Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default What's your process for collecting Collected Editions?

How do you decide what Collected Editions you want to get? Especially if you read comics online as well?

Mighty Member

Click "buy," ask questions later

More seriously, for me, the calculus for double dipping on monthlies is usually do I think it's a story I'll want to read more than once more.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

All-New Member

Being from a country outside of the US right now I pre order everything and am just thankful for whatever gets delivered

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Is it something I’d rather have as singles or in one big book? Does it benefit the story having it read in one big sitting as an omnibus?

I only buy collected editions, no floppies at all and I seldom read digital comics. I essentially buy TPBs unless there is an Omnibus that makes more ''sense''.

Spectacular Member

Classic storylines/collections are what I try to pick up. Occasionally, I go to a store called Ollie's that is nearby and will pick up a few smaller TPBs super cheap of some lesser known/used characters or creative teams.
    Picked up 3 or 4 TPBs of the 1980's Suicide Squad, and some of Jeff Lemire's Animal Man run through that store. Some pretty good pick-ups overall.
    The only other thing I base picking any up by is the Good Deals thread and some reviews online for certain books.
    Having been out of comics for quite a while, these helped me in trying out Invincible and some of the DC Eaglemoss stuff.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    How do you decide what Collected Editions you want to get? Especially if you read comics online as well?
    I depends on a number of factors oh and I don't read online comics:

1) The need to buy a collected edition so that I can sell off the corresponding single issues.

2) Normally I like to double or triple dip on a book whether it's to upgrade on a nicer deluxe copy or to have as back-up.

3) If it's a seminal story that I'd like to have in my collection.

All-New Member

I do all my reading on digital and in collected editions. My big questions for deciding on which are always: (1) is this a great run or story that I will want to read multiple times? and/or (2) does this run have great art that I will want to linger on? If so, then I buy it in collected edition - mostly in the oversized formats.

I use digital for trying new things, reading stuff that's not well collected or out of print, and for reading the stuff I wouldn't go back to multiple times.

I do some research on what the most critically-acclaimed stuff is. Then, I see if I can find a good bargain on it (usually in a used lot, or from InStockTrades/CheapGraphicNovels/etc.). Then, I read it. If I love it and want to keep it in my library, so be it. If I don't totally love it and don't see myself ever re-reading it again in my life, I put it up for sale online and try to recoup most of my costs.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Click "buy," ask questions later

More seriously, for me, the calculus for double dipping on monthlies is usually do I think it's a story I'll want to read more than once more.
    Same. I throw money at DCBS/IST and hope I don't regret it later when falling over stacks of books in the middle of the night...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The question I ask when purchasing a collected edition of a comic is, "would it be impossible to find all the single issues of this?

Sometimes if a collection is from before the 2000s I get it anyway even if I have the single issues.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-16-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Mostly reprints of pre 2000 comics.
    And I'm not a fan of reading comics online.

All-New Member

have moneys - spend it.

I suck at reading comics online or digitally anyhow. Have made a few mistakes buying, but my instinct serves me well in most cases.

As far as independent stuff goes, and I mean anything not big two, then I generally just buy it if I’m into the writer or artist and I hope for the best. I do t usually buy floppies of independent or buy them digitally unless it’s a collected edition. I do have repeats in actual book versus digital. If I really like a book or series, I may have both. Love to see them on my shelf and have that physical copy, but I like options when I’m away from home.
    When it comes to Marvel, I buy almost everything Spider-Man related in physical collected edition. And I may get some other books if I really like the characters, writer, or artist. But I have been reading in Marvel Unlimited a good deal lately and as long as that’s going, I won’t need to get certain things physically. But just like the independent stuff, I like to have them on my shelf if I really like it. And I’m all for selling a whole collection on eBay if it doesn’t stand the test of time for me or I just flat out feel I made a bad buy.

My purchases typically fall into two categories: stuff I truly love and nostalgic stuff I read as a kid. So that’s why I’ve got my Absolute Swamp Things and Sandmans next to a Heroes Reborn omnibus on my shelf.