Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default RESULTS X-Books voting 2020

Hi All,

Thank you to all those who have been voting for the CBR Forum X-Books Awards of 2020

The results will all follow in the coming days (though I might take a break in the weekend).

If you have any questions (for example how many votes did that and that get) just ask them in this thread.

Hope you like the results, it was a pleasure again do do this (for the 5th year) and am glad so many fans voted.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Thanks for all the time and effort, MoS!

Favorite Ongoing X-Title of the Year

These are the 3 end-all, be-all, best X-book shipping monthly for the calendar year.

Last year 6 new X-Books were lauched (of which 5 still excist) and in 2020 we were treaten by a few more series launches. Last year winner was X-Force, unfortunately this year that title did not get enough point to reach the top 3. The number 2 of last year now became runner-up. Two of the titles of the top 3 were new ongoings in 2020 and they well deserve to be there. Here is the Top 3 of the most popular

Number 1: Hellions.
    With 91 points
    17 number 1 votes

The Special forces team of the never-to-be-trusted Mister Sinister contains a strange band of anti heroes and former villains. Each with their strange and particular behaviors. The great weird adventures and the weird sence of humor pleases a lot of fans. Kwannon (aka Psylocke II) leads this band of weirdos, containing of Empath, Greycrow, Hellion, Nanny, Orphan Maker and Wild Child. Let us see what the new year has in store for them and see how nay time the backstab eachother.

Number 2: X-Men
    With 58 points
    8 times voted as #1

In 2019 this series was relaunched, but that year the title did not get voted in the top 3. Now that it is becoming clear this series is mostly revolved around the Summers family and had some strong moments, it was more appreciated in 2020. Now in the upcoming year they go of to space (which many X-Men fans love) and after that, we get to see who will be voted on the brand new X-Men. Looking forward to that.

Number 3: X-Factor
    With 48 points
    3 times voted as #1

X-Factor was one of the newly launched series of 2020. Not Polaris leads, but for the very first time Northstar gets to lead his very first X-team. Tasked with investigating the deaths of mutants, they work together with The Five to find out if a mutant died and v=can be resurrected. We saw some tragedy, namely the suicide of Wallflower. But alsio the awesome return of the New X-Men kids all together again. This squad of Northstar, Prestige, Polaris, EEueboy, Aurora, Daken and Eyeboy is a team probably no fan would have thought to combine, but lets be honest, it works.

Runner up: Marauders

Least Favorite Ongoing X-Title of the Year

Besides loving, we also dislike some of the ongoings that have been published in 2020. Like every year, some of the voters did not want to vote for least favorites, as they wanted to stay positive, I do like that positive attitude! Last years number one was Uncanny X-Men. While everybody wanted a comeback of the series, when it happened, many disliked it. Out of all the great ongoing X-books, these were the least liked:

Number 1: Excalibur
    With 88 points
    18 times voted #1

Poor Gambit and Rogue. Usually if the are in a series, themn it surely reaches the top 3 of most polu;lar series. But the writing of the relaunch of Excalibutr is the big bad here (and for some the art as well). It has the name Excalibur, but it does not feel like an Excalibur series. I think it might be missing X-men characyters from Great Brittain. What if the would bring in Chamber or Pixie for example. And why have Pete Wisdom, Meggan and Captain Avalon only as guest stars? I think with a team shake-up and a new creative team, this series might do way better in 2021.

Number 2: New Mutants
    With 38 points
    5 times voted #1

The titel started of great but nowadays the art went really bad I think. The Cosmar story gave me a massive headache, not only the story was to weird for it's own good, the art was doubling my aspirin usage. And then they do not contain golden oldies like Cannonball, Magma and Sunspot. I do applaud the mix of New Mutants and Young/New X-Men and use characters we rarely have seen, like they did with Wildside. But it could do with a new creative team. Or at least a new artist.

Number 3: Cable
    With 31 points
    4 times voted as number 1

What to say about this title, why do many not have it on their favorites list? I honestly do not know, as I personally have i as one of my favorites. Maybe it is because it was dragged into XoS to soon after it launched? Or is the fact that Kid-Cable replaced Old Man Cable and fans are still pissed off about that? I am curious though what is in store for this solo series though. As Cable is now also part of SWORD, I wonder what solo adventures he can have while working on a space station. Guess we will see. I am ready for it and hope others will start liking the tile as well.

Runner up: X-Force

Question: Are you interested in my comments when I publish the results, or do you guys do not care about that? If so, I just continue without them. Be honest.

Extraordinary Member

I'd say I'm interested in a bit of commentary, but I would ask that it be up to date. For instance, New Mutants has a new creative team and Rod Reis, the artist from the Hickman arc, is back, both as of December. So instead of saying 'it needs a new artist or creative team,' something like 'I hope things improve under the new creative team' would make more sense. Even an expression of disappointment with the new team not being enough of an improvement. Something that doesn't make it look like it's the same people now as it was in the summer.

Definitely looking forward to the discussion on the 'wth' moments.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-14-2021 at 08:12 AM.

MoS, thank you for all your time and effort!

Completely agree with #1 for Hellions as the best ongoing and Excalibur as the worst.
    Can`t wait for Gambit and Rogue to be saved from Excalibur.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 01-14-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Question: Are you interested in my comments when I publish the results, or do you guys do not care about that? If so, I just continue without them. Be honest.
    I like them and want to hear it. Please continue.

Up to you, but the comments give it a bit of context for people looking back at the thread in the future.

I'm disappointed my most hyped title in the relaunch turned into the most disappointing title. I think Excalibur deserves it's place.

In the opposite way same goes for Hellions, I knew Wells was a good writer but I underestimated his ability to make me care about a team that has so little favorites. Kwannon has been the break-out star this year IMO.

Also yes, thank you MoS! I also think the commentary does add context for people.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 01-14-2021 at 08:07 AM.

I think the comments are entertaining, specially for the least favorite categories lol.

Thank you for all of your hard work, Master of Sound.

I appreciate your commentary and enjoy reading it.

Now for some observations of my own. I was sorry to see Excalibur win Least Favorite Ongoing Title of the Year, and with such a wide margin. I was keeping track of the voting, so I knew that this was coming. It's just disappointing for me as it is one of my favorite X-Books.

Glad to see Hellions take number one. It's such a great comic, and I did not expect that when I first saw the roster for the comic when the cast was revealed.

Give your thoughts! You deserve it after all this work!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member

If I had to guess, Cable placed so low because Kid Cable gets a lot of hate. Can't comment on the quality of the book itself. The hate for the Ed Brisson issues of New Mutants is really strong considering how much people seemed to enjoy the Hickman issues, plus I thought the consensus was that people really liked Brisosn's last issue which focused on Doug and Ayala's first issue, though the latter was probably too late to make much of a difference since voting had already started by the time it came out. Exaclibur really deserves to be considered the worst, and in my opinion X-Force should have been #2 worst since it was consistently bad and still had lower points than the other worst series.

Hellions deserves to win best book even if it wasn't my choice. It was consistently fun which was desperately needed. X-men's high point was the issue focusing on Magneto fighting the invasion, but other than that it never did it for me. X-Factor gets points for being something unique that takes advantage of the Krakoa setting in a new way.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I appreciate the additional commentary, muchly. Carry on, good sir!
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!