Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Future State: Justice League #1 Discussion/Spoilers

This was one of my most anticipated books from the Future State line, not only because it was a wider exploration of many heroes from this era but also because the now fan-favorite writer Joshua Williamson was in charge and I'm happy to say that both premise and execution are a success.

Williamson opens the story with an appropriate exposition about the main characters that doesn't feel as exposition at all and is pretty humourous in how it's handled. Speaking of which, this surprisingly involves characters like Cobalt Blue and the Ultra-Violet Lantern and at first I was like "Really?" but I was willing to give them a chance since Williamson might come up with a good twist to terrible ideas and he actually did.

He killed them!

Yeah, this story starts immediately the right way.

But that's far from the only positive since the author creates an interesting situation where the team prefer to keep their secret identities from each other due to something that happened to the old team. This plot plays with the mystery about what happened in the past as well as how the new cast handles this status quo and the writer manages to create interesting situations because there are a few members that are actually close to each other despite of their rules which developes compelling dynamics and personalities.

The story escalates pretty quickly once that the true villains are revealed and I never knew that Williamson was that much of a fan of Grant Morrison's work but here we are and makes me excited for what's coming next.

Robson Rocha's artwork is pretty vibrant and follows the story precisely.

There's a second segment about the Justice League Dark written by Ram V and it's more about what happened to the classic team... Well, "James Tynion IV's classic team" which is not a good sign but at least the write provides a few intriguing changes for them and shows what they had to due to survive in future where they're hunted by Merlin. It's compelling enough but not as good as the main story. Marcio Takara's artwork is pretty solid.

Overall, a worth reading installment, if anything for Williamson's take. Wish most of the line was like this.

Yeah when the Legion was dead I got to admit I thought it was a complete fake out given the solicitation but when we got to the ending it was a much better idea.

I enjoyed the Justice League Dark so I was cool with the back up we got, though I’ve been noticing lately how Etrigan keeps getting treated as a semi-villain and that kind of continues here. It was nice to see Ragman be cool though.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

"My family will finally get revenge on the flash legacy."

Cobalt Blue, my dude, you don't even need to do anything

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

Yeah, the DC writers are seemingly hellbent on wiping out the Flash legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah when the Legion was dead I got to admit I thought it was a complete fake out given the solicitation but when we got to the ending it was a much better idea.

I enjoyed the Justice League Dark so I was cool with the back up we got, though I’ve been noticing lately how Etrigan keeps getting treated as a semi-villain and that kind of continues here. It was nice to see Ragman be cool though.
    I read Hitman recently and Etrigan is a straight up villain there. He seems to have definitely been a much more morally evil character until times past, the Hyde to Blood’s Jekyll. Or maybe him being evil IS his default state, and Etrigan the hero was always the alternate take
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-12-2021 at 08:26 AM.

I thought both parts are decent. I prefer the JLD part more so I wanna read Ram V's JLD issues now.

Seems like Andy and Jess have a thing going on?

This issue was really enjoyable. Makes me sad we only have one other issue with this team, but it was nice that we were able to see the dynamics of the team. Jo as the team's detective is a treat and makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

Funniest thing I have read in a while. lol

re-posting my thoughts from the Future State thread:

just read Future State: Justice League and HA! I nailed the Legion of Doom roster! but also HA, they all got taken out immediately LOL. pretty solid story, it seems like only Batman and Green Lantern are actually following the rules about fraternizing which actually makes sense for those two mantles in a way. also, Batman always being in shadow? hilarious. it was just funny to me how consistently he was cloaked in shadow or silently creeping in the background.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

It seems like the writers are trying to say that future JL is weak because they're not close as the previous incarnations, but the previous JL never seemed that close. Writers tell us they are all friends or at least trust each other, but the actions of certain characters(mostly Batman) said otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I read Hitman recently and Etrigan is a straight up villain there. He seems to have definitely been a much more morally evil character until times past, the Hyde to Blood’s Jekyll. Or maybe him being evil IS his default state, and Etrigan the hero was always the alternate take
    I think the thing with Etrigan is that he's a demon and Jason usually had to direct him towards doing good, but some of Jason's heroism ends up inspiring Etrigan to a certain extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    It seems like the writers are trying to say that future JL is weak because they're not close as the previous incarnations, but the previous JL never seemed that close. Writers tell us they are all friends or at least trust each other, but the actions of certain characters(mostly Batman) said otherwise.
    Batman's been shown to be close with Clark and Diana, and occasionally with Barry.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Seems like Andy and Jess have a thing going on?

This issue was really enjoyable. Makes me sad we only have one other issue with this team, but it was nice that we were able to see the dynamics of the team. Jo as the team's detective is a treat and makes perfect sense.
    Does that make Andy queer? Ceterosexual?
    Last edited by Will Evans; 01-12-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Does that make Andy queer? Ceterosexual?
    It's more likely she'd identify as bi/pan, I think.

This issue made me more excited to see her team up with Jackson. Too bad we have no other material for Jess, though. Maybe they'll show up in main continuity? Possibly? The issue said they came to stop a conspiracy. Could be Checkmate related.

Liked both stories.

Extraordinary Member

If a grown up Miss Martian joined this team, it be go down as one of the perfect seven manned JL teams.
    The fact that the Hyperclan is involved, it may just happen.