View Poll Results: Who was the more interesting DCAU heroine: Wonder Woman or Hawkgirl?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wonder Woman/Dian of Themyscira

9 20.00%
  • Hawkgirl/Shayera Hol

36 80.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Easily Hawkgirl. Timmverse Wonder Woman was absolutely awful. That's not saying Hawkgirl would win only by default, she was in her own right a very well-rounded and crafted character. Its just no competition with how badly Timmverse Wonder Woman sucked.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I would guess that was to give her some character development as the show went along. I don't know what else they could have done with her character-wise besides the fish out of water thing, unless they made her redundant.

I suppose Batman or Flash could've been turned into the pig with WW saving him.
    They even rushed her "origin". Wow aliens are attacking so I need to steal the armor and leave the island then wait 5 seasons before the "true" power of my armor is activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    They even rushed her "origin". Wow aliens are attacking so I need to steal the armor and leave the island then wait 5 seasons before the "true" power of my armor is activated.
    Oh look, the Lasso of Truth! That we only learn compels people to tell the truth several seasons later .

I think the way they handled WW was a sham of a great hero. She has always been one of my favorite DC female heroes. I didnt really care for Hawk girl all that much in the show but they did do a lot more with her. Not a knock on Hawk Girl or how they handled her I have just never been a huge fan of her even in the comics so I was not really excited to see her in the show. Was super hyped for WW but man did that get killed fast.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    She really should have been an active hero with offscreen adventures like the rest of the cast. That way they could bring in elements of her world with an implied history there, instead of her existing only to crush on Batman after her origin is rushed through and she barely interacts with her own characters.

Yes, the lasso being activated that late is serious horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    She really should have been an active hero with offscreen adventures like the rest of the cast. That way they could bring in elements of her world with an implied history there, instead of her existing only to crush on Batman after her origin is rushed through and she barely interacts with her own characters.

Yes, the lasso being activated that late is serious horseshit.
    Even Cheetah made out with Batman! And survived due to an animation error!

And wasn't Giganta a female ape or gorilla that was transformed into a human instead of a scientist who made herself giant?

It's kind of hilarious that DC Super Hero Girls got a better grasp of Wonder Woman's Rogues Gallery than the DCAU did.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh look, the Lasso of Truth! That we only learn compels people to tell the truth several seasons later .
    Who needs your iconic weapon when you can have a crush on Batman.

BANNED

The thing is that Hawkgirl was featured in fewer episodes and had even less of her mythology used, but the consensus is that she was handled better

BANNED

Does that make her particularly blue-collar? I mean, she was really a Thanagarian military officer.

Wonder Woman's depiction was pretty pitch-perfect in the Bloodlines animated film and she wasn't very aggressive in that film, nor a carbon copy of Superman.

There wasn't anything wrong with the Superman/Batman dynamic, it just seems like they always gave Batman an edge whenever an argument broke out between the two...or Batman just had to have last word in.
    I found Bloodlines boring. Felt like they were trying to cram in as much as possible without real development or consequences. I also found the 2009 characterization more fun. Wonder Woman was just a very straightforward good guy in Bloodlines, who was essentially perfect. I don't like it when Superman and Flash are written that way either.

The thing is that Hawkgirl was featured in fewer episodes and had even less of her mythology used, but the consensus is that she was handled better
    Well, Starcrossed was her big mythos episode with the Thanagarians and was the season finale, which was more impactful than whenever they used the Wonder Woman mythos.
    I found Bloodlines boring. Felt like they were trying to cram in as much as possible without real development or consequences. I also found the 2009 characterization more fun. Wonder Woman was just a very straightforward good guy in Bloodlines, who was essentially perfect. I don't like it when Superman and Flash are written that way either.
    It's almost a universal criticism that Bloodlines tried to stuff in too much content/characters, but I think Diana had a good character arc and came into her own as Wonder Woman better. I appreciated that she didn't need to be lectured on gender dynamics by a horndog Steve Trevor.

Bloodlines certainly had too much stuffed for it's own benefit but on the whole it's a better outing for Diana in animation than the DCAU or even '09 imo. They got much more of Diana and her supporting characters better characterized as well as actually using WW characters rather than just making stuff up like the DCAU often did.

Astonishing Member

It could be argued that minimizing Hawk girl's mythology(specifically the reincarnation stuff) benefited her character.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    It could be argued that minimizing Hawk girl's mythology(specifically the reincarnation stuff) benefited her character.
    It didn't necessarily do Hawkman any favors when they finally got to it in the last season of JLU.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Even Cheetah made out with Batman! And survived due to an animation error!

And wasn't Giganta a female ape or gorilla that was transformed into a human instead of a scientist who made herself giant?

It's kind of hilarious that DC Super Hero Girls got a better grasp of Wonder Woman's Rogues Gallery than the DCAU did.
    That is Giganta's classic origin. Where they went wrong was having her be an agent of Grodd, instead of having her transformed by Professor Zool.

The Cheetah thing is still a fucking embarrassment.

BANNED

On the shipping point-- Both characters were shipped by the creators, but one is celebrated and the other isn't. Why is that?

Is there some team member you'd rather see Diana shipped with? As we saw with Amazons Attack, I don't think she could really have been involved in a Starcrossed-type storyline like Hawkgirl was.