Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #8 (spiderman crashes the human torch's party)

Amazing Spiderman #8 (sorry can I edit the title?)

Man... I hated this story. Was the idea to show that Peter was still an immature teenager? The whole thing was beyond idiotic. Not just Spidey crashing the Torch's party and being a jerk. Then fighting the whole Fantastic Four for no reason.

Combine this with Spidey's interaction with FF in ASM #1... Spiderman comes off unlikeable as hell. FF were saints to let him be their friend despite this.

They labeled this issue a "Tribute to Teenagers"... so I guess that was part of it.

I enjoyed the first part of this issue. When peter fought Flash and battled The Living Brain. But you are right. The second part makes Peter come off as very childish, petty, and spiteful. I really did not enjoy that. And when he was leaving how he told Torch he would not join his party on a bet or something like that. Well No one asked you to be there in the first place. I love Spider man and Peter but this was a rare miss for Stan Lee
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I enjoyed the first part of this issue. When peter fought Flash and battled The Living Brain. But you are right. The second part makes Peter come off as very childish, petty, and spiteful. I really did not enjoy that. And when he was leaving how he told Torch he would not join his party on a bet or something like that. Well No one asked you to be there in the first place. I love Spider man and Peter but this was a rare miss for Stan Lee
    Yeah, the Flash Thompson fight makes sense... because Peter has been holding back against him despite all of Flash's taunts. But the FF interaction makes him look like a complete bully. Really doesn't fit the "with great power comes great responsibility" thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Yeah, the Flash Thompson fight makes sense... because Peter has been holding back against him despite all of Flash's taunts. But the FF interaction makes him look like a complete bully. Really doesn't fit the "with great power comes great responsibility" thing.
    A lot of the earlier issues played with the idea that Peter could become a supervillain. It seems weird now because we know that he didn't/wouldn't do it.

Astonishing Member

I love this issue. It's total nonsense, but it's fun nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I love this issue. It's total nonsense, but it's fun nonsense.
    Oh it was. The idea of the first story. Some thugs trying to steal a super computer to pick winners in horse races lol. I loved it. That is some Adam West Batman plot device right there.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    A lot of the earlier issues played with the idea that Peter could become a supervillain. It seems weird now because we know that he didn't/wouldn't do it.
    You are totally right, and that story didn't have Peter acting out of character. Peter was kind of a jerk during the Ditko era.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That was Stan Lee tho. Most of his male heroes were either jerks or saints for the first 2 or 3 years.
    "Cable was right!"

yes good let peter be an ass
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Oh it was. The idea of the first story. Some thugs trying to steal a super computer to pick winners in horse races lol. I loved it. That is some Adam West Batman plot device right there.
    That's the charm of superhero comics, that it's a setting full of world-changing (or world-shattering) technologies, and all people seem to want to do with them is comparatively petty, small-time B.S.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

I remember in the Marvel Age version that they changed it so that Torch assumed the worse when Spidey was watching the party from afar.

It's funny how Peter's been whitewashed over the years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's the charm of superhero comics, that it's a setting full of world-changing (or world-shattering) technologies, and all people seem to want to do with them is comparatively petty, small-time B.S.
    As Moonstone put it, who wants to actually put all that work into ruling the world?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

As Moonstone put it, who wants to actually put all that work into ruling the world?
    She makes a very good point there, I'll admit.

I remember in the Marvel Age version that they changed it so that Torch assumed the worse when Spidey was watching the party from afar.

It's funny how Peter's been whitewashed over the years.
    Yeah, while I would preferably call it him "maturing" into a better person and hero over the years, I do like that the current run has called some of his past behavior into question, like when Jameson (say what you will about him resorting to criminal action himself to deal with someone he viewed as a criminal) remarked during their podcast that Peter didn't help his case for being one of the good guys by hassling and even threatening Jameson when Jameson would call him a menace, nor with his reflex to keep to himself even at the expense of a potential support network of allies and friends.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Yeah, but the Human Torch is an ignorant moron and he totally deserved to get humiliated by Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Yeah, but the Human Torch is an ignorant moron and he totally deserved to get humiliated by Spider-Man.
    The same could be said about Spider-Man in that instance.