Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Why Do People Dislike The Dark Knight Rises?

I actually think it's on par with the Dark Knight. The revelation that Miranda Tate was predictable, but at least TDKR didn't have that goofy, mid-90s cgi looking Two Face.

Also was the ending where Alfred see's Bruce Wayne along with Selina Kyle some sort of dream sequence?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-13-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I actually think it's on par with the Dark Knight. The revelation that Miranda Tate was predictable, but at least TDKR didn't have that goofy, mid-90s cgi looking Two Face.

Also was the ending where Alfred see's Bruce Wayne along with Selina Kyle some sort of dream sequence?

I don't hate it, but Batman having to come back from medical problems twice in the same story is a bit too much Batman-having-to-come-back-from-a-medical-problem. It feels a little bloated, and might have benefitted from starting more in medias res.

Extraordinary Member

The general consensus is that it's a good movie but falls short of its predecessor. Complaints range from not enough Batman, a poorly handled twist villain, a few glaring plot holes, and borrowing too much from the Dark Knight, like introducing the villain in the same manner. People still praise its acting. themes, many breathtaking scenes like the aforementioned introduction of Bane, and being a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy. The haters are a loud minority, but most people still agree the script could have used some more work.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The general consensus is that it's a good movie but falls short of its predecessor. Complaints range from not enough Batman, a poorly handled twist villain, a few glaring plot holes, and borrowing too much from the Dark Knight, like introducing the villain in the same manner. People still praise its acting. themes, many breathtaking scenes like the aforementioned introduction of Bane, and being a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy. The haters are a loud minority, but most people still agree the script could have used some more work.
    For the most part, I agree. It's not as good as its predecessors, but not as bad as some make it out to be.

It does feel a bit overstuffed, though, and then it muddles up the character motivations themselves. All three movies have a measure of, "do the ends justify the means." The first movie had a pretty strong theme of talking about that issue from a nature vs. nurture standpoint (hence the movie spending much more time and insight into Bruce's origins than any previous film), and the second one through a lens of moral chaos (partly why Joker makes such an impact). The third seemed to want to talk about it through socioeconomic class and I thought it was pretty timely that it was coming out at roughly the same time as Occupy Wall Street, but without a real emphasis on a central character to funnel that discussion through, it kinda gets lost in the mix.

Part of me wonders, though, how much of that is Nolan (who does fantastic work) and how much of that could have been studio interference to stuff as much Bat-mythos as possible, though. After all, the Batman trilogy is the only work of Nolan's that's made into a kid-friendly toyline (unless there's a toddler line of Inception toys I'm not aware of).

While I have issues with Batman taking 8 years off because Rachel died. I think TDKR suffers from the same fate as ROTJ and Godfather III none of these films are bad IMO quite good when compared to other films. But following a sequel that was considered not only better than the original which was already held in high regards but considered one of the best films of all time means that the 3rd film no matter how good has very little chance to live up to the middle act of the trilogy of films.

BANNED

The movie's 3rd act was sloppy and messy. A lot of this comic book directors like Christopher Nolan who moslty did grounded comic book movies that used more drama than action, when they try to go big with their comic books, they struggle badly. I was so surprised how disjointed the third act was with scenes.

The Dark Knight Rises is Christian Bale's weakest performance playing Batman.

It was a passable finale. The best film was Batman Begins.

I enjoyed it in general. disappointing to experience the death of Heath Ledger and wondering "what if" he were in the film.

Catwoman was way better than the 1992 version.

The abrupt resolution of the end of Dark Knight was odd, and disappointing. I thought Batman would be on the run/outlaw instead of just retired.

I would have preferred that the John character not be given a "robin" wink at the end. Was just kind of pointless. he was already an adult, not a teen sidekick.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

It is full of too many plot conveniences and unexplained plot points and just stupidity in general. Bruce has been recluse for years and then immediately trusts this Tate woman, and it was never explained how she even knew he was working on a reactor, or how Bruce got back to Gotham. Big plot points of his knee and back were magically fixed in a few seconds. Bane's plan kinda dumb really he has no reason to let Bruce suffer he should've just killed him when he had the chance, neither he or Tate were even there to see him suffer anyway so typical villain writing.

Ofc Gordon being an idiot and sending every cop underground lmao . So much more stuff but those are the big stuff I remember.

The ending would've been more poignant has the set up for it been in the 1st or 2nd film not in the same film...

I thought the script was much better for the final fight was so much more epic and brutal, I probably get some of it had to be cut cuz of ratings but stuff like the tumbler coming between Batman and Bane should've been kept and the toned down stuff could've been added back on home video, alas...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    87% on Rottentomatoes with a audience score of 90%.

8.2 out of 10 with user reviews on IMDB.

So I would say the folks that despise it are in the small minority.
    If you asked all these people to re-rate the film I would suspect it would be significantly lower, the film had hype and even I at the time thought it was better than TDK lmao.
    Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan; 01-15-2021 at 10:06 AM.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It's a good movie, just not a great one. Seems pretty clear that Nolan was a little lost when Ledger died and couldn't adequately replace him.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Too high expectations from TDK. Retreading the same story from TDK. Bane wasn't a very good villain. Him going into retirement for eight years. The stereotypical ending. Bane was basically the Joker with a mask on. Expose the people of Gotham as animals. Got it. We only had two other movies that did the exact same plot but okay. It seems like all Batman projects act like Gotham is some sort of zoo or outdoor prison and that the people who live there are all cannibals or something. It's an American city. In the 21st century. This isn't Victor Hugo's France.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post

I thought it was decent but not up there with DK.

I thought the scene with Alfred at the end was more Alfred seeing what he wanted to see and so that some fans who needed that could interpret it as real.

I thought Selina Kyle was okay. In the movie proper, they never called her Catwoman, which I thought was somewhat shying away from the material.

I want a Batman movie that introduces Robin- and not right at the end- because not doing so shies away from a major part of the Batman story.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I enjoyed it in general. disappointing to experience the death of Heath Ledger and wondering "what if" he were in the film.
    We will always wonder.

Catwoman was way better than the 1992 version.
    Didn't see the '92 version, but I did like Hathaway for the version for what it was.

The abrupt resolution of the end of Dark Knight was odd, and disappointing. I thought Batman would be on the run/outlaw instead of just retired.
    IMHO, it was the only ending that made sense. From the first movie, it was established that Bruce Wayne didn't see the Batman as his life's calling, but something to do to fix Gotham and then retire from. He tells Rachel as much in the first movie and the second one has the subplot of him wondering if Harvey Dent could carry on the job better than the Batman could. While you might argue that Alfred's dream of him leaving it all behind and finding a happier life elsewhere in Italy was a little on the nose in terms coming true to the letter, we should've seen it coming.

I would have preferred that the John character not be given a "robin" wink at the end. Was just kind of pointless. he was already an adult, not a teen sidekick.
    Guess it was to show that Bruce's legacy would live on after him. I mean, a major running theme through the series was that the Batman was not any single man, but a symbol. A symbol that didn't wear hockey pads, but still. With out John Blake, the symbol would die with Bruce.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

87% on Rottentomatoes with a audience score of 90%.

8.2 out of 10 with user reviews on IMDB.

So I would say the folks that despise it are in the small minority.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The movie had some good stuff here and there, but overall it was a confused mess and WAY too contrived even for a superhero movie. ENTIRE Gotham police force lured into tunnels and kept there for FIVE months was so silly it totally took me off the movie. Then Batman frees the police who charge unarmed at the criminals who have massive firepower, yet they don't actually SHOOT them but it becomes a giant melee. 'Robin' is pointless and in general the movie has too many twists and turns most of which aren't particularly clever.
    Basically, it's a storyline which might have worked as a 10-part TV series, but not as a single movie. It's a shame because Bale & Hathaway make a good lead couple with decent chemistry.
    None of my friends particularly liked it, everyone thinks it's easily worst of the trilogy so I am completely at loss where the high ratings come from. Maybe people just stuff the reviews because it's Nolan but it's easily his worst movie and honestly just watching it blind I would never guess it's him directing.