Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Why Do People Dislike The Dark Knight Rises?

I actually think it's on par with the Dark Knight. The revelation that Miranda Tate was predictable, but at least TDKR didn't have that goofy, mid-90s cgi looking Two Face.

Also was the ending where Alfred see's Bruce Wayne along with Selina Kyle some sort of dream sequence?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-13-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I actually think it's on par with the Dark Knight. The revelation that Miranda Tate was predictable, but at least TDKR didn't have that goofy, mid-90s cgi looking Two Face.

Also was the ending where Alfred see's Bruce Wayne along with Selina Kyle some sort of dream sequence?

I don't hate it, but Batman having to come back from medical problems twice in the same story is a bit too much Batman-having-to-come-back-from-a-medical-problem. It feels a little bloated, and might have benefitted from starting more in medias res.

Extraordinary Member

The general consensus is that it's a good movie but falls short of its predecessor. Complaints range from not enough Batman, a poorly handled twist villain, a few glaring plot holes, and borrowing too much from the Dark Knight, like introducing the villain in the same manner. People still praise its acting. themes, many breathtaking scenes like the aforementioned introduction of Bane, and being a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy. The haters are a loud minority, but most people still agree the script could have used some more work.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The general consensus is that it's a good movie but falls short of its predecessor. Complaints range from not enough Batman, a poorly handled twist villain, a few glaring plot holes, and borrowing too much from the Dark Knight, like introducing the villain in the same manner. People still praise its acting. themes, many breathtaking scenes like the aforementioned introduction of Bane, and being a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy. The haters are a loud minority, but most people still agree the script could have used some more work.
    For the most part, I agree. It's not as good as its predecessors, but not as bad as some make it out to be.

It does feel a bit overstuffed, though, and then it muddles up the character motivations themselves. All three movies have a measure of, "do the ends justify the means." The first movie had a pretty strong theme of talking about that issue from a nature vs. nurture standpoint (hence the movie spending much more time and insight into Bruce's origins than any previous film), and the second one through a lens of moral chaos (partly why Joker makes such an impact). The third seemed to want to talk about it through socioeconomic class and I thought it was pretty timely that it was coming out at roughly the same time as Occupy Wall Street, but without a real emphasis on a central character to funnel that discussion through, it kinda gets lost in the mix.

Part of me wonders, though, how much of that is Nolan (who does fantastic work) and how much of that could have been studio interference to stuff as much Bat-mythos as possible, though. After all, the Batman trilogy is the only work of Nolan's that's made into a kid-friendly toyline (unless there's a toddler line of Inception toys I'm not aware of).

While I have issues with Batman taking 8 years off because Rachel died. I think TDKR suffers from the same fate as ROTJ and Godfather III none of these films are bad IMO quite good when compared to other films. But following a sequel that was considered not only better than the original which was already held in high regards but considered one of the best films of all time means that the 3rd film no matter how good has very little chance to live up to the middle act of the trilogy of films.

BANNED

The movie's 3rd act was sloppy and messy. A lot of this comic book directors like Christopher Nolan who moslty did grounded comic book movies that used more drama than action, when they try to go big with their comic books, they struggle badly. I was so surprised how disjointed the third act was with scenes.

The Dark Knight Rises is Christian Bale's weakest performance playing Batman.

It was a passable finale. The best film was Batman Begins.

My criticism of TDKR is that it almost blew my face off with greatness, and then made me cry, especially the last 10 minutes. Its just far too dangerous of a movie to be allowable. Like immortality and time travel, human beings just simply are not ready for that kind of awesomeness.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Is Anne Hataway underrated playing Catwoman?

I thought she did a good job, she never gets credit for that.

Agree, it was good, it's just that The Dark Knight was great, especially considering Ledgers legendary performance. As far as action, it was better than TDK, but it just wasn't a better film.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

When it came out, I heard a local reviewer on the radio raving about it and analyzing the meaning of the movie. I think that in that sense it's more of a Christopher Nolan movie than THE DARK KNIGHT. He loves these big ideas--where the movie is actually a statement about some important condition. The thing is that this all makes the movie a bit too heavy for its own good and it can't move lightly from point to point. It's a good movie to think about, but I never did have the urge to see it again (although I did) whereas THE DARK KNIGHT is a movie you want to watch over and over again.

The reason people put it down is because that's the times we live in right now. You would think we're all at the court of Louis XVI and we're all being judged by how well we can fashion our derisive remarks.

I thought it was a worthy conclusion to the series. Granted, the trilogy does feel a little disjointed (Begins and Rises are heavy into the League of Shadows stuff, while the Dark Knight feels a little like a side story that's only loosely tied to the larger narrative), but seeing how some of that was unavoidable (e.g. Heath Ledger's unexpected passing), I'd say they changed course as well as could be expected under the circumstances. Rises might be the weakest of the bunch, but I've seen trilogies with far worse "weakest" installments.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I love it. It's the one I re watch the most of the trilogy. It is almost a comfort food movie for me. I can kinda just put it on, and pay whatever amount of attention I feel like.

I think it's about as good as TDK, but Ledger's Joker performance and subsequent death really overshadowed everything. I also think that TDK was "the first" ya know? It was basically groundbreaking for super hero movies, and even the direct sequel is going to suffer by comparison.

That said, I think it is a great movie, and a great conclusion to the trilogy.

And to the OP, no the end wasn't a dream sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Is Anne Hataway underrated playing Catwoman?

I thought she did a good job, she never gets credit for that.
    She was one of the few things I liked about that movie.

I enjoyed it in general. disappointing to experience the death of Heath Ledger and wondering "what if" he were in the film.

Catwoman was way better than the 1992 version.

The abrupt resolution of the end of Dark Knight was odd, and disappointing. I thought Batman would be on the run/outlaw instead of just retired.

I would have preferred that the John character not be given a "robin" wink at the end. Was just kind of pointless. he was already an adult, not a teen sidekick.