Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Oh, and the only part of my collection I've seriously considered culling is my single issue collection. I did bring that side of my collection down immensely a few years ago, when I was living in an apartment and decided to trim down my longboxes. I got rid of a lot of floppies which weren't worth much and I didn't care to own anymore, so I filled up 5-6 longboxes and put them next to a garbage dumpster where I noticed kids wait for a schoolbus next to.....I watched with a smirk on my face as the kids strolled up to their schoolbus stop, noticed the longboxes, then they started pillaging through them. After they were done, a fat black dude was putting garbage away in the dumpster, noticed the longboxes, looked into them, then he quickly ran to his car, drove up, and put the longboxes in his trunk, lol.

I currently have around 20-25 longboxes, and although this predominantly consists of issues I like, I've thought about trimming it down big-time to only 5-6 longboxes and getting rid of the rest via eBay auctions and the like. Maybe even sell them to mycomicshop.com (Which I've done many times in the past, it's how I've slightly kept that part of my collection in check). The sales I've done to mycomicshop.com were convenient. I'd rack up a bunch of credit, and eventually buy an omnibus or what have you. That's how I got the Thor by J Michael Straczynski omnibus, as well as the variant Captain Britain omnibus (Alan Moore).

Mighty Member

I really only get trades if it's easier to buy, or if it's a short mini that I don't mind trade buying.

Usually, i'll stick to classic Spider-man stuff (epics And complete editions) but otherwise I tend to get floppies for my current comics.

Also, i prefer thicker trades to smaller ones. One of the reasons I don't trade wait is that I hate waiting Six months for five issues when i could just read them monthly.
    I prefer more complete editions where i get a bunch more story.

Also I never read digital.

Depends if it's a series that I have but don't have easy access to as singles like Supergirl by Peter David then the TPBs or HCs are easy way for me to re-read a series that I love with destroying my back to get them. In some cases it's the only way that I'll ever read an issue or a classic story before I was born like Action Comics Archives or Marvel Masterworks because of the extreme cost and rarity of those issues.

If it's a series that I love like JHW3/Blackman run on Batwoman buying the single issues and TPBs or HCs is a way that I show my support of the series and/or the creators and to tell the publisher, DC in that case, that "I enjoyed that run and that I will support the series." This is extremely rare for me now of days due to cost.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm about done buying singles. Maybe 2022 is that year. I'm under 10 books now. My heyday in the 90s was 35-40 issues(depending on what minis were out at any given time) a month. I also worked for my LCS with an employee discount of 30% so my funds went further. Had less obligations then as well.

I'm very likely done buying soft TPBs with the caveat that it isn't something I may see in an Omni.

My main buying is Deluxes and Omnis. Now, my wife would like me to trim it down to a handful of characters. Perhaps one day but not today.
    I don't buy Creator specific Omnis and if I didn't read it then, I'm not getting it now...Power Pack, looking at you as well as Knights of Pendragon.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm about done buying singles. Maybe 2022 is that year. I'm under 10 books now. My heyday in the 90s was 35-40 issues(depending on what minis were out at any given time) a month. I also worked for my LCS with an employee discount of 30% so my funds went further. Had less obligations then as well.

I'm very likely done buying soft TPBs with the caveat that it isn't something I may see in an Omni.

My main buying is Deluxes and Omnis. Now, my wife would like me to trim it down to a handful of characters. Perhaps one day but not today.
    I don't buy Creator specific Omnis and if I didn't read it then, I'm not getting it now...Power Pack, looking at you as well as Knights of Pendragon.
    I'm doing almost exactly this.

Buy hardcovers I like/want to read. Some have been creator specific(Kirby Captain America, Byrne FF, Cates Cosmic) but I want the full story if I'm doing that.

Floppies and tpb only at steep discounts(75%+).

Of course, that also meant I read some random Black Hammer floppies, really liked them, and then went for all 5 library editions.