Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chris Claremont Anniversary Special #1 - Dani Moonstar takes the Spotlight!

Dani is grooming Brightwind but is approached by Hela who wants to talk to her about her role in destiny. Its time for her to prove worthy of being her Valkyrie. Dark Phoenix approachs and burns Brightwind. She tells her of that existence is binary. The Phoenix is the passion of creation and DP brings it to its end. Hela tells Dani that if she wants BW to live then she has to fight her

At the Baxter Building, different versions of the FF are fighting Namor and Doom with an adult Valeria. Dani flies in with BW and witnesses the battle. They are controlled by the Shadow King who tries to get Namor to kill Sue. Dani slices the SK with a sword and the various versions of the FF disappear

In SF, Rogue is fighting Binary and grabs her with her skin. Dani with armor shoots a psychic arrow but its Carol. Binary transforms into Captain Marvel. Carol says she looks like Rogue but appears different. She is Binary again and its revealed that SK is possessing Rogue. She blasts her and it seems this was a simulation that the Starjammers were watching

Dani meets the Starjammers and Binary says she faced her greatest nightmare and won. Dani and BW then fly off into space and make it to New Orleans to find Gambit who shoots her with arrows. Its really SK. Hela appears and says that her champion never screams. Lil Ro approaaches Dani and tells her that the SK is using her friend and asks for her hep in stopping him

Dani without her armor (but wearing a Dazzler shirt) uses an image of Xavier against Gambit. It was just a distraction for Ro to zap Gambit. Dani then shoots him with a psychic arrow barrage and frees him. Ro says the X-men must be warned and wants Dani to join but she flies off

Dani confronts Hela. She passed the test and welomes her as her daughter. Dani refutes bc she is a member of the New Mutants. Hela tells her that the SK will go on. Death and life are the frame of creation. Moonstar stands at teh boundaries of both and as its guardian if she chooses. Dani accepts. Her mortal form will eventually pass but her soul will not. She is forever a champion of life

Last edited by Havok83; 01-13-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Mighty Member

I don’t know what that was, but it wasn’t good. At all. I had high hopes for an awesome Dani story and this was NOT it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I don’t know what that was, but it wasn’t good. At all. I had high hopes for an awesome Dani story and this was NOT it.
    Really? I liked it

Had high hopes for it but it wasn't good.

I hoped that maybe this special would give us a good written Gambit again. Unfortunatelly not.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Really? I liked it
    Yeah. Listen, I loved Claremont on his original run. He was able to weave all these story threads into something amazing. I loved X-treme X-men. But this wasn’t good at all. This is set in the past and it’s just a wank to some of his work over the years. Besides some of the art with Dani in her armor, this was a heavy miss for me.

It sounds like a crazy, jumbled, not well-planned flow of thoughts with characters that Claremont knows fans love-------just to net him some big bucks.

Extraordinary Member

'Jumbled' or 'choppy' are the words I'd use to describe it, especially the dialogue. I don't think I've even seen a Claremont issue of anything that was like this. I felt like I was watching a video where the speed was set to 3X normal whenever anyone opened their mouth.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

What in cinnamon toast crunch hell did I just read?

Mighty Member

Where did Brightwind’s wings go on that last page. This set up Dani and SK as adversaries retroactively. While they’ve battled before this is just another mutant that’s adversaries with SK. No. Please stop with Shadow King.

I thought this might be a new story of her going through time to beat him, but it’s set in the past and she’s just randomly going to these times without rhyme or reason. Like holodeck Rogue was possessed by the SK? Er?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Going by the summary of this story (which I read with a pot-spoon of salt...because...) It sounds like what I pretty much expected...not really good Claremont fan-fiction.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

When was this set?

Storm as Lil Ro is saved from Amahl Farouk by Gambit in Uncanny X-Men 266, so it's set after that. She mentions Gambit will be part of his vendetta now.

Storm first told Gambit about the X-Men in Uncanny X-Men 267, so it's set after that.

Since X-Tinction Agenda began in Uncanny X-Men 270, we can assume that it is set before that.

Uncanny X-Men 269 showed the Shadow King begin his assault proper on the X-Men by possessing Carol Danvers after her mind was split out from Rogue - it is possible this takes place concurrent to that.

Uncanny X-Men 268 was about the Wolverine's adventures in Madripoor with Black Widow and Captain America I believe, so we can disregard it.

As for Danielle Moonstar, she was stuck in Asgard around this time since she was written out of New Mutants so her being in contact with Hela makes her timeline work with it.

As for the Fantastic Four segment, that seems to take place around Fantastic Four 60 or so when the Invisible Girl announced her pregnancy - but given that this was a dream/time travel sequence, that doesn't really matter too much.

Thus, it can be said that this takes place between Uncanny X-Men 267 and Days of Future Present.

Either way, this was a nice bit of work from Chris Claremont that fleshes out the Muir Island Saga bit more.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Dani is grooming Brightwind but is approached by Hela who wants to talk to her about her role in destiny. Its time for her to prove worthy of being her Valkyrie. Dark Phoenix approachs and burns Brightwind. She tells her of that existence is binary. The Phoenix is the passion of creation and DP brings it to its end. Hela tells Dani that if she wants BW to live then she has to fight her

At the Baxter Building, different versions of the FF are fighting Namor and Doom with an adult Valeria. Dani flies in with BW and witnesses the battle. They are controlled by the Shadow King who tries to get Namor to kill Sue. Dani slices the SK with a sword and the various versions of the FF disappear

In SF, Rogue is fighting Binary and grabs her with her skin. Dani with armor shoots a psychic arrow but its Carol. Binary transforms into Captain Marvel. Carol says she looks like Rogue but appears different. She is Binary again and its revealed that SK is possessing Rogue. She blasts her and it seems this was a simulation that the Starjammers were watching

Dani meets the Starjammers and Binary says she faced her greatest nightmare and won. Dani and BW then fly off into space and make it to New Orleans to find Gambit who shoots her with arrows. Its really SK. Hela appears and says that her champion never screams. Lil Ro approaaches Dani and tells her that the SK is using her friend and asks for her hep in stopping him

Dani without her armor (but wearing a Dazzler shirt) uses an image of Xavier against Gambit. It was just a distraction for Ro to zap Gambit. Dani then shoots him with a psychic arrow barrage and frees him. Ro says the X-men must be warned and wants Dani to join but she flies off

Dani confronts Hela. She passed the test and welomes her as her daughter. Dani refutes bc she is a member of the New Mutants. Hela tells her that the SK will go on. Death and life are the frame of creation. Moonstar stands at teh boundaries of both and as its guardian if she chooses. Dani accepts. Her mortal form will eventually pass but her soul will not. She is forever a champion of life

Wtf was this, I genuinely don't know how to feel or what to think this just seemed like a series of characters and plotlines thrown together for no rhyme or reason.

I can't remember a story with the shadow king that I have enjoyed. This wasn't an exception.

X-men lore more then story. Dani used to be my favorite new mutant back in the day. I still believe there is more to be mined from her valkyrie connection. This wasn't it.

I got all three covers!

The art was nice. I might cut out the pages and try and stick them back in an page order that is some what coherent