Incredible Member

Default Yara Flor in Justice League & Superman/Wonder Woman: SPOILERS present

It's in the title. Them spoilers. You were warned!

But I'm not out to spoil everything.

Anyway...Superman/Wonder Woman

I was struck by how the dynamic was similar to the Soule & Tomasi Superman/Wonder Woman title after Flashpoint, with Jon being as optimistic and hopeful as Clark & Yara being the more aggressive, angry one, though Yara is not nearly as angry as Tomasi made Diana out to be (in my memory, anyway). But Yara is also playful and fun in this title, just in a bad ass way, and I really like the introduction of Kuat the sun & his brother the moon. I'm not that familiar with Solaris as a villain, but his introduction is also fun.

And onto Justice League...

I'll just start out by saying that I liked the Justice League Dark back-up more than the main story, despite the heavy exposition. However, in the main story, I did not see the plot twist coming, and it's a nice nod to Morrison's JLA run. The main story is set before Superman/Wonder Woman, I think.

The part I was most curious about in the main story was the splash page introducing the league, which identifies Yara this way: "Her predecessor wished to bring peace to humanity, but she (Yara) wished to bring peace to the Gods." And I'm not exactly sure of what that means, but I suspect it ties into the Superman/Wonder Woman moment in which the Moon notes that "My brother knows as well as I do that it is only because of you - because Wonder Woman is of our lineage - that people even believe in us again."

So is she bringing "peace" to the gods by facilitating their meaningfulness in the world again? Is that peace? I don't know, but I want some of that homemade cachaça.

Also, for those who care about power set issues, she clearly flies in Justice League but doesn't seem to in Superman/Wonder Woman.

I hadn't really planned to buy either of these, but I broke down and did, and I was pleasantly surprised. What did y'all think?
    Last edited by Frank; 01-13-2021 at 05:14 PM.

Arrow

For those wondering about Solaris, here you go -

"Solaris was a sentient, artificial sun created in the 20th century and a recurring nemesis of Superman (who is known in the 853rd century as Superman Prime)."

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Solaris_(DC_One_Million)
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I picked up both issues and thought they were decent. I thought Yara was the standout of the new characters. She feels like she has the strongest voice of them all.

I guess Yara's mission is to teach the gods a better way to act?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I picked up both issues and thought they were decent. I thought Yara was the standout of the new characters. She feels like she has the strongest voice of them all.

I guess Yara's mission is to teach the gods a better way to act?
    If the idea is that the power of the gods is a byproduct of the world admiring her, then it makes sense she would have a different relationship with them.

Yara continues to be one of the only shining lights in the mostly bleak world of Future State. Makes me happy she's one of the few ideas from this event that'll be carried over into the main books. I was not expecting to love this character as much as I do but man, I can't wait to read more of her.