Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Dc Future state : a hit or miss

Personally i would say a bit of both. the Future state timeline left me confuse but so far i did enjoy superman, harley quinn and dectective comic but disappointed with the flash book. But i am not sure i am interested in a monthly series. I might change my mind.

seems a hit from the number of sales and pre-orders.

Huge miss.

10 characters.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Astonishing Member

Been a huge miss for me.

Always Rakzo

EXTREMELY hit and miss. There are some issues that are really great and others that are just "meh".

It's so hit and miss that is reflected into weird inconsistencies. For example, Yara Flor was really likable in her solo series by Joelle Jones but she became really obnoxious in Superman/Wonder Woman, almost like she was a completely different character.

There are some misses (Flash, Teen Titans), but overall I'd say it's a success.
    I actually enjoyed a Harley Quinn book for once, Yara Flor seems like a huge new star, Jace Fox has tons of potential and the JL book was pretty damn good.
    I'm not sold on all of it, but I find myself more interested in FS than anything from the past year, if only to see if the new batch of writers are any good.

Extraordinary Member

Seems about what would be expected if a bunch of random people randomly decided to read a random number of issues on any random month from the same random publisher. You will get a mix of quality combined with books not matching people's tastes mixed with unrealistic expectations.

Overall I am intrigued. First week I only picked up Superman and Wonder Woman, no complaints but not going to argue against the general consensus, although the second week I picked up more books (Teen Titans, Justice League, SM/WW and Kara Zor-El) and there is not a book I regret buying. I am not a "DC Reader" though. As in, I started with Flashpoint/New 52 so getting this mix of new characters and different versions and unexplained status quos is right up my alley, and I don't lose sleep over any character at all not getting favoritism or getting the shaft.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm curious to see what lasting (if any) effects it has on the DCU.
    I'll admit I'm avoiding the entire thing other than Aquaman (the write up for Flash pissed me off in a way words can't convey), and while there are a couple of titles that have piqued my interest, I'm still not sold enough to fork over $ for them.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I have a serious question from someone who only casually reads comics these days.

Why should I care about this?

And I'm not being snarky, I legitimately want to know what kind of impact this will have overall, and why I should care about this. It's stories that are set in a future, which doesn't impact the present day other than saying this is what's going to happen. It's telling us about a future that, at first glance, I don't particularly like, which then turns me off reading present day set stories since I know where it has to go. I guess what I really want to know is what is the point of all of this?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I have a serious question from someone who only casually reads comics these days.

And I'm not being snarky, I legitimately want to know what kind of impact this will have overall, and why I should care about this. It's stories that are set in a future, which doesn't impact the present day other than saying this is what's going to happen. It's telling us about a future that, at first glance, I don't particularly like, which then turns me off reading present day set stories since I know where it has to go. I guess what I really want to know is what is the point of all of this?
    People get hung up on the future bit. Most of the doom and gloom that seems to be emphasis of a few of the stories (to be fair, I am not reading Batman stuff at all) happens every other month in books from all publishers and (particularly with the Big 2) gets solved and they move on to some other doom and gloom for another arc. The Magistrate stuff is no different than Joker War, or City of Bane, or Year Zero, etc etc etc other than because it is not restricted by a publishing schedule can seem to be a more permanent status quo than if the same story was being told in current times.

In short, any stories you read in Future State will matter as much as any stories you read outside of Future State in that a) the story itself is or is not enjoyable and b) some elements may be followed up on by the same creative team (or another) when the books come back to current times in March and beyond, and what I am trying to say here is that they will probably influence more books coming afterwards than any other books you read last year in "main continuity" will.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I'd say it is a big hit.

It's an overall optimistic if not perfect future, internal conitnuity is cohesive and logical, most new characters are really charismatic, etc. It has the energy of stuff like DC 1000000, it's fresh and yet pays homage to all things that make DC "DC". That's not to say all books are masterworks or anything like that, but boy does this feel like a breather after the last ten to fifteen years.

PS: The exception is the Flash book. That one is absolute crap.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

So far, it's a hit.

The Justice League story has been one of the more interesting ones in years.

The Generations book is pretty interesting so far.

The GL book has an interesting premise. We'll see how it pans out.

Too early to tell with the Titans book, but I enjoyed the diversity of characters.

I haven't dug into the other titles yet. I'm not sure I will, given my budget, but the Bat-books seem interesting. Sometimes I feel like those titles are in a rut. The last real big shake-up that grabbed my attention was Morrison's Batman and Robin with Dick and Demian. They've had other good stories since then but no real status quo shake-ups. I know Bruce lost his fortune or something in "name" before Future State, but he's still operating like he always has without any noticeable changes at the end of the day.
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

Too soon to say a hit or miss, because the event is not finish. Is better to wait March to see if it was a good travel or not.

it's kinda too soon to say (we're on week 2 of 8) in 100% good faith but, if i'm being candid, based on what i'm seeing you'd have to be projecting some sorta personal thing if you were to say it's anywhere near a miss. the stories individually vary in quality, but none have been egregiously bad in execution, and holistically the project has brought some solid excitement around what DC's doing. I'd say, for now, it's largely successful in what it's trying to do but we'll have to wait until late-March/early April, when the dust has properly settled, to honestly say if it was/is really a "hit".
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-16-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

None of it is set in stone. It's giving you a future.

Now what it means for the main books-you MAY see elements from FS filter into some and not others.

I think the bottom line is at least we are seeing some folks who been collecting dust or barely used beyond cameos like Shilo Norman.

I think in terms of PRICE-you can get away with this for 2 or 4 issues. It's not trying to give you 12 issues. Less is better in this case.

For some of these guys like Guardian and Norman-who is going to use them again?

Maybe this is a test of can we get away with a 4 part book with Bruce as the lead story and Tim, Cass & Stephanie as the backups?

Do this instead of 4 different books at once.