Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Not on the coast? The docks and shipping play a huge part in just about every Batman story dealing with organized crime...and he has a Batboat docked in the Batcave.
    Gotham is definitely located on a sea coast no matter what state you place it in.
    Well, depends on how you want to define a "sea coast".

New Orleans has some major port areas, but it's not directly on an ocean; it's got the Gulf of Mexico on its border, and there's also the Mississippi River. Connecticut isn't directly off of the Atlantic Ocean, either. It's got this massive pile of dirt and rocks (known as "Long Island") between it and the Atlantic, but it does border on an estuary known as the Long Island Sound.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Actually in one comic Metropolis is in New York

Oh, I haven't read Doomsday Clock, but then again, I don't really pay that much attention to Metropolis so the info I know is the Delaware version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Depends on how physically close together Gotham City and Blüdhaven are located as to whether that would work. You'd also essentially be sticking New York City between Gotham City and Blüdhaven doing that, since Connecticut and New Jersey aren't directly connected. (Also, are you assuming Gotham City and Blüdhaven are on the coastlines of their respective states or not?)
    Bludhaven and Gotham are either 2 hours drive, 2 miles drive, 20 miles drive, or 20 minutes drive. I don't remember. There's a number 2 in there.

Either way, they're close enough that bodies dumped from the northern port of Bludhaven can wash out in Gotham's south harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Gotham and Bludhhaven being on the coast vary depending on the story and writer, I think. Personally, I always assumed that Bludhaven was coastal city in New Jersey and Gotham was close to a river or lake. Never got coastal vibes from Gotham at all.
    Since the No Man's Land story, Gotham City is made of three islands on Gotham Bay off the coast of New Jersey, but even before that, Gotham City is located on a coast or have a beach since at least the silver age.

The river vibe you're getting, if you're reading modern comics, is probably because you often see the Batmobile driving across a bridge, but it's not a river, it's the Gotham Bay. Wayne Manor is located on the mainland, so every time Batman drives, he crosses over the bay to the islands where Gotham City is located.

Then since the city is divided between three large islands (plus two smaller ones for Arkham and Blackgate), the Batmobile will always cross a bridge when they go from one part to the other.

The "lake" is most likely the Gotham Bay

Incredible Member

Honestly while Gotham and Metropolis both serve as counterpoints of New York. Frank Miller stated in one interview: “Metropolis is New York in the daytime; Gotham City is New York at night”. Dennis O’Neil put it more detail: “Gotham is Manhattan below Fourteenth Street at 3 a.m., November 28 in a cold year. Metropolis is Manhattan between Fourteenth and One Hundred and Tenth Streets on the brightest, sunniest July day of the year.”

With Gotham, I always. thought Newark, New Jersey (because most people also put Gotham in New Jersey since the "World's Greatest Superhero" comic panel), or Boston, because of what Kurt Busiek said: " It's set in Boston because we wanted to set it in a place that felt to Bruce like Gotham City. Boston has preserved a lot of the older buildings and there are neighborhoods that just feel like it would be a great place for Batman to be tooling around. It allowed us to go a little differently than Manhattan in Secret Identity and gave us a background of visual images that John Paul could play with that were distinctive and kinda gothic and spooky." But in continuity, it’s usually placed Northern Jersey although have argued, it’s more Southern Jersey:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj....tputType%3Damp

https://nj1015.com/is-batmans-gotham...in-new-jersey/

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’ve always thought Gotham to be Newark, or Jersey City, and Bludhaven to be Atlantic City.

Opal City would be my best guess for DC’s Boston analogue.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’ve always thought Gotham to be Newark, or Jersey City, and Bludhaven to be Atlantic City.

Yeah I remember going to an convention and it was commonly agreed that Newark is the closest real world counterpart to Gotham if NYC is out the picture. Opal City being a Boston analogue makes sense, but after Batman:Creature of the Night and Kurt Busiek interview, I can’t unsee Gotham having elements of Boston now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post

Parts of the Joker movie was filmed in New Jersey, especially the part Bruce's parents were murdered and I recognized that area which is Journal Square, NJ.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, depends on how you want to define a "sea coast".

New Orleans has some major port areas, but it's not directly on an ocean; it's got the Gulf of Mexico on its border, and there's also the Mississippi River. Connecticut isn't directly off of the Atlantic Ocean, either. It's got this massive pile of dirt and rocks (known as "Long Island") between it and the Atlantic, but it does border on an estuary known as the Long Island Sound.
    I think you'd have to be really pedantic to say that New Orleans and Connecticut weren't on the sea coast

OP Question - I've always assumed so.

In my DC/Marvel crossover story "Convergence Point" (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1319924...vergence-Point) I placed Gotham City in New Jersey basically it replaced Atlantic City but much gritter & darker
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think you'd have to be really pedantic to say that New Orleans and Connecticut weren't on the sea coast
    Or very factual.
    Hey, I once worked in the education department at an aquarium, so that was an important point. The water in the Long Island Sound isn't pure ocean salt water, it's a water with a lower salinity called "brackish".