to whether Magik needs the New Mutants as a supporting cast, no. She's got her brother, Kitty, and Dr. Strange to start out with, and creating characters like an older apprentice of Belasco's or a figure for Illyana to mentor like Sapna isn't difficult. If anything it's the New Mutants who need Magik as the series collapsed after she and Wells left and she did fine in the X-Men Extinction and revolution teams without any of them. Dead Souls, which was even more of a stealth solo for Magik than the Wells run, though it was just a mini, only had one other classic New Mutant on the team with her.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Because most mutants have been written around the same central idea, and diverging from it would change them too much to be interesting. They've been written too well as a team, that if one strays away, other will follow, and it would just end up being a team book, and team books would sell better.

The whole premise has been "abandon individuality and strength in numbers." Wolverine has lived before the concept of these teams existed and is a lone wolf that is followed by tragedies.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It was a reply to a post about stealth solos. Wells had one story he wanted to tell and that was about Magik and how she got her soul back and destroyed her greatest enemies. While Sam, Dani and Roberto had what to do, they were very much side characters in Magik's story.

As to whether Magik needs the New Mutants as a supporting cast, no. She's got her brother, Kitty, and Dr. Strange to start out with, and creating characters like an older apprentice of Belasco's or a figure for Illyana to mentor like Sapna isn't difficult. If anything it's the New Mutants who need Magik as the series collapsed after she and Wells left and she did fine in the X-Men Extinction and revolution teams without any of them. Dead Souls, which was even more of a stealth solo for Magik than the Wells run, though it was just a mini, only had one other classic New Mutant on the team with her.
    Which I agree with the idea of "Stealth" solos and I wonder if Marvel is missing out with advertising them as such.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    This is probably an unpopular opinion but most of them don't need solo books. I don't need to read about what Nightcrawler is doing on an average day if it doesn't related to whatever is happening to the X-Men at large. I've seen a few comments asking for a Cyclops solo but he's typically the star of whatever X-Men team book he's in, so what's the point? It's not like he has a bustling life outside of the X-Men. Wolverine does.
    In general, I agree with this, but at the moment, with the new status quo on Krakoa, I absolutely do because I am so curious to know what he makes of it all and I hope Way of X fulfils this.