Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    While I maintain that the exclusion of men is an ugly truth in their society, I still argue that the more respectful and trustful people are of each other the less they will harm each other. Yes, the amazons probably still have a lot of disagreements and probably have their own prejudices for each other, but at least they don't have to worry about the patriarchy and if society is molding them into a particular kind of woman or not. Heck, maybe the amazons still have racists among them that hate other ethnicities within themyscira, but it's still one less thing they have to worry about without gender discrimination or insecurities over their gender.

And I think the whole point of Diana is that she isn't a normal amazon. She is (in most versions) the first woman created only by other women. And this makes her have a different relationship with the male gender than the other amazons.
    That's like saying Asian Americans should get together and leave the country, because racism would be one less thing they have to deal with. They'd just have to deal with sexism within their ranks.

She's not a good representative of the Amazons or of normal women if she didn't get one of her chromosomes from a man.

I feel like there's some false equivalences going on here.

Extraordinary Member

These are adventure stories, not some manual of creating the ideal society in the real world. The only thing problematic is thinking these fictional characters are somehow supposed to role models for real life. If you are seeking validation in the pages of a comic, you need to be talking to someone.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    These are adventure stories, not some manual of creating the ideal society in the real world. The only thing problematic is thinking these fictional characters are somehow supposed to role models for real life. If you are seeking validation in the pages of a comic, you need to be talking to someone.
    Weird take for a medium that survived for decades by catering to the outcasts of society who grew up feeling like unwanted nerds and got to see their favorite bully hunters right wrongs.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    She's not a good representative of the Amazons or of normal women if she didn't get one of her chromosomes from a man.
    There it is. The dumbest thing I've read all day.

Diana was the superheroine for decades and the role model for women across many generations and she was clay then. But by all means, discount all the women who loved and felt empowered by Diana because someone didn't plant their seed in Hippolyta's belly. Hey, Gloria Steinem! You were wrong apparently! Jesus goddamn Christ.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-14-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Weird take for a medium that survived for decades by catering to the outcasts of society who grew up feeling like unwanted nerds and got to see their favorite bully hunters right wrongs.
    It was about escapism and wish fulfillment, basically a child's idea of morality. The criticism going on is quite different than that, whether it is this or Punisher or anything mutant related, there is a difference in finding something that allows you to escape or reflect on yourself, and deeming anything that does not fit in with how you think things should be as problematic and needing to be changed.

BANNED

There it is. The dumbest thing I've read all day.

Diana was the superheroine for decades and the role model for women across many generations and she was clay then. But by all means, discount all the women who loved and felt empowered by Diana because someone didn't plant their seed in Hippolyta's belly. Hey, Gloria Steinem! You were wrong apparently! Jesus goddamn Christ.
    Yes, and Martian Manhunter is a good representative for African Americans despite not actually being one.

Every woman has a father, even if he's an *** or not around.

BANNED

If comics didn't evolve past child wish fulfillment, they wouldn't still have an audience. The most popular DC kids shows are the ones that had enough complexity to also appeal to adults. The original audience can go back as adults and appreciate the work from a different perspective. Saying, "Don't think about it" is a cop out.

Extraordinary Member

If comics didn't evolve past child wish fulfillment, they wouldn't still have an audience. The most popular DC kids shows are the ones that had enough complexity to also appeal to adults. The original audience can go back as adults and appreciate the work from a different perspective. Saying, "Don't think about it" is a cop out.
    I did not say do not think about it, I said people should not get in a fuss if aspects of one of countless stories does not appeal to your sensibilities. Like what you like, talk about things, even things you don't like, but it is the labeling and demands that are tiresome and quite ridiculous.

Yes, and Martian Manhunter is a good representative for African Americans despite not actually being one.

Every woman has a father, even if he's an *** or not around.
    I mean, some women have two moms...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or single parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Or single parents.
    Yes but in a world where a man can lift a moon for fun and another person can put a ring on that lets them fly through space and conjure hard light constructs from sheer willpower or cosmic entities can make and unmake realities for sport, how dare a character not follow the strict physical rules of conception. It's absolutely awful. Superman can't represent people because HE WASN'T BORN HERE! Wonder Woman can't be a good role model to women IF SHE DIDN'T COME FROM A MAN'S SEED.Are you all dense bigots or something?

It's just the dumbest possible take I've ever heard in superhero comics. Imagine. Needing Diana to have a birth father to be relatable. Next I'm going to hear that the Kents can't be great parents because Clark was abducted from a crash site and not taken to the authorities to find his proper parents or legal guardians.

That's like saying Asian Americans should get together and leave the country, because racism would be one less thing they have to deal with. They'd just have to deal with sexism within their ranks.

I'm not arguing for an ethnostate, nor the same thing but for women. Calm down buddy. I think we should all be surrounded by people different from us to be a little more connected to the world. I'm biracial, and I definitely think it's a good thing that my very different parents met each other. None the less, I don't see why Themyscira cannot be an evolved nation compared to us. You can criticize their gender discrimination without having to make a lesbian utopia a disfunctional thing.

I'm not arguing for an ethnostate, nor the same thing but for women. Calm down buddy. I think we should all be surrounded by people different from us to be a little more connected to the world. I'm biracial, and I definitely think it's a good thing that my very different parents met each other. None the less, I don't see why Themyscira cannot be an evolved nation compared to us. You can criticize their gender discrimination without having to make a lesbian utopia a disfunctional thing.
    Yeah, some takes even make it so the Gods forced it on them or that it's a sanctuary for the souls of battered women to live in paradise. It's not always "men bad grrr."

Because if your social organization is one step away from fulfilling the dreams of the people who invaded the Capitol, then it is rotten to the core. How can people not see that is beyond me. It's not even a question of storytelling, just of basic values.

The Amazons are segregationists, isolationist, violent and to the point that any Men who happens to land on their shore is supposed to be killed. A society such as that must not be represented as better than ours because it isn't. What imbecility is the idea that "They are better because they live seprated from Men and thus don't have mysoginy" ? Are we supposed to believe thus that an all-color society is inherently better than a mixed one because hey, there isn't any racism in it ? Is that really what defenders of PAradise Island mean ?

Seriously...

And yes, the clay birth works. it's dumb as hell and it has bad implications, but compared to the rest of the Amazon's society, it's fine.

Yeah, some takes even make it so the Gods forced it on them or that it's a sanctuary for the souls of battered women to live in paradise. It's not always "men bad grrr."
    I actually prefer for it to be a deliberate decision because it represents the deepest desire that many oppressed lesbian women probably had throughout the ancient time, regardless of it really being the best thing for them or not.