Spectacular Member

Default Have you ever had to bring up comics in a conversation?

For example, to explain a character or explain a specific characters story or history. Or to use as evidence for something?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    For example, to explain a character or explain a specific characters story or history. Or to use as evidence for something?
    all the time! well not literally all the time but I'm usually the news and pop culture guy in my social circles. if people have a question or just wanna discuss fictional works, I'm usually the one they go to. so if a new comic book movie or show or something is in the public consciousness, I'm usually discussing it with people or fielding questions. also, I'm a big manga guy, so I often use comics to illustrate how to not use characters well LOL or just to use as a point of juxtaposition when discussing tropes in manga or anime.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-13-2021 at 03:16 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Spectacular Member

Only most recently during this huge boom of the comic book movies and tv shows. Usually in a context of either explaining "easter eggs" or my own critquing of the use of characters and the storylines used.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Offline, only if there's a movie's out that I know the lore, and only the first few hours after we got out of the theater. After that, we never talk about it unless it randomly shows up in dinner conversation for like a few minutes or so.

Incredible Member

If the topic of the conversation is superheroes, then sure. Usually not in other cases, though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    Only most recently during this huge boom of the comic book movies and tv shows. Usually in a context of either explaining "easter eggs" or my own critquing of the use of characters and the storylines used.
    Same here.

I once smacked a guy in the NY subway, because he pulled a girls hair and tried to do something with her. I was the only one out of a crowd of people who did something. My then girlfriend asked me why I did it, it was clearly dangerous, the guy could have a knife or something, I said Spider-Man would have done the same.

He was my childhood hero and tried to live up to his standards, and do to this day. (not exactely, but you get the point) My girlfriend shaked her head when I said that, but I wasn't lying.

That shows us there is a lot of good that can come out of superhero books.

I’ve always been the ‘comic book’ guy, even before the big boom.
    It’s amazing how many questions I’d get just out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    Once in a while. There have been a few times, when people brought up the Shazam movie, that I referred to him as Captain Marvel and then had to explain the whole convoluted history.
    And I knew, before I said it, that I would have to but I stubbornly refuse to not call him Captain Marvel.

And that's not a slam on any of the Marvel Comics versions or the MCU movie or Larson, all of which I defend. It's just that he's the original.
    Power with Girl is better.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Offline, only if there's a movie's out that I know the lore, and only the first few hours after we got out of the theater. After that, we never talk about it unless it randomly shows up in dinner conversation for like a few minutes or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    If the topic of the conversation is superheroes, then sure. Usually not in other cases, though.
    Pretty much ^These^.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I got in this stupid squabble in High School about who had read more comics in his life. I'm no spring chicken, but the said he read 20 manga volumes a day. Stil haven't heard abohr Love and Rockets .

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Pretty much ^These^.
    How boring. Inject it in your life more often. Like wear a costume to work on casual Friday. That's how I roll.

Sure, I mention comicbooks with friends (casual readers at best, except for manga, where there're a few that read constantly), relatives (one of my brothers likes comics of all type a lot; two of my sisters tend to go towards manga; my youngest sister has only read a few Asterix but she loves Spectacular Spider-Man and some other superheroes cartoons; the rest of my family don't care much about comics -some even have prejudice against the ninth art, but they never banned comics or something like that when I was younger-).

It's not just fun facts about superheroes, I usually comment what I'm reading or if there is a story I read recently that I loved, and there's always those facts that come in handy in some discussion or theme. Plus, I studied film, so comicbooks are a big reference when justifying a project I'm working on or to take into account from a visual aspect
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    How boring. Inject it in your life more often. Like wear a costume to work on casual Friday. That's how I roll.
    Do you boo.