BANNED

Default Does Social Media Early Reactions help or hurt Movies and TV Shows?

Have you ever gotten hyped about a movie because of social media reactions only to watch it in cinema and get very disappointed?

I have thought of this for a while but after Wonder Woman 1984 early positives reviews only for it to change quite drastically , I feel sorry for the fans who were let down because they were very happy with the early reactions?

Maybe it's time people need to stop putting their faith in early social media reactions?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

How do you think people who might have to wait weeks or even months to see WW84 legally because of the pandemic lockdown feel? I know a fair number of people don't like it and I don't have any idea why and don't want to.

Niffleheim

I shrug at the first wave reviews of any movies or tv shows because I'm unable to believe them lol! I find them ridiculous.

They actually stop me from watching the movie or tv show when something is that highly rated (90% - 100%)

By the way they are ALWAYS disappointing.

I would say hurt, mostly because they tend to be one extreme or the other, either hyping something up to a degree that it can't live up to, or making something seem awful when its really just average/ so-so.

iow social media reactions lack the nuance you might get from reading a lengthier review.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    How do you think people who might have to wait weeks or even months to see WW84 legally because of the pandemic lockdown feel? I know a fair number of people don't like it and I don't have any idea why and don't want to.
    The first batch of reviews were calling it a hopeful comfort food for the paramedic. I suppose that did not stick for long

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I would say hurt, mostly because they tend to be one extreme or the other, either hyping something up to a degree that it can't live up to, or making something seem awful when its really just average/ so-so.

iow social media reactions lack the nuance you might get from reading a lengthier review.
    I too feel it is now more hurt than help, a lot of early reviews for Star Wars Last Jedi, Thor Ragnarök, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them had great reviews but fans opinions changed after a few weeks, not only fans but some critics too. who will now write another review questioning something about the film in a month or two.

Despite the cracks of social media reactions, studios will play them and some fans will always get their hope high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I shrug at the first wave reviews of any movies or tv shows because I'm unable to believe them lol! I find them ridiculous.

They actually stop me from watching the movie or tv show when something is that highly rated (90% - 100%)

By the way they are ALWAYS disappointing.

And some fans continue and continue to fall of the early reviews hype. Usually when it comes to comic book movies, I stopped paying attention when early reviews have mostly fun and hilarious positive reactions.

Like anything, case by case basis.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Retired

I am quite immune to what people say on social media--because look at the quality of those special people. I'm not going to follow that herd mentality.

It makes sense to me when something is dumped on Christmas day and millions of people can watch it on streaming, that those with little else going on in their lives are going to use that opportunity to attract attention to themselves by saying the things that generate the most heat. I'd rather watch the yule log.

The best you can do is shut them out, because responding to all that noise just encourages more of it. Until it's not just noise, it's something much worse.