Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Is there still a chance to avoid sword/shield warrior woman from taking over?

This year is Diana's 80th anniversary. And i was hoping we could truly celebrate her character and iconic mythos, gear and cast. But i still see the sword and shield taking center stage, instead of WW's actual powers, skills and classic tools that made her stand out. The warrior princess archetype is anything but unique. Compared to Diana's classic mythos, gear and character traits. I was hoping WW84 could be a hit with no sword and shield in sight and that could help to change things in comics and other adaptations. But given the context of the world with this pandemic, that is impossible. So do we still have any chance to see Diana as Wonder Woman(powerhouse, diplomat, warrior, scientist) or are we stuck to just glorified super human warrior woman? Where she is about stan first ask later. Where most of her feats are generic sword/shield moves. Almost 0 showings of her own powers in big ways, almost no use of her iconic gear or her fighting technique. Do we still have any chance to change this patern of the past years?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

There are people who like warrior woman and there are people who like peacemakers. They are a different set of audience with a different taste, so first they need to target that group with a clear, easy to understand message and striking visual, then they need to consistently commit to it despite the rejection and derision from the other group.

That last part I don't trust WB to do it because they let go of Snyder and started meddling after seeing their movies can't overtake Marvel, and I don't see them caring about "the message"

BANNED

I think the sword and shield will stick around since they're featured in her most well received adaptation. It'll just become a part of the general public's consciousness.

I mean, it's now a common element in fan art for her.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-14-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I think the sword and shield will stick around since they're featured in her most well received adaptation. It'll just become a part of the general public's consciousness.

I mean, it's now a common element in fan art for her.

That design is so cool, but yeah even then the sword is being kept. I don't know, I'm just gonna keep ignoring the sword until it goes away.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

They're never going to go away with how the movie hit and how DC and dudebros are obsessed with them.

It's more about "will the lasso, bracelets and tiara be forgotten" which I really hope they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They're never going to go away with how the movie hit and how DC and dudebros are obsessed with them.

It's more about "will the lasso, bracelets and tiara be forgotten" which I really hope they don't.
    But are the editors forcing this, or do we have a chance that some writers can decide to avoid them?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

This is what the real arguments about the sword and shield boil down to and it is completely unfounded. Every shot with the sword and shield also features the Lasso and it still gets prominent use most of the time. In fact, it's actually rare for the sword to be the deciding factor in a fight. Furthermore, the sword and shield are easy scapegoats for Diana being written poorly and that can happen without them as seen in most of the JLU cartoon.

The sword and shield are not the true problems with how DC handles Diana and the hostility towards them reeks of appeal to originalism and aversion towards any change to the character whether they be good or bad (and yes, there have been bad changes to Diana but again, the sword and shield don't necessarily fall under that category).
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-15-2021 at 02:09 AM.

Fantastic Member

Well done..I really like this balance of warrior look (less swimsuit), and the lasso not so overly glowing, but could just use a bit of more golden. The sword can get in the way of immediately mobility...would you be kind enough to draw her bracelets creating an extension shield and sword (one in each hand), meaning one of them becomes a shield that is still attached to her wrist, although doing that with a sword can be tricky.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    This year is Diana's 80th anniversary. And i was hoping we could truly celebrate her character and iconic mythos, gear and cast. But i still see the sword and shield taking center stage, instead of WW's actual powers, skills and classic tools that made her stand out. The warrior princess archetype is anything but unique. Compared to Diana's classic mythos, gear and character traits. I was hoping WW84 could be a hit with no sword and shield in sight and that could help to change things in comics and other adaptations. But given the context of the world with this pandemic, that is impossible. So do we still have any chance to see Diana as Wonder Woman(powerhouse, diplomat, warrior, scientist) or are we stuck to just glorified super human warrior woman? Where she is about stan first ask later. Where most of her feats are generic sword/shield moves. Almost 0 showings of her own powers in big ways, almost no use of her iconic gear or her fighting technique. Do we still have any chance to change this patern of the past years?
    But isn't the sword and shield warrior woman depiction only for when Diana is in team depictions. In her Rebirth Wonder Woman series, she's never come off as a warrior woman despite the many head writers. Bloodlines she has a sword and shield, but she is still very much about peace and looking for alternatives to battle. Wonder Woman 2017 has a sword and shield, but she is no way a warrior woman, and her final battle against Ares exclusively uses the lasso and bracelets. It's the bracelets that defeat Ares. Wonder Woman 1984 is self-explanatory, and even the preview for Immortal Wonder Woman only shows the lasso and bracelets.

I think pure Wonder Woman depictions are actually pretty faithful to the character; it's only when we get into team stuff like Justice League and maybe the upcoming Justice Society that Warrior Woman becomes her default personality, but that seems to be more because she's seen as the default woman on the team and because the writers aren't particularly interested in her as a character.

What PopQuezy said, it’s not the sword and while that’s the problem. It’s writers, usually ones on team/ensemble/event books like Justice League.

Even Azz in the New 52 wrote her way less kill happy than how she was in John’s JL.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I love Diana using the lasso AND the shield and sword. I have absolutely zero problem with that, and I am glad that DC comics seems not to have any intention of letting go of the sword and shield.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I love Diana using the lasso AND the shield and sword. I have absolutely zero problem with that, and I am glad that DC comics seems not to have any intention of letting go of the sword and shield.
    I don't like the sword and shield. Because they usually end up getting more attention than bracelets and lasso. Plus she ends up using the sword more than her own super strength and her other powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    What PopQuezy said, it’s not the sword and while that’s the problem. It’s writers, usually ones on team/ensemble/event books like Justice League.

Even Azz in the New 52 wrote her way less kill happy than how she was in John’s JL.
    No, she was fine just dismembering her enemies and stealing a sentient creature's offspring from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    No, she was fine just dismembering her enemies and stealing a sentient creature's offspring from her.
    You got me there.

I mean Diana can have both.Much like in new 52. What if her bracelets she can summon weapons? That way she doesn't need to carry it