View Poll Results: Best Batman origin (other than Year One)?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Earth One

11 16.42%
  • Zero Year

15 22.39%
  • Batman Begins

31 46.27%
  • Gotham

1 1.49%
  • Golden Age ('Tec # 33 & Batman # 47)

12 17.91%
  • Untold Legend of Batman

13 19.40%
  • Golden Age Retold (Secret Origins # 6)

5 7.46%
  • Post Zero Hour

3 4.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Apart from Year One, which is the best Batman origin story?

Not including Year One in this one, because I feel its almost universally loved in the Batman fandom and is bound to win any poll (feel free to express your appreciation in the thread though!). But which of the other Batman origin stories would you regard as being the best, or among the best?

I'm trying to be as a broad-based as possible on this and include a wide range of options.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Not including Year One in this one, because I feel its almost universally loved in the Batman fandom and is bound to win any poll (feel free to express your appreciation in the thread though!). But which of the other Batman origin stories would you regard as being the best, or among the best?

I'm trying to be as a broad-based as possible on this and include a wide range of options.
    Zero year

Thread/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Mask of the Phantasm's flashback arc if we're embracing all media.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yes, this is the correct answer.

But since it is not, I chose Batman Begins since it takes the best parts of all of it.

Earth One does not feel like the "real" Batman and Zero Year is a fever dream that falls apart under its own silliness and bombassity.

Astonishing Member

Hmm...I thought of including that. But its not really a full 'origin story'. More like a glimpse of the time just before he becomes Batman.

Likewise, I haven't included the many MANY times we see the Wayne murders.

I'm sticking more to stories that sort of comprehensively cover Bruce's journey from the murders to putting on the cowl and his first adventures. Admittedly, Gotham's inclusion here is a bit tricky, but it does get us up to him putting on the cowl, and also shows us a pre-Batman vigilante stint (or so I've heard...I haven't actually watched the show beyond Season 1 )

The post-Zero Year 'zero issues' collectively do a good job charting Bruce's pre-Batman history and filling in a lot of the gaps left by Year One. They also together serve as a complete origin, hence I included them.

But one of my personal favorite origins has to be the retelling of the Golden Age/Earth Two Batman origin in Secret Origins # 6. It sort of recontextualizes the old pre-Crisis Batman mythos and spins its own narrative around them. So, in this version, Bruce hangs out with Commissioner Gordon at the start of "The Case of the Chemical Syndicate" because Gordon is his Uncle Phillip's friend, and he's hoping to get a desk job in the GCPD (having already been out on one mission as Batman, which didn't go entirely according to plan). Solving the chemical syndicate case is what motivates him to continue to operate as Batman.

Zero Year for me. Namely the Red Hood arc. Everything after not so much, but that Red Hood arc is gold.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Zero Year for me. Namely the Red Hood arc. Everything after not so much, but that Red Hood arc is gold.
    Agreed.

I mean, I like the other stuff too, but those first four issues are simply brilliant!

Gotham the TV show.
    It's really detailed and all the risings of the super-vilains are well explained.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm going with this. Or Loeb & Lee's 2-3 page origin summary that came out around Hush (it's in all Hush trades now).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Likewise, I haven't included the many MANY times we see the Wayne murders.
    The "which is your favorite Wayne murder?" poll will be incredibly divisive!

I echo the Mask of the Phantasm option because I generally think most origin stories are over-told or over-engineered (All Star Superman knocking it out in a page is perhaps a little on the short side, but better than the 47th re-telling of Clark not getting to play football). Of the poll options, I went with Batman Begins because, while it is a long origin, it also has the origin tie into the story in a smart way that adds to the mythology*. I also like that, in both Begins and Dark Knight, it's super clear that Alfred used to serve in the military and knows his stuff w/o having flashbacks or huge exposition dumps like Bruce saying, "Alfred, you fought in the wars, please tell me about it so I can fight my own war," and then having story time. Or having half the origin be Alfred being a near-superhuman badass.

*It'd be impossible to retcon Bruce training with Ra's in the comics without a full blown reboot, but it's more economical than, say, the multiple trainers idea of The Many Deaths of Batman
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Earth One followed by Batman Begins.

Year One wouldn't even get my vote if it was an option.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I like the Red Hood part of Zero Year but the Riddler part was garbage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Earth One followed by Batman Begins.

Year One wouldn't even get my vote if it was an option.
    Intersting.

I'd love to hear more about your reasons for that!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

MOTP Flashback, but since that wasn't listed I went with Untold Legend of the Batman if it is the one I'm thinking of (Len Wein?)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Batman Begins is nowhere near as good as Dark Knight or Dark Knight Rises.

I've never read Untold Tales of the Batman, but I look forward to tracking it down.

Also Batman Year One is still canon Post Zero Hour aside from retconning away Selina Kyle's prostitution.