View Poll Results: Who was the more interesting DCAU heroine: Wonder Woman or Hawkgirl?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wonder Woman/Dian of Themyscira

9 20.00%
  • Hawkgirl/Shayera Hol

36 80.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I blame DCAU for the continued mistreatment of Cheetah. It's no coincidence that she got one-punched by Batman in the comics a year after the show ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I blame DCAU for the continued mistreatment of Cheetah. It's no coincidence that she got one-punched by Batman in the comics a year after the show ended.
    It's kind of hilarious that Wonder Woman's archenemy would've been unceremoniously killed off after her debut episode (just for having the hots for Batman) were it not for an animation error.

The most controversial thing the show did with Hawks (well, other than the John Stewart relationship) was Hro Talek originally being Katar Hol until DC stepped in. I guess killing off Cheetah was less of a big deal.

Astonishing Member

Hawkgirl, without a doubt.

Its been years since I've revisited the show, but just going by memory, Wonder Woman was easily the most nondescript character of the Big Seven. Superman was a close second, but Superman had the benefit of having a whole show in the same universe setting him up, plus a few really powerful episodes/moments (particularly the 'Hereafter' two-parter which, in a way, was the best adaptation of certain aspects of the 'Death of Superman' story).

Wonder Woman seemed to be there pretty much because she was one of the iconic characters who needed to just...be there. With Hawkgirl, they took the effort to make us like the character, be curious about her origins, and even root for her and John Stewart (arguably my favorite character on the show when I watched it as a kid ) to get together. And of course 'Starcrossed' was a watershed moment for the show.

Also, curiously enough, Wonder Woman pretty much was the only 'rookie' hero on the team. ALL the others were established heroes before the show started, except for J'onn and even he was a veteran of a war against the Imperium on Mars. We get her origin in the first episodes, which is fine. But then, they didn't really do much to show us how Diana adapted to Man's World, established herself as 'Wonder Woman' in the public eye, what she did with herself beyond the League etc. Her story on the show is basically "Amazon princess comes to Man's World to fight against an alien invasion, decides to stay to become random Justice League member...with the odd visit home to deal with some Amazon focused threat/villain".

Honestly, I think ALL the other major characters were treated a lot better than Diana. DCAU Wally is one of my favorite versions of the Flash ever. Batman is...well, Batman, but for the most part they reveled in the coolness of Batman being Batman without really compromising the other characters (well, apart from Diana I guess...to credit the DCAU though, the Diana/Bruce shiptease on the show seems to have inspired their brief flirtation and partnership in the Snyder DCEU movies, where it's been handled a lot better).

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Hawkgirl, without a doubt.

Its been years since I've revisited the show, but just going by memory, Wonder Woman was easily the most nondescript character of the Big Seven. Superman was a close second, but Superman had the benefit of having a whole show in the same universe setting him up, plus a few really powerful episodes/moments (particularly the 'Hereafter' two-parter which, in a way, was the best adaptation of certain aspects of the 'Death of Superman' story).

Wonder Woman seemed to be there pretty much because she was one of the iconic characters who needed to just...be there. With Hawkgirl, they took the effort to make us like the character, be curious about her origins, and even root for her and John Stewart (arguably my favorite character on the show when I watched it as a kid ) to get together. And of course 'Starcrossed' was a watershed moment for the show.

Also, curiously enough, Wonder Woman pretty much was the only 'rookie' hero on the team. ALL the others were established heroes before the show started, except for J'onn and even he was a veteran of a war against the Imperium on Mars. We get her origin in the first episodes, which is fine. But then, they didn't really do much to show us how Diana adapted to Man's World, established herself as 'Wonder Woman' in the public eye, what she did with herself beyond the League etc. Her story on the show is basically "Amazon princess comes to Man's World to fight against an alien invasion, decides to stay to become random Justice League member...with the odd visit home to deal with some Amazon focused threat/villain".

Honestly, I think ALL the other major characters were treated a lot better than Diana. DCAU Wally is one of my favorite versions of the Flash ever. Batman is...well, Batman, but for the most part they reveled in the coolness of Batman being Batman without really compromising the other characters (well, apart from Diana I guess...to credit the DCAU though, the Diana/Bruce shiptease on the show seems to have inspired their brief flirtation and partnership in the Snyder DCEU movies, where it's been handled a lot better).
    'reveled in the coolness of Batman being Batman without really compromising the other characters"

"introduces the Diana/Bruce shiptease"

You can pick one but the not the other.

OP Question -

Hawkgirl/Shayera Hol by far, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Hawkgirl. I think she had received better focus.