Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Is Gotham City in New Jersey?

Of course the states of fictitious cities in the DC Universe such as Gotham or Metropolis are never explicitly revealed, but I heard from multiple sources that Gotham most likely is in the state of New Jersey?

Is this true? If so, what evidence from the comics is there to support this?

From Amazing World of DC Comics #14:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Comics%29.jpg

From Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #1:
    https://galeri.uludagsozluk.com/13/b...tesi_23009.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Spectacular Member

If it’s true, I’d expect people there to have a Philly accent. I mean, in the movies, they all seem to have a NY accent while Selina has some 40s femme fatale accent.

I think it depends at one point it was in delware and metropolis was in new york

yeah, Gotham has been pretty consistently depicted as being in Jersey more often than not. honestly, with the distinct boroughs and blocks in Gotham, they could probably make Gotham it's own state, and have a Gotham city in the state of Gotham (a la New York).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I think it depends at one point it was in delware and metropolis was in new york
    It's Metropolis that's in Delaware but both cities drew inspiration from NYC. Gotham is NYC at night, Metropolis is NYC at day, forget who said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    From Amazing World of DC Comics #14:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Comics%29.jpg

From Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #1:
    https://galeri.uludagsozluk.com/13/b...tesi_23009.jpg
    Since that map has Atlantic City I might as well mentioned it's used by Tim Seeley as the main inspiration for the look of Bludhaven, which is located south of Gotham, so I kinda assume the modern Gotham City is located further north, closer to the inspiration for the current island location that is Manhattan island, no longer at Delaware Bay.
    The islands of Gotham City has its own Gotham Bay after all.

By the way, Caivu, how's the 3D Gotham City project going?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    yeah, Gotham has been pretty consistently depicted as being in Jersey more often than not. honestly, with the distinct boroughs and blocks in Gotham, they could probably make Gotham it's own state, and have a Gotham city in the state of Gotham (a la New York).
    I think there is a version that uses The State of Gotham, but not in the comics... oh it's Nolanverse.

---

Oh... might as well mention it because it was asked on socmed before... while real life state of New Jersey abolish the death penalty in 2007, the comic keeps it.

Gotham City in BTAS is located in the state of New York though and Batman Forever has statue of Liberty.
    In King's Batman, Gotham has its own statue of Liberty called the statue of Justice because of course it is ^^