Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 116
  1. #46
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought Mjöllnir also allowed Thor to "fly" (by Thor basically "throwing" the hammer and being carried with the hammer), but then again, it's been ages since I actually read a Thor comic book story.
    We were talking about combat. And the lasso also lets Diana pull herself to certain places, so it's an even score in terms of having the option of mobility

  2. #47
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Warrior Woman is here to stay and for that I am grateful! WW84 was terrible and just proved to me why loathe pacifist Diana. Sword and Shield Diana has proven to be popular thanks to the DCEU and Injustice (despite being written out of character, she has the sword and shield mostly. The Lasso and Bracelets are cool but so are the sword and shield. I say keep everything and make her an action packed hero, as she should be.
    I am offended and I have the desire to make this argument personal. Can I challenge you to a duel?

  3. #48
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I am offended and I have the desire to make this argument personal. Can I challenge you to a duel?
    Get in line.

  4. #49
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Again, who is asking for Diana to use those weapons against Silver Swan or Dr Psycho. Giganta wouldn't be unreasonable given she's a giant who frequently tries to kill people but it seems that the anti-sword crowd are responding to arguments that no one is making.
    It's not that anyone is making the argument that she should use it against the Silver Swan, just that she already has. Robinson's Rebirth Swan arc featured Diana carrying the sword and shield into combat with her, and while she didn't use them lethally, it begs the question why they were even there. If she's not going to use the sword to cleave or stab, it's going to be cumbersome.

    Giganta would be a little more reasonable than a brainwashed teenager, but still- who's asking for the comic where she stabs Giganta through the foot, or cuts off some fingers or stabs her in the eyes? Because what else would she be doing with a sword?

  5. #50
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Get in line.
    hahaha

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Giganta would be a little more reasonable than a brainwashed teenager, but still- who's asking for the comic where she stabs Giganta through the foot, or cuts off some fingers or stabs her in the eyes? Because what else would she be doing with a sword?
    She would obviously hit Giganta with the hilt, since her super strength is useless. Superman can kill things with his bare hands, but Wonder Woman needs a sword.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-16-2021 at 10:51 AM.

  6. #51
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    hahaha


    She would obviously hit Giganta with the hilt, since her super strength is useless. Superman can kill things with his bare hands, but Wonder Woman needs a sword.
    Brass knuckles too, IMO.

    Now that I think about it, I want Rob Leifeld Wonder Woman, with no hand or feet, many pouches, and big, big guns. I think Diana should be more like the Punisher and shoot or blow up the bad guys, and maybe random civilians to boot.

  7. #52
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's not that anyone is making the argument that she should use it against the Silver Swan, just that she already has. Robinson's Rebirth Swan arc featured Diana carrying the sword and shield into combat with her, and while she didn't use them lethally, it begs the question why they were even there. If she's not going to use the sword to cleave or stab, it's going to be cumbersome.

    Giganta would be a little more reasonable than a brainwashed teenager, but still- who's asking for the comic where she stabs Giganta through the foot, or cuts off some fingers or stabs her in the eyes? Because what else would she be doing with a sword?
    Isn't Giganta usually KO'd with one punch in the comics? I actually would argue Silver Swan makes more sense for the sword and shield since the latest version has the sharp, metallic wings that are used as weapons, Swan is more agile, and Giganta - more often than not - is a visually appealing jobber.

    However, I do agree with your overall point, the sword is pointless if she isn't going to stab anyone with them. I actually feel the same about Wolverine in cartoon adaptations. Why give a character a weapon they obviously can't use effectively.

  8. #53
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Isn't Giganta usually KO'd with one punch in the comics? I actually would argue Silver Swan makes more sense for the sword and shield since the latest version has the sharp, metallic wings that are used as weapons, Swan is more agile, and Giganta - more often than not - is a visually appealing jobber.

    However, I do agree with your overall point, the sword is pointless if she isn't going to stab anyone with them. I actually feel the same about Wolverine in cartoon adaptations. Why give a character a weapon they obviously can't use effectively.
    I would say it's a bit harder to fix Logan's claws, since he can't exactky remove them from his body (super healing and all) and it's essential for his appeal.

  9. #54
    Fantastic Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Warrior Woman is here to stay and for that I am grateful! WW84 was terrible and just proved to me why loathe pacifist Diana. Sword and Shield Diana has proven to be popular thanks to the DCEU and Injustice (despite being written out of character, she has the sword and shield mostly. The Lasso and Bracelets are cool but so are the sword and shield. I say keep everything and make her an action packed hero, as she should be.
    So far. WW's best and most badass combat momentsare from the pre sword and shield era. In the comics and animated adaptations without the sword and shield. She still had great fighting moments that actually showed her powers as a real powerhouse and her skills as a fighter. It is very ironic that sword and shield warrior woman from current comics and the DCEU, who is supposed to be all about how badass she is in combat, still has 0 feats or fighting moments as well elaborated as WW in her best fights from pre 2011 comics and from animations. WW showed higher level of power and higher level of skills before sword and shield took over. And i'm sure i'm not the only one that noticed it. And on top of that, she could still be shown as a loving and compassinate being, while also being portrayed as a powerhouse and a warrior. Yet one trick pony warrior woman still hasn't even been able to master what she is supposed to master. To be a badass in combat. I'm still waiting for her boring self to give me a combat moment of really epic proportions. Instead of just some generic sword and shield moves and some jumping around. Classic WW truly was a more complete package.

  10. #55
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    372

    Default

    As I've said, I prefer to have both. Clearly, many people also like the sword and shield (I'm less fan of the shield due to her bracelets). I would have preferred that they emphasize the various modes the bracelets can be used in so many ways such as blocking independent projectiles, using the shockwave effect as a pre-emptive barrier to repel projectiles/incoming attack, Aegis effect (whole body shielding) wherein incoming energy/mystical fire or incoming projectiles are blocked or destroyed on contact, as well WW skills coming into factor in redirecting bullets back. Most of this has been done before, but it will be cool to see a huge object (boulder, bus, enemy ship, something massive, etc.) crashing against WW with her bracelets crossed and that object shattering around her as she stands her ground.

    As far as the sword and shield are concerned, I would be okay if WW can magically transform her bracelets with extended attachments (one being a shield and the other one being a blade). She only does this, of course, as a last resort when absolutely necessary. The weapons are neutral; it's the way they are written into the story. If not the bracelets, then the lasso can be transformed into a sword and bow with eldritch bolt (better than crossing her bracelets and producing lighting which is not so artistic in my opinion). Also, I prefer they really get someone to teach (especially in the live movie) for WW to use lasso properly and more artistically (anywhere from classical use of lassos in ancient times, rodeo techniques and rope dart techniques). Having her lasso move magically not so naturally is not so appealing to the eye. If they want to go that route, I would rather have her have telepathic control of her lasso wherein she can move it in so many natural ways but without hand contact; that will add a bit more artful taste into it.

  11. #56
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    As I've said, I prefer to have both. Clearly, many people also like the sword and shield (I'm less fan of the shield due to her bracelets). I would have preferred that they emphasize the various modes the bracelets can be used in so many ways such as blocking independent projectiles, using the shockwave effect as a pre-emptive barrier to repel projectiles/incoming attack, Aegis effect (whole body shielding) wherein incoming energy/mystical fire or incoming projectiles are blocked or destroyed on contact, as well WW skills coming into factor in redirecting bullets back. Most of this has been done before, but it will be cool to see a huge object (boulder, bus, enemy ship, something massive, etc.) crashing against WW with her bracelets crossed and that object shattering around her as she stands her ground.

    As far as the sword and shield are concerned, I would be okay if WW can magically transform her bracelets with extended attachments (one being a shield and the other one being a blade). She only does this, of course, as a last resort when absolutely necessary. The weapons are neutral; it's the way they are written into the story. If not the bracelets, then the lasso can be transformed into a sword and bow with eldritch bolt (better than crossing her bracelets and producing lighting which is not so artistic in my opinion). Also, I prefer they really get someone to teach (especially in the live movie) for WW to use lasso properly and more artistically (anywhere from classical use of lassos in ancient times, rodeo techniques and rope dart techniques). Having her lasso move magically not so naturally is not so appealing to the eye. If they want to go that route, I would rather have her have telepathic control of her lasso wherein she can move it in so many natural ways but without hand contact; that will add a bit more artful taste into it.
    We saw most of these in the first Wonder Woman film. I always thought one of the most impressive uses of the bracelets is when she redirects the bullet into Ludendorf's gun to destroy it. I also think your Aegis Effect is used when Ares and a ton of debris are headed Diana's way, and she uses the bracelets to stop all the projectiles, and then forces them away. The bracelets are also used to absorb lightning and destroy Ares.

    So far, I think the two films have done Diana's iconic weapons a lot of justice. The first threat was defeated due to the bracelets. The second threat was defeated due to the lasso. The sword is literally useless in the final battle against Ares, and I don't remember the shield being used at all against Ares.

  12. #57
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Well done..I really like this balance of warrior look (less swimsuit), and the lasso not so overly glowing, but could just use a bit of more golden. The sword can get in the way of immediately mobility...would you be kind enough to draw her bracelets creating an extension shield and sword (one in each hand), meaning one of them becomes a shield that is still attached to her wrist, although doing that with a sword can be tricky.

  13. #58
    The Last Dragon masterwitcher88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    WW:84 just took things to the extreme with her trying not to cause anyone harm but the lasso action was fantastic. They just need a good medium between the two.
    I'm agreeing with this. I LOVED the lasso in WW84, I will always view it as her primary weapon and yes I also get pissed when she is using a sword and shield against enemies that she doesn't need to. But I also like stories where Diana does use a sword and shield, take Rucka's first run in her fights with Medusa and Barios. Rucka also didn't have Diana swing a sword at silver swan becuase he is a competent writer that knows Diana to well. TLDR: Diana using a sword and shield against immortal gods and monsters/demons is fine by me and visually cool, anywhere else is a huge nope.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

  14. #59
    Fantastic Member Primal Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Titans did a good job of showing how a Wonder doesnt need a sword even in a sword fight. Donna uses her lasso against Deathstroke the entire time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2b...stAndFurious4K

    DC Universe showed a Diana who looks cool with a sword vs. Deathstroke but versatile enough to not rely on it.


    The general audience would be fine with WW not using a sword but you have to ensure that you give her a cool enough action scene.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-16-2021 at 08:16 PM.

  15. #60
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    That Titans clip is quite dope. The lasso has an incredible amount of versatility and making her relly on a sword is a disrespect to both this and her super strength. If you want a good measure of how much she should use a sword then look at Thor. There are instances of him using the sword, it's not a regular thing for him because his powers and mjolnir can fix almost every situation.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-16-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •