Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Daredevil, #7

Mark Waid and Javier Rodriguez' "Daredevil" #7 is just another awesome issue of the series, and an "Original Sin" tie-in, full of the usual surprises, beautifully arranged art, stunning colors and understanding of the characters.

Full review here.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

My favourite part of the issue was when Matt and Maggie had that discussion. That was done well imo.

I also agree that the art was great.

This was really good (besides Shuri looking like a villain). I knew the Jack thing would be more than it seemed, seriously the watcher needs some eye drops for that half assed revelation.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    This was really good (besides Shuri looking like a villain). I knew the Jack thing would be more than it seemed, seriously the watcher needs some eye drops for that half assed revelation.
    What do you get when you match a has been prize fighter with a dysfunctional girl like Maggie? It's been a lingering question in the back of the minds of Marvel readers since Daredevil appeared in that musty fight Gym looking to avenge his fathers death. What kind of person marries a hopeless prize fighter anyway? Anybody who marries said prize fighter has to be some kind of wallflower, like Rockys girlfriend in the movies. That Maggie then fled, leaving her child with a dysfunctional prize fighter, tells you Maggie isn't all there either. Was she blackmailed, or was the risk too much for her to stay and draw danger to her family? What did she get mixed up in?

I admit, I doubted this story but Mark Waid proved me wrong. Just a fantastic issue that just works into continuity. Well done.

Gonna miss Javier's work on this book.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

At this point it tends to be taken for granted that Waid's Daredevil is great but this issue was a bracing reminder of just how great it is.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Loved this issue. Matt in Wakanda meeting the queen was awesome.

I thought the entire concept of Matt in Wakanda sounded kinda weird, but it definately worked.

Waids Daredevil book is a classic, and this issue shows you just why.

BANNED

I just reread the issue. And I have to say Waid's consistency as a writer is pretty impressive. I jumped on board because I am a fan of all things Wakanda, but it looks like I may have to go back and get me some Daredevil books. Don't get me wrong I've been a fan of the character since the Frank Miller days--but obnly periodically collected. The McDaniel era. Shadow War.

Anyway, I thought the tie into Wakanda was handled smoothly..the synopsis helped me get up to speed. I didn't feel like Shuri ( the Queen) was depicted as a tyrant. spoilers:
    Her nation wanted to boost its defensive capabilities and she had to keep it a secret..the US general saw his opportunity to get his hands on some tech. Some nuns discovered what was going on, and in the name of secrecy--were silenced.
    end of spoilers Neither was Wakanda. I understand why things had to go down as they did--Wakanda has had internal turmoil, with some political figures going rogue and traitorous.

Matt was written brilliantly. He is after all a Lawyer and knows how to adjust to rules, and can see loopholes even tho he is blind. I understand that Waid has gotten some flak for writing things in a lighter tone--but from what I read he doesn't dodge somber subjects.

The Book has gotten me interested in ole devil horns again.

And how about that art and coloring. Both handled by Javier Rodriguez

Well Done!

BANNED

I have to smh at how far Shuri has fallen. Kidnapping American citizens is over the top. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    I have to smh at how far Shuri has fallen. Kidnapping American citizens is over the top. :\
    That's the advantage of having Shuri as ruler of Wakanda as opposed to T'CHalla. You can tell these sort of stories.

Not that T'Challa is necessarily a saint or anything himself (see Priests run), but marvel has far more incentive to keep his hands clean. I realize it's a bit silly to say that as T'Challa had spent the past few months plotting to blow up planets, but I still think had T'Challa been ruler of Wakanda this story would have been different. Wakanda probably would have been doing all this behind his back.

Shuri on the other hand, good or bad, gets to own it. Not that this makes her a flat out villain, but they don't need to sugar coat her either. If they want Shuri to hold a bunch of nuns hostage, they can get away doing that with her.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's the advantage of having Shuri as ruler of Wakanda as opposed to T'CHalla. You can tell these sort of stories.

Not that T'Challa is necessarily a saint or anything himself (see Priests run), but marvel has far more incentive to keep his hands clean. I realize it's a bit silly to say that as T'Challa had spent the past few months plotting to blow up planets, but I still think had T'Challa been ruler of Wakanda this story would have been different. Wakanda probably would have been doing all this behind his back.

Shuri on the other hand, good or bad, gets to own it. Not that this makes her a flat out villain, but they don't need to sugar coat her either. If they want Shuri to hold a bunch of nuns hostage, they can get away doing that with her.
    Man, that's screwed up if Shuri deliberately kidnapped a couple of nuns out of the US. That's a declaration of war, almost.

These Original Sin tie ins have been ok but since the time wasting/build up first three issues of Hulk vs Iron Man to 'enhance' the fourth issue twist they all seem to be following the same pattern. Upset a particular fan group to then have the truth be the complete opposite. Not to say this wasn't a good issue, it was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Man, that's screwed up if Shuri deliberately kidnapped a couple of nuns out of the US. That's a declaration of war, almost.
    She did it because they were going to embarrass Wakanda, apparently.

?

I hope waid follows up on what exactly the us/wakandan forces had been working on that was so sensitive

I agree the response seems over the top. My hunch is there is a reason. Maybe not. Maybe he just made Shuri look like a total B for no reason. It is a good look for her