Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Future State: Dark Detective #1 spoilers/discussion

Well we started off Future State by meeting the Next Batman, but this is where we find out what happened to the old Batman. I would also say that with it we dive more into the Magistrate and the future Gotham.

What Mariko Tamaki focuses on is kind of a down and out Bruce Wayne. We find out that not only has he been outed as Batman, possibly a tie to Justice League, who Magistrate tried to gun down in an alley, and nearly succeeded it wasn’t for the last money Bruce had to go to a back alley Doctor. This ends up with a Bruce who is broke, beaten, none of the tools he had before, and believed dead in a city he can’t recognize anymore, kind of because it now looks like Batman Beyond and looks great thanks to Dan Mora‘s art. In a city that haunts him because who he was and what he had is used against him both emotionally and physically. However, he’s Batman and supposedly he can’t just give that and it’s kind of engraved into his very being. And so he becomes a makeshift Batman with one sole purpose left being to destroy the magistrate.

Overall I think it’s a good story, Tamaki writes a good narrative complemented by Mora’s art and it’s interesting to see what will become of Bruce as we see Tim in this future rise as Batman and what that means for him.

Outside of that there is a Grifters story featuring Grifter and Luke Fox on the run after busting out of magistrate. I honestly don’t care about Grifter so I skimmed that one. Huntress does show up and it’s got plenty of fighting in it, I’m just not a grifter fan.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-12-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It's nice to see Huntress in a more Post-Crisis esque costume...although does she look whiter to anyone else?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's nice to see Huntress in a more Post-Crisis esque costume...although does she look whiter to anyone else?
    Based off the cover to Detective Comics #1034 - also by Mora - she's white again.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is going to cause an uproar or not (if it's really the case).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeeeeah they...uh....really made her white again....Not sure how I feel about that....I liked POC Huntress but...can you really get mad about a character getting whitewashed when they were originally white anyway lol
    Last edited by Blue22; 01-12-2021 at 04:42 PM.

The artwork was fantastic...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The art was definitely the high point but I liked the concept of a stripped down Batman still trying to fight the good fight.

People were freaking out over Mariko Tamaki. It's an easy to read and immersive story (with great art). Not sure what it tells us about her Detective Comics, but we'll see

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Grifter story was worth the price of admission for this book. The main story was ok, Dan Mora art was the best part.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Grifter story was worth the price of admission for this book. The main story was ok, Dan Mora art was the best part.
    While I'm always glad for folks who are enjoying Grifter in the "Main..." DC Universe?

Everything is just going to bum me out after The Wild Storm.

That was just about the perfect Cole Cash.

I know she was supposed to be a POC back in grayson but... she just looked Italian to me, so, you know, White already .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I know she was supposed to be a POC back in grayson but... she just looked Italian to me, so, you know, White already .
    I read her as Sicilian with darker complexion myself. I grew up around a lot of them so I didn't question it when she showed up, I guess.

Pretty art but just an ok story.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pretty art but just an ok story.
    Well, it did feel like they were giving us the lay of the land.

Kinda hard to get mad that they couldn't do that and "Wow!..." me.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Well, it did feel like they were giving us the lay of the land.

Kinda hard to get mad that they couldn't do that and "Wow!..." me.
    I saw people raving about this, but Mora’s fantastic art aside there’s just not much there for me honestly.