Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Retired

BATMAN BEGINS is also my favourite of the three. I always remember how excited I got the first time I saw that movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    I was one of those that didn't like it. I don't think it was terrible, but still a major step down on the others.

I think the general problem was that the realist style doesn't jell with the ludicrous plot events. And that there weren't, for me at least, major characters of high charisma to distract me from this.
    Nolan cracks were already showing with that. the realism was no longer matching up well to the events. No way, Batman could have fought Bane again and won with that broken back.

We should be thankful Nolan knew when to quit. Either way I liked the film. it's a less flawed 3rd movie to X-Men 3 or Spiderman 3.

I remember the intensive rivalry it had with Avengers 2012, while Avengers 2012 was more enjoyable to watch in cinema, TDKR grows on you more, you cannot help but appreciate Nolan as an honest film maker even his flawed films like The Dark Knight Rises

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Nolan cracks were already showing with that. the realism was no longer matching up well to the events. No way, Batman could have fought Bane again and won with that broken back.

We should be thankful Nolan knew when to quit. Either way I liked the film. it's a less flawed 3rd movie to X-Men 3 or Spiderman 3.

I remember the intensive rivalry it had with Avengers 2012, while Avengers 2012 was more enjoyable to watch in cinema, TDKR grows on you more, you cannot help but appreciate Nolan as an honest film maker even his flawed films like The Dark Knight Rises
    There was no intense rivalry TDKR was following a billion dollar movie which was critically praised. The MCU during Phase 1 was seen as successful franchise for RDJ and cute experiment in the idea of a shared cinematic universe it was Avengers 2012 that started the talk of the MCU being a industry juggernaut that was solidified in 2014 with Winter Soldier and GOTG.

As for TDKR almost no one was making comparisons to Marvel and the few who did got drowned out once Aurora happened and that's all anyone talked about in 2012 when connected to TDKR not Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There was no intense rivalry TDKR was following a billion dollar movie which was critically praised. The MCU during Phase 1 was seen as successful franchise for RDJ and cute experiment in the idea of a shared cinematic universe it was Avengers 2012 that started the talk of the MCU being a industry juggernaut that was solidified in 2014 with Winter Soldier and GOTG.

As for TDKR almost no one was making comparisons to Marvel and the few who did got drowned out once Aurora happened and that's all anyone talked about in 2012 when connected to TDKR not Avengers.
    There was an intense rivalry, it only got worse when Nolan threw small shade at Avengers and the nolan fanboys who were on DC fans side starting having meltdowns when TDKR got its first rotten score, RT had to shut down because the nolan fanboys were sending death threats because TDKR score was dropping below Avengers.

https://www.indiewire.com/2012/07/da...hreats-129612/

that to me was the first time I knew how deep the Marvel vs DC thing was. every website back then had polls of Avengers vs TDKR and there were memes, unforgettable memes

I don't care much about the MCU industry thing now in 2021, we have already since post 2012 that standalone comic book movies aged better than the big mass industry MCU style of movies, TDKR was one of the close ends to a different comic book era of standalones comic book movies with some honest film making descriptions
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Castle; 01-15-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    BATMAN BEGINS is also my favourite of the three. I always remember how excited I got the first time I saw that movie.
    Mine as well. So much of it was what I thought of as Batman.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Mine as well. So much of it was what I thought of as Batman.
    Batman Begins has been a lot of people favourites. movie is a better batman movie about the character and gotham.

The Dark knight is a Joker movie. It's told and thought out from Joker's POV. However I don't like how people don't see that when they use that against TDK to argue Batman in the Nolan movies was not a good detective. It's Joker POV, sure Batman won't be the best detective in Joker's eye.

Many Batman fans, who don't favour Joker as their all time Batman villain favour Batman Begins as the best of the 3 films.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-15-2021 at 11:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I just thought Tom Hardy was ridiculous as Bane. From the weird voice to the look he was just dumb. When you main villain comes off as a joke it hurts the whole movie. That and Nolans Batman was the broken cripple by the time Rises came out who relied more on his vehicles and gadgets and than actual fighting, and sure in the real world Batman would be a broken old cripple after a few years of fighting crime but that doesn't mean that is the Batman I want to see on screen.

I loved Begins and really liked the 2nd, but to me Rises will always just be a depressing bore in which Nolan leaned way to far into the real world side of things and forgot he was making a superhero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    and sure in the real world Batman would be a broken old cripple after a few years of fighting crime

Nolan leaned way to far into the real world side of things and forgot he was making a superhero movie.
    Which is it? Can't be both!

He's either a broken old cripple, or he made a fantasy recovery and kicked some ass he couldn't kick previously. It's all just fantasy. Begins was fantasy. TDK was fantasy. Just because it was "grounded" doesn't mean it wasn't a hyper reality.

And Bane ruled!
    Last edited by Joker; 01-15-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Batman Begins has been a lot of people favourites. movie is a better batman movie about the character and gotham.

The Dark knight is a Joker movie. It's told and thought out from Joker's POV. However I don't like how people don't see that when they use that against TDK to argue Batman in the Nolan movies was not a good detective. It's Joker POV, sure Batman won't be the best detective in Joker's eye.

Many Batman fans, who don't favour Joker as their all time Batman villain favour Batman Begins as the best of the 3 films.
    I like Joker and pretty much like Ledger's performance. It was a little off for me, though. Which could be because I see DKR as just another Batman movie, not the greatest Batman movie of all time or something like that. But yah, what you are saying is basically true for me. Second movie was way too much about Joker for a Batman movie, for me.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Boisterously Confused

I didn't hate it, but the adaptation of three of the characters sucked the wind out of it for me. The interpretation of both "Robin" and Talia were too far away from the source for me to like it at all. The reveal on Bane - whose interpretation up to the reveal I had been really digging - just snatched all my enjoyment out of every scene he'd played before.

I should point out that Anne Hathaway's Catwoman was my favorite character of the entire trilogy. Her turn from masquerading as a mousy caterer into a smooth femme fatale with no more than a shift in facial expression and body language hooked me completely. Her scene in the bar with the kidnapped politician was similar, shifting from dangerous criminal into panicking bystander, but nowhere nearly as powerful as the first because you just weren't ready for it.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It's a good movie, just not a great one. Seems pretty clear that Nolan was a little lost when Ledger died and couldn't adequately replace him.

Maybe it's because I've just never cared much for Bane that I loved him in the movie. I also love Hardy, and love the voice.

I hated the entire Knightfall saga, and Bane for his part in it, and no one has ever done anything with him that I've enjoyed. Granted, I've largely avoided him.

The movie's 3rd act was sloppy and messy. A lot of this comic book directors like Christopher Nolan who moslty did grounded comic book movies that used more drama than action, when they try to go big with their comic books, they struggle badly. I was so surprised how disjointed the third act was with scenes.

The Dark Knight Rises is Christian Bale's weakest performance playing Batman.

It was a passable finale. The best film was Batman Begins.
    Nolan went big in both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight- in the former, it was the train and the fear gas; the later had several big set pieces that built on top of one another.

That said, it was incredibly convenient that Bruce healed his broken back, escaped the pit, and made it back into Gotham- a city that had been sealed off from both the outside AND the inside- with about a day to spare. That was what I struggled with. But the action in the final fight was good, and I also teared up at the end.

I thought it had too many plot-holes when I first saw it. Later on, when watching on Blu-ray at home, I came to enjoy the way the film uses what I would term 'dream logic' and has a very dreamy feel to it. I don't think you can take the film literally, it's all like a huge dream-sequence. It reminds me of the Bond film 'Live and Let Die' with its surreal atmosphere and committed take on the fantasy setting.

I will at least forever praise The Dark Knight Rises for eventually giving us Harley Quinn's Bane.