Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Because if your social organization is one step away from fulfilling the dreams of the people who invaded the Capitol, then it is rotten to the core. How can people not see that is beyond me. It's not even a question of storytelling, just of basic values.

The Amazons are segregationists, isolationist, violent and to the point that any Men who happens to land on their shore is supposed to be killed. A society such as that must not be represented as better than ours because it isn't. What imbecility is the idea that "They are better because they live seprated from Men and thus don't have mysoginy" ? Are we supposed to believe thus that an all-color society is inherently better than a mixed one because hey, there isn't any racism in it ? Is that really what defenders of PAradise Island mean ?

Seriously...

And yes, the clay birth works. it's dumb as hell and it has bad implications, but compared to the rest of the Amazon's society, it's fine.
    In the original Marstom comics I'm pretty sure the amazons didn't kill men just for arriving at the island by accident. They had lots of technology that read kinds and communicated telephatically and "turned people good". I'm sure they also had technology to remove memories and they just used it on men and sent them on their way (which I think is totally within their right to stay hidden, and it doesn't actually affect the lives of those men.

As far as them being violent, again, they weren't during Marston and I totally think we should establish that while they constantly train im case they are ever invaded, they probably haven't fought a war in millenia.

You do realize that every single nation that ever made great breakthroughs in science also perpetuated a variety of oppressive and discriminatory actions right? Bad ideologies are bad ediologies, the societies themselves can still advance irregardless of being philosophical wrong.

Diversity is a good unto itself, and it should be valued of it's own accord. It makes the world more interesting. The amazons are absolutely segregationist and we can totally recognize it, and through Diana's actions force them to realize that there is no fundamental difference between the qualities of a man and a woman. It is completely about the individual and the culture that forms him. The fact that the amazons are more advanced isn't because they are women or because of their segregationist ideology even though they think it is. It's because they live in a magic world and, having all experienced oppression, chose to create a better society. Now they just have to leadn to be more inclusive and embrace diversity. Chill the hell down, I wouldn't promote a story that actually makes it seem like the amazons are entirely morally superior to us.

What kind of bad implications does the clay origin have?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What kind of bad implications does the clay origin have?
    That only someone freed from any form of male taint is inherently superior to those who aren't. It stems from Marston's essentialist view on gender and I find that it belongs to the past and shouldn't be promoted today because it makes a disservice to everyone, the same way the idea that "boys will be boys" do.

That only someone freed from any form of male taint is inherently superior to those who aren't. It stems from Marston's essentialist view on gender and I find that it belongs to the past and shouldn't be promoted today because it makes a disservice to everyone, the same way the idea that "boys will be boys" do.
    It absolutely comes from that yes, but it's actually one of the few elements that has no necessity of being a discriminatory thing. I think the amazons are lesbians and what they want is a child that is bornn entirely from them, not needing to include a man just for reproduction. Ans there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think Diana being born without participation by any man is supposed to make her superior, she is just the fulfilment of a desire. And what makes her superior is that she was specifically molded to be the best, and raised specially by the amazons with all their benefits.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-15-2021 at 01:04 AM.

Astonishing Member

It absolutely comes from that yes, but it's actually one of the few elements that has no necessity of being a discriminatory thing. I think the amazons are lesbians and what they want is a child that is bornn entirely from them, not needing to include a man just for reproduction. Ans there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think Diana being born without participation by any man is supposed to make her superior, she is just the fulfilment of a desire. And what makes her superior is that she was specifically molded to be the best, and raised specially by the amazons with all their benefits.
    Keep in mind a majority of this thread is no longer talking about the Trinity anymore.

It's not so much "male taint" with me as much as Westerners are pretty weird with what they call believable. What's wrong with her being made out of clay? She's made by magic anyways.

Lol yeah, we completely changed topic. But then again, the original topic was unecessary. We have no idea how old Yara is and we will only find out once they announce her age in the post future state book and tell us if it's set in the present. We already know the difference in age between Jon and Tim. At least the topic of Wonder Woman's feminist implications had more meat to it

Astonishing Member

Lol yeah, we completely changed topic. But then again, the original topic was unecessary. We have no idea how old Yara is and we will only find out once they announce her age in the post future state book and tell us if it's set in the present. We already know the difference in age between Jon and Tim. At least the topic of Wonder Woman's feminist implications had more meat to it
    I'm just saying because the Mods will likely move us to the Wonder Woman forum when they read this.