Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Son Goku vs Thor, with a twist

Son Goku, the Saiyan from Earth.

vs.

Thor Odinson, Marvel's god of Thunder.

Here's the catch: For the purposes of this rumble, the only thing that is canon for Thor is issues written by Walter Simonson. Nothing else is in play. All the normal board rules for consistency are still in place, the only difference is which comics are used to determine that.

Son Goku, for the record, will be confined to solely his feats from the original Manga. No Super stuff.

The fight will be run twice

1. Non-Bloodlusted, both are just fighting each other for the fun of it.
    2. Bloodlusted fight.

And as a Bonus, they sit and talk.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Well Goku is a lot faster at least.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Goku's speed edge should still be largely telling. He's also still got raw power edge. Thor could win a fight if he had time to act - Mjolnir has lots of esoterics on offer - but he isn't getting that time before eating a planet-buster in the chops. Then another. Then another. Then another.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Not that this couldn't be true in most other Thor threads if it ever came to it, but the fact that we're focused solely on Walt Simonson's run means that we could likely have Giant Ape Goku vs. Throg.

While I am pretty familiar with Goku overall, the only Thor I've ever remotely followed is the MCU one, so, this is out of my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    While I am pretty familiar with Goku overall, the only Thor I've ever remotely followed is the MCU one, so, this is out of my hands.
    616 Thor, in the Simonsen era, was a high-end class 100, with intergalactic travel speed, reflexes faster than a bullet timer but slower than a low end speedster, who has a magic hammer that lets him do all kinds of stuff: time and dimensional travel and dump-offs, transmutation, weather control, energy projection, energy manipulation, etc.

Against Goku from DBZ, he's just far too slow to do anything before he gets knocked into next week. Then year. Then decade.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member

What speed is Goku at?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    What speed is Goku at?
    DBZ speed scaling is hard. It basically goes so and so was high-end bullet time way back in DB. That person was a statue to someone one arc later. And again. And again. And again. And again - ad nauseum. At the high end, people who react to blasts coming at light speed at least (though at range) can't see the movements of certain characters, until they get better and... can, and that was several arcs ago.

A fair place to put end-of-DBZ level Goku, Vegeta, Buu, etc., to me, is some large fraction of light speed reactions, probably similar to Superman or so. That said, this is an easy place to cause an 11 page argument/discussion on the board, so if you want to go for it, be prepared.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    DBZ speed scaling is hard. It basically goes so and so was high-end bullet time way back in DB. That person was a statue to someone one arc later. And again. And again. And again. And again - ad nauseum. At the high end, people who react to blasts coming at light speed at least (though at range) can't see the movements of certain characters, until they get better and... can, and that was several arcs ago.

A fair place to put end-of-DBZ level Goku, Vegeta, Buu, etc., to me, is some large fraction of light speed reactions, probably similar to Superman or so. That said, this is an easy place to cause an 11 page argument/discussion on the board, so if you want to go for it, be prepared.
    Super has some pretty bonkers stuff in there, I recall Goku being fast enough to overcome time dilation on raw speed prior to unlocking and then perfecting Ultra Instinct.

One day I'll do some kind of speed breakdown for DB and DBZ

But never Super. I don't like DB that much at the best of times but I refuse to watch/read Super more than once.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Super has some pretty bonkers stuff in there, I recall Goku being fast enough to overcome time dilation on raw speed prior to unlocking and then perfecting Ultra Instinct.

One day I'll do some kind of speed breakdown for DB and DBZ

But never Super. I don't like DB that much at the best of times but I refuse to watch/read Super more than once.
    Super also has an explicit reference to a character being faster than light. But that's not super relevant, since Super feats aren't allowed in this fight.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Super also has an explicit reference to a character being faster than light. But that's not super relevant, since Super feats aren't allowed in this fight.
    Ah skimmed the OP, my apologies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Ah skimmed the OP, my apologies.
    Yeah, I knew Super Goku was too OP, so I limited it to the original Manga in the hopes of making a more even battle.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

speed kills, sadly for thor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    speed kills, sadly for thor.
    Yeah, I was hoping Simonson's Thor had better speed feats than Thor typically gets.

Maybe I should add in a Speed Equalized fight?

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post

Don't forget Gohan. Guy fought Super Buu with Gotenks absorbed, and dominated. That version was almost certainly stronger than the Kid Buu that SSJ3 Goku and SSJ2 Vegeta struggled so badly against.