Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Injustice: Year Zero

As someone who is a fan of the Injustice series (comics and games) I haven't really had a lot of places to talk about this new digital series so I thought I would create one for those who want to discuss this series or ask questions. For those who haven't read it yet but want to try it out luckily its only four issues in and each issue is only a dollar (labeled 99 cents but you know taxes and stuff). Now before I begin remember that this is an elseworld series, so no matter what it has no real effect on main continuity so just sit back and enjoy, plus its at least a year before Injustice so no evil Superman.

So I'm going to start with this, this comic is very Tom Taylor. What that means is that there are moments of great joy, optimism, and heroics that people will no doubt enjoy. In fact the first and second issue are my absolute favorites so far because they are just a fun interaction with the JSA and the Justice League, favorite moment has to be the Flashes getting popcorn during a spar between Batman and Wildcat. In fact it really feels at times that Taylor does a great job with the JSA as a whole.

But then there is the part people may not like, which is the fact that this is Injustice. That means that there is character deaths and some tragedy. We do lose a few members of the JSA in WW2 and its heavily hinted at we will lose more as the story goes on. Overall I'll say this, if you like Injustice or Tom Taylor, besides the fact you are probably already reading it, you should check it out. And if you aren't reading and are curious, hey its pretty cheap.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    As someone who is a fan of the Injustice series (comics and games) I haven't really had a lot of places to talk about this new digital series so I thought I would create one for those who want to discuss this series or ask questions. For those who haven't read it yet but want to try it out luckily its only four issues in and each issue is only a dollar (labeled 99 cents but you know taxes and stuff). Now before I begin remember that this is an elseworld series, so no matter what it has no real effect on main continuity so just sit back and enjoy, plus its at least a year before Injustice so no evil Superman.

So I'm going to start with this, this comic is very Tom Taylor. What that means is that there are moments of great joy, optimism, and heroics that people will no doubt enjoy. In fact the first and second issue are my absolute favorites so far because they are just a fun interaction with the JSA and the Justice League, favorite moment has to be the Flashes getting popcorn during a spar between Batman and Wildcat. In fact it really feels at times that Taylor does a great job with the JSA as a whole.

But then there is the part people may not like, which is the fact that this is Injustice. That means that there is character deaths and some tragedy. We do lose a few members of the JSA in WW2 and its heavily hinted at we will lose more as the story goes on. Overall I'll say this, if you like Injustice or Tom Taylor, besides the fact you are probably already reading it, you should check it out. And if you aren't reading and are curious, hey its pretty cheap.
    Shame the same can't be said for others like Diana given the game writers' lousy concept and Taylor's traditionally lazy writing with her.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-20-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Shame the same can't be said for others like Diana given the gamer writers and Taylor's traditionally lazy writing with her.
    Actually she's part of the JSA in the Injustice universe and is seen fighting alongside them in WW2, so this series is trying to depict her a bit better.
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-20-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Actually she's part of the JSA in the Injustice universe and is seen fighting alongside them in WW2, so this series is trying to depict her a bit better.
    I can't really say based off Taylor's previous writing of her or in his other stories involving her that will play out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomTaylor...40433104875525

I’m fine with more Harley and Ivy from Taylor in Injustice, even if it is a prequel. I mean according to Injustice 2 they did get married in Vegas at some point.
    Words to live by.

I love Taylor's Injustice a whole lot, so I was very excited about this prequel !

Watching Batman/Wildcat sparring, and the Flashes getting PopCorn in 1/2 seconds was gold !
    As for the Joker+Amulet storyline, I wanna see how it plays out, and also got to be ready for the innevitable JSA demise..

There's just one thing I am afraid of, and that being the Amulet's power/influence revealed as the catalyst of Superman's fall
    I trust Taylor enough to know that wont be the case, but still..

So far, these 4 issues were very good ! gotta pity that man's grandson tho..

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomTaylor...40433104875525

I’m fine with more Harley and Ivy from Taylor in Injustice, even if it is a prequel. I mean according to Injustice 2 they did get married in Vegas at some point.
    I'd be more surprised if Taylor didn't write them in.

I read the first three issues and thought they were ok. Nothing really major or original. In certain ways, the issues felt like nice throwbacks to simpler times before the Injustice tragedies begin in full force.

I think part of the reason I was unimpressed is the format of the series. Like many of DC's digital offerings, they're only 10 regular pages worth of content as they basically cut regular pages in halves to make the digital comic seem like it's 20 pages long. I have no idea why DC seems to think that's a better format for digital.
    10 pages is way too little content for each issue and the format is really unappealing for anything other than a phone. When reading on larger devices like tablets, it doesn't work at all. The art looks bigger than intended, especially considering the lack of detail in the artwork of the artists hired for these digital first comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd be more surprised if Taylor didn't write them in.
    Wasn’t sure given this version of Harley is still very much with Joker.
    Words to live by.

Wasn’t sure given this version of Harley is still very much with Joker.
    True, but I wouldn't expect that to stop Taylor from featuring the relationship.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Problem is we all know which station that train of thought is hurdling towards and it's probably the most uninformed take on Diana this side of the century. If anything, at this point good writing could only make things worse.

New issue out today, had to read it early cause of work. Honestly it’s kind of a slow issue, stuff happens but you kind of feel as though you know/can expect the outcome while reading based on the series. In fact given what we know of the main series I’m not sure why they decided to focus time to one storyline in particular. All I can really say is that it moves the plot along to its natural conclusion from the past few issues, for better or worse of course. It’s not bad, you can just probably see it coming or think how you know the outcome so why are we seeing this. Besides that I have a feeling some JSA fans are going to be upset with the next issue, especially since it’s labeled First to die in the JSA.

Will say one thing in Spoilers though, it’s about Alan Scott.
    spoilers:
    so I guess Taylor took the idea of a gay Alan Scott from his work on Earth 2 and made it part of the universe here, but from the looks of it instead of dying in the train accident Jimmy got to grow old with Alan and they are living together as a couple. I know it will probably bring comments about Jade or Obsidian but honestly this is an elseworld series so it really shouldn’t matter and it’s not as if this the first we’ve seen of this by DC.
    end of spoilers
    Words to live by.

BANNED

DC is just crazy about that idea...or maybe just crazy.

By the way I got to ask, anyone else think Lord of Chaos Joker has a bit of a Parallax thing to him? Also yes from the looks of it a year before Joker nukes metropolis and Lois causing Superman to go evil, he goes all Lord of Chaos and kills members of the JSA (we know some make it thanks to Injustice 2, its not a spoiler)

Injustice-Year-Zero-5-spoilers-8.jpg
    Words to live by.

Oh...so Today’s issue is the one people probably are going to take issue with.

I’m basing that off spoilers:
    the Murder of Wesley Dodds and the apparent death of Alan Scott all thanks to the Joker.
    end of spoilers

Oh and spoilers:
    Joker wants to torture Wildcat because he saw a picture of the JSA and JLA where Batman looked to be showing him respect or admiration.
    end of spoilers

Edit: Oh yeah one other really big thing happens

spoilers:
    Joker learns the identity and addresses to people in the JSA, we see Wildcat, Black Canary (Dinah Drake), and Wildcat.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-15-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    Words to live by.