Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    They retconned Lingerie Lass Annual #1 a decade ago!! That was, quite explicitly, shown to be due to the manipulations of Crotchrash, who'd used the Cosmic Crabs to infect Lingerie Lass, so NONE of her actions are canon.

I'm done with this conversation until you start taking this more seriously.
    If I didn't take the Underverse seriously I wouldn't have a 9.8 CGC copy of Underpants Man #127, the first appearance of Underoo, his kangaroo counterpart from the parallel dimension of Down Undies. Cost me a small fortune to acquire that gem, but I just had to. Just like I had to flex on you just now. But since we're flexing, you clearly forgot Unmentionables #42 where Crotchrash (while admittedly under the effects of Kleinuminium Calvinite) confessed to being a charlatan the whole time and thus Lingerie Lass's actions were always her own!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The consequences? DC continuity is even more confusing then it was in the past. So Diana remembers her clay birth and her being Zeus's kid? Cassie remembers being Zeus's daughter and now some nobody of a gods daughter? How does one deal with that? (I know they will deal with it by not dealing with it but still)
    Seriously this bugs me now? How will this work.

Simple: they'll ignore these consequences. Cassie grew up as the only child of a single mother, not knowing or caring who her father was. She became Wonder Woman's number one fan not knowing or caring who her father was. She became Wonder Girl not knowing or caring who her father was. She even encountered Zeus and had the chutzpah to ask him for superpowers not knowing or caring who her father was. It was then revealed that Zeus was her father. When she found out, that didn't really affect her. It was kinda sorta part of the reason why Ares decided to give her a magical lasso; but frankly, I think he would have done that no matter what her heritage was.

Heck, she underwent a more radical change during the “World Without Young Justice” event back in the early 2000s, when her mentor was changed to Dionysus and she became a plus-sized heroine for the duration. She retained her memories of that after the event was over, but without any confusion as to her identity.

Her different possible parentages don't have much of an effect of who she is now; but with everyone involved being able to remember all of them, any of them could potentially come into play if the writer comes up with an interesting idea from it.

If someone wants to do a story about heroes going to therapy to sort out their conflicting sets of memories, they could always reopen Sanctuary. With Didio gone, they might even be able to make a good story out of it.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Spectacular Member

Is it stated that everyone now remembers or that they have all memories? -- The easiest way to deal with this would be to have characters ''remember'' things the same way people talk about their ''past lives'' ....

In my past lives, my parents died of old age, then there was this life where they died in a car crash, etc ..... no emotional tethering, no ''living back''.. .just the knowledge of these ''past lives''

In the penultimate chapter of Death Metal, Wonder Woman dipped the Lasso of Truth into the Cosmic Forge, essentially feeding Truth into the cosmos. Back on Earth 0, Superman immediately reacted, saying that he remembered everything now — the implication being that so did everyone else.

Looking back earlier: when Iris Allen regained her pre-Flashpoint memories, she at one point commented how strange it felt to have two sets of memories in her head. I don't recall any indication of her her getting confused as to which was which; and I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the rule rather than the exception: at least four overlapping sets of memories in everyone's heads, but structured well enough that most of them can keep them straight. I wouldn't go so far as to say that only one set matters to them, though I'm sure there are individuals for which that's true; the point appears to be that, as a rule, it all matters now. But I suspect that the writers will for the most part just play it off as “most are coping reasonably well”.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    Seriously this bugs me now? How will this work.
    Honestly, it doesn't really matter. Maybe it means characters have multiple conflicting memories, maybe it just means that they call back to older stories they couldn't before but at the end of the day all that truly matters is did you enjoy the story.

Listen I'm currently reading Batman/Catwoman, you know where it fits....who knows. Because it is a book set in three time periods, the beginning of their relationship, the present day where they are still together even though Tynion has them separate for a year, and a future that will never come to pass because they actually let Batman die and Helena is Batwoman in a future where there is no Luke Fox like Future State, another potential future that will probably never come. Read the story and enjoy and maybe it will make sense maybe it won't, it is the risk we take.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the purpose of the Metaverse isn't just to preserve an iteration of Superman; it's to preserve the stories that no longer fit the new timeline. That includes preserving every iteration of Superman, but it isn't limited to that.

It's not the new Earth 1; it's the post-Crisis Earth. Like the Golden Age Earth, there was no (accessible) Multiverse at the time, so there was no need to name the new Earth.

I would say that that wasn't a pocket dimension; it was the Sixth Dimension — or at least in the Sixth Dimension. And “archived” and “destroyed” aren't mutually exclusive terms.
    But wasn't the preservation of all those stories more than adequately achieved by Hypertime? What do we have now that Hypertime did not provide us ages ago?

A bad rep.

I don't entirely understand why, because to me the concept of the Metaverse basically is Hypertime in all but name; but for some reason, there's a segment of the fanbase who looks at Hypertime and goes “eww, yuck!” but looks at the Metaverse and goes “cool concept!”
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have lost count of the number of times I've heard writers tell the same story about how they couldn't do something because an editor nixed it for dumb continuity reasons. The most famous example was Neil Gaiman's Superman/Green Lantern story that Mike Carlin wouldn't publish until the wild success of Sandman and even more continuity shifts prompted them to change their minds.
    Fair enough. I never read anything like that but I'm sure there are plenty of interviews of DC writers I have not read.

Astonishing Member

I don't think that everyone remembering everything is going to be relevant going forward unless writers decide to bring it up(most likely for an identity crisis storyline or something).

Technically, nothing is relevant unless the writers decide to take it up.
    Rogue wears rouge.