Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    flight, superhuman strength, x-ray vision, heat vision, cold breath, super-speed, enhanced hearing, nigh-invulnerability

I dont think there is a semi-current thread for this (not to be confused with Source of powers)..

This seems to always be one of the more controversial things about Superman/Kryptonians. Do you have a preferred power level/set of powers when it comes to Superman/Kryptonians?

I have always been fine with him being the "strongest" in the world but have never been a fan of Supes having the ability to breathe in space or survive a long time up there.
    I guess this evolves from era to era. At this point, I think writers want to be far away from the Byrne reboot version of the 1980s where he could not breathe in space, etc.

I prefer the (generally) lesser-powered Superman, that is, not moving planets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I mean, Mongul would wipe out Metallo. So if Metallo is a threat to Clark while he is on Earth (even without counting the kryptonite), then Clark absolutely cannot fight Mongul alone.

Superman is still more powerful than Metallo, that kryptonite makes him a threat, not thst he is a very powerful Terminator wannabe. So superman would still do good against Mongul, even though Imo he should be a lil less strong than him, mostly when he can use his other powers and his wits to even the odds. Mongul I thought pretty much stated somewhere (maybe it was the YJ show) thst he was from a red sun place to, and gets powered up under a yellow sun.

Either way Mongul should be a threat, we don't need him getting stopped in 2 seconds, make superman work for the W
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Okay so can you define a little bit better what exactly he can do on earth and what he can do in space? And what hurts him on hurt, and what hurts him in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Okay so can you define a little bit better what exactly he can do on earth and what he can do in space? And what hurts him on hurt, and what hurts him in space.

It's up to the writer, on earth could be bryne to present power level, and in space could be present power level to silver age, aslong as they keep the "rules" consistent.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Extraordinary Member

Thinking about this some more, I'd go with the more mild version of the Silver Age powers. None of the truly silly stuff, no sneezing out stars, no pulling planets with a huge chain....but I'd put them as with a very few exceptions the strongest and likely toughest beings in the DCU, (keeping in sundry villains who can match them or beat them at various times).

I just think there should be a hierarchy.....and since SM was the first great comic book superhero, and that's his thing, it should be for all his species.

Mighty Member

I say the same like in the Wonder Woman power complains thread, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Shazam, and the other Superman level superheroes shouldn't go as crazy as the silver age, but be planetary, faster than light and have all their own somewhat unique abilities and powers. Sun dipping, god wave, Fernus and so on, can bring them higher, but just temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Thinking about this some more, I'd go with the more mild version of the Silver Age powers. None of the truly silly stuff, no sneezing out stars, no pulling planets with a huge chain....but I'd put them as with a very few exceptions the strongest and likely toughest beings in the DCU, (keeping in sundry villains who can match them or beat them at various times).

I just think there should be a hierarchy.....and since SM was the first great comic book superhero, and that's his thing, it should be for all his species.
    Just if the other Superman level superheroes are part of the very few exceptions, anything else would be even worse than Bat-God.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 05-14-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I like Superman to have all the powers to the Nth degree. And it's really not all the powers. It's just the five senses amped up to who knows where. Its not about if Superman can do something, its about how he does it and if he should.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I like Superman to have all the powers to the Nth degree. And it's really not all the powers. It's just the five senses amped up to who knows where. Its not about if Superman can do something, its about how he does it and if he should.
    Nth degree?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Nth degree?
    Maybe I am using that word wrong. I thought it meant to an endless degree but it might mean nothing, so the opposite of that.

I looked it up!

"To the utmost, as in They'd decked out the house to the nth degree. This expression comes from mathematics, where to the nth means “to any required power” (n standing for any number). It was first recorded in 1852."

As others have said, all DC top tiers should be around planetary. Just put a magic barrier or spell by the old gods on Earth or something to prevent the planet being busted during the numerous alien invasions and the many S-tier villains just chilling on Earth.

The other stuff like Sun dipping
    , God Mode, Speed force, Fernus, Planetary Telepathy, etc cam be kept as special temporary power-ups.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Power levels "could" be easy, if they wanted to go this route.
    -dialed down on earth, in our armosphere(still the top guy in planet of course), then in space with nothing blocking the solar energy he grows in power to go like levels.
    Simple really, you get him to struggle on earth, but travel to anywhere in space, same guy, different effect in his body depending on where he is.
    I do like the idea of various characters, including Superman, but also Green Lanterns, Dawnstar, etc. having the ability to fly X fast in atmosphere, and then somehow enter warp speed when in outer space. Because even the speed of light is ridiculously too slow for the sort of stuff they need to be able to do, visiting alien worlds (in less than *several years* travel time!) or patrolling an entire 'sector' of space, and yet is way too fast to ever use on the actual planet (barring some sort of Speed Force mcguffin).

And yeah, having his strength fluctuate based on whether or not he's in Earth's atmosphere is interesting. On the one hand, more direct exposure to all the Sun's radiation, not much of it being blocked by the Van Allen belts and magnetosphere, etc. On the other hand, more exposure to radiation from all those other stars, and some them are red...

What even happens to Superman under the light of a white or blue star?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    I say the same like in the Wonder Woman power complains thread, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Shazam, and the other Superman level superheroes shouldn't go as crazy as the silver age, but be planetary, faster than light and have all their own somewhat unique abilities and powers. Sun dipping, god wave, Fernus and so on, can bring them higher, but just temporarily.

Just if the other Superman level superheroes are part of the very few exceptions, anything else would be even worse than Bat-God.
    The thing with Superman, (and the other Kryptonians), is that being just about the most powerful living beings out there is their main shtick. Wonder Woman OTOH is a warrior first and foremost, and while in mythology they can be very powerful indeed---apart from the mythical Heracles, they mostly powerful, but not godlike. Even Heracles turns out not to be that powerful in the end.

Their big attraction is fighting against overwhelming odds and winning by guile, heroism, chance, whatever. No one says the Kryptonians are invincible, just among the toughest in the universe. That's my take, anyway. YMMV.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I do like the idea of various characters, including Superman, but also Green Lanterns, Dawnstar, etc. having the ability to fly X fast in atmosphere, and then somehow enter warp speed when in outer space. Because even the speed of light is ridiculously too slow for the sort of stuff they need to be able to do, visiting alien worlds (in less than *several years* travel time!) or patrolling an entire 'sector' of space, and yet is way too fast to ever use on the actual planet (barring some sort of Speed Force mcguffin).

What even happens to Superman under the light of a white or blue star?
    An issue involving Supergirl suggests that they power Kryptonians almost beyond their control. Of course Rann at the time had three such suns.... Makes you wonder why Jor and Zor didn't send their kids to the advanced planet where they seem nice and where he'd be just about the most powerful being in the universe...