Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    NM only got 17 points in most favorite and in the least favorites Excalibur won with a big points difference.
    What I meant was if New Mutants votes were based on most of the issues in 2020 which was written by Ed Brisson, more people would have voted it to be one of the 3 least favorites.

Unfortunately, Ayatal came in the last month of 2020 which changed the voting pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    I'm surprised X-Factor got into the top 3 and GS Nightcrawler to be least favorite.

GS Nightcrawler art is pretty good (at least for me), better than most of the other titles. It's just that people are complaining that it didn't focus on Nightcrawler and really should be retitled GS Cypher.
    Yeah, I think GS Nightcrawler was a decent story with Davis doing quite good work on art duties. But it wasn't really what it looked like on the tin, and fans respond badly to a bait-and-switch.

I'm not surprised that X-Factor placed highly. Fans have been clamoring for more information on the Resurrection Protocols since the concept turned up, and X-Factor is doing the kind of Krakoan world-building that readers were hoping to see in X-Men while following an idea for more than one issue at a time. Plus Williams keeps doing deep dives in the name of fanservice - Adam X, Wind Dancer/the Academy X kids, Siryn's Morrigan plotline - and readers seem to be responding well to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Question: Are you interested in my comments when I publish the results, or do you guys do not care about that? If so, I just continue without them. Be honest.
    Please, keep up the commentary!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I can't believe you heathens voted for a Mike Del Mundo cover for worst cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    It's ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I've always thought the aesthetic and critical tastes of some to be...questionable, to say the least.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah, I think GS Nightcrawler was a decent story with Davis doing quite good work on art duties. But it wasn't really what it looked like on the tin, and fans respond badly to a bait-and-switch.

I'm not surprised that X-Factor placed highly. Fans have been clamoring for more information on the Resurrection Protocols since the concept turned up, and X-Factor is doing the kind of Krakoan world-building that readers were hoping to see in X-Men while following an idea for more than one issue at a time. Plus Williams keeps doing deep dives in the name of fanservice - Adam X, Wind Dancer/the Academy X kids, Siryn's Morrigan plotline - and readers seem to be responding well to that.

Indeed. Had it been sold as GS Cypher or New Mutants, with Kurt guest-starring, it would have been much better received by the NC fans.
    There were some lovely pages in it.
    E78A47E1-EF42-40E9-BEFA-39BC29626549.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Indeed. Had it been sold as GS Cypher or New Mutants, with Kurt guest-starring, it would have been much better received by the NC fans.
    There were some lovely pages in it.
    Yes, exactly. I quite enjoyed it - Nightcrawler, Cypher, and Warlock are some of my favorites, and it was a treat to see Davis turned loose to have fun with what, iirc, was little more than a roster and some story beats. But it was billed as a Nightcrawler story, and I think a lot of readers were all the more disappointed by Kurt's diminished role given that he was one of the few well-known X-Man not on a steady team at that point.

It stresses me out that people can vote that way lmaoo

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Favorite X-Men Crossover/event
    Since a few years the crossovers and events. Because both contain major stories than impacted the X-universe in a big way, or at least wanted to do so. This year there were only a very few and the outcome will not surprise you at all! The follow-up on House of X/ Powers of X (winners of last year) did best and the one X-over we had as well.

Number 1: Dawn of X
    With 79 points
    15 X voted as #1

Number 2: X of Swords
    With 73 points
    12 X voted as #1

Number 3: Empyre
    With 20 points
    1 X voted as #1

It was obvious from the very first voters that between DoX and XoS would be a close call. Both have been received with a lot of positive responses, though we all did have our negative points to each of them as well. Dawn of X, is all about how the mutants are having their lives on Krakoa and XoS is the very first real threat to that existence. DoX gave us a few new series this year: Hellions, X-Factor, Cable and in the end SWORD and most of them got positive responses. Now we will enter Realm of X, no idea why they had to give the current era another title, as I do not (yet) see a difference. Well that is for 2021 voting I guess. But guess what there were also crossovers/events most people did not like. You: "Really....?"Me: "Yeah unbelievable, but true". You: "Oh, what were those?" Me: Continue to read this".

Least Favorite X-Men Event/ Crossover

It is funny that this year the events the X-Men were in as co-stars, did not become very popular. Well, one is still happening, so that might change over time. The number one will not surprise anyone as that event seemed to have no fans what so ever. I really hope we will have more event and crossovers to choose from in the upcoming year though. Even if it are just small events. One positive point being is that a lot of peeps voted in this category. Between number 1 and the others quite the gap due to votes/points. Numbers 2 and 3 only difference 1 point.

Number 1: X-Men/Fantastic Four
    With 46 points
    10 X voted as #1

Number 2: Empyre
    With 19 Points
    3 X votes as #1

Number 3: King in Black
    With 18 points
    3 X votes as #1
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Favorite X-Men Storyline from a Single Title
    There were some big or funny stories this year, that no one was expecting. The most exciting things happened in the Hellions series. Who would have expected this all to happen? No one, that is for sure. Marvel stepped up their X-Men game in 2019 and continued to do so in 2020. This year brought us some great stories again.

Number 1: Hellions in Arokko
    With 27 points
    4 X voted as #1

This was a fun read. Empath using Greygrow as his puppet, Nanny riding a horse, Sinister playing games to keep his cape, reading about the Hellions during X of Swords it was all LOL. And as desert we saw Sinister murder the whole F---ing team, Really? That was an unexpecting an shocking end!

Number 2: Bad is the new good (Hellions 1-4)
    With 24 points
    Twice voted as #1

Before X of Swords, we saw Mister Sinister gathering his team of dangerous, unstable members: Kwannon, Havok, Empath, Wild Child, Orphan Maker, Greycrow and Nanny first adventure was a battle against the Goblin Queen who stole some original Marauders clones (though she somehow did not get her hands on any Vertigo clones. It was a great story Especially the moments between Arclight and Creycrow and the horrific and still sad dialogue between Madelyne and Havok. Good laughs were also included, like Nanny being scrambled by Scrambler and the quick end of Empath.

Number 3: Mutants are Forever
    With 21 points
    3 X voted as #1

The beginning of the latest volume of the X-Men. We saw the Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine, Vulcan, Sway, Petra, Magneto in various adventures, we basically saw the first era of Krakoa, new promises, new threats arise. We saw the rebirth of many mutants and a way mutants could sacrifice themselves to gain their powers back and an angry Mystique, yes Mutants are Forever!. The X-Men title will now tell a cosmic tail and then, then we finally get a new core X-Men team. So I expect some of their stories told ending in the top 3 of this year.

Least Favorite X-Men Storyline from a Single Title
    The X-Men have very powerful members, who can do amazing things. However it does take good stories to show just how powerful and awesome these characters are. Unfortunately there are stories written that do not give us what we need. Here are some of the least favorites of this board.

Number 1: The Secret of Rogue’s Coffin
    With 32 points
    5 X voted as #1

One year you give Gambit and Rogue finally the focus they deserved, a mini series, a marriage and a (short) ongoing, They became the two favorite heroes of 2019, their marriage was one og the highlights and they were voted couple of the year. So what do you then do? Well the X-office did put them in the backseat. Say what...? They created Excalibur and give Mr. and Mrs. X a new title: Mr. and Mrs. background filler. Heck, in the first arc Rogue is in a come, really? Nope, this was not cool, not cool at all.

Number 2: Huntsmen and Warwolves
    With 31 points
    2 X voted as #1

Another Excalibur story voted in the least favorites top 3 (with one point difference). Another weak tale that basically is another solo story for Betsy. As extra support we get Prestige into the story, who becomes a background character o Betsy as well. To make up for it she gets a ridiculous pet, a baby warwolf and due to lack of inspiration we name him Amazing Baby, OMG LMAO, really guys, really?

Number 3: Searching for Apoth
    With 30 points
    3 X voted as #1

Fallen Angels, the ongoing which became a mini series. The story told about Apoth, the nemesis of Kwannon was not only boring, the art was terrible as well and the brand new villain they created was not impressive at all. Reason for this fight was for Kwannon to get het daughter back and guess what, we still have no idea where she is. Even in Hellions this has been touched upon, but still no clue. Let us hope this gets resolved in 2021 somehow. Glad to see the cast each have found a better series to star.

Extraordinary Member

It's pretty surprising to me that the Carnelia storyline in New Mutants didn't place highly on the 'worst storylines' list considering it's the reason New Mutants was on the 'least favorite ongoing' list. People really, really hated that story. But I guess Exaclibur is just that bad,

Favorite Writer of 2020
    Good writing makes the reader feel richer when reading, the writer should be giving you the same feeling as you feel after a great dinner prepared bty a great chef or good ... with and awesome partner.. Good writing makes the reader want to read more of it. A good writer part make us anxious and impatient for the next issue to come out. And don't we all love a great cliffhanger! Some of the writers really understood their job and brought us unexpected developments, great character developments and made our heart tick faster or melt. These are the writers we want to keep at the X-office! Fun face is that lasyt year the one that brought us the biggest changes, was most loved and the numbers 2 and 3 both launched new series. Well this year again the one that brought the most changes was voted number one and again two writers whoi (re)launched new series became number 2 and 3. Let's all hope they will continue to bring us these great stories in 2021. Runner up is Benjamin Percy for his work on X-Force and Wolverine.

Number 1: Jonathan Hickman
    With 77 points
    13 X voted as #1

His biggest achievement this year was keeping the X-books still great. Dawn of X was handled in a great way and X of Swords was (except for the middle part) a good X-over. He wrote the core title of the X-Men and answered some outstanding questions regarding Vulcan. He gave us more insight on what's going on with Mystique and the role the counsel plays on Krakoa. This is the second year JH was voted on the number 1 position. Keep up the great work Jonathan!

Number 2: Zeb Wells
    With 73 points
    12 X voted as #1

A close second is Zeb Wells. Not strange if you wrote Hellions, the most popular ongoing series of the year. Once he wrote an awesome volume of New Mutants as well (way back in 2009), so let us hope Marvel keeps him with the X-Office longer this time as what he is currently bringing is just awesome.

Number 3: Leah Williams
    With 47 points
    4 X voted as #1

A nice 3rd place for the woman who brought uis X-Factor, another well appreciated new launched x-book of 2020 and co-writer of the Empyre X-Men mini series. Last year she brought us the mediocore mini series X-Tremists, so she is stepping up her game. She does do a good job in shining light on the investigations team and The Five and she brought back Wallflower and more New X-Men characters. So we love her now. Leah, hold on to that and continue to make us happy.

Least Favorite Writer of 2020
    Sometimes you read a X-Men story and wonder if the writer really loves their job and seriously doubt if they feel any connection to the X-Universe. Because some write stories so badly, that we would be better off if these stories were never written. We also learned that trying to bring back successes from the past does not guarantee success today. Fun fact is that the top 3 least favorite writers of 2019 were all taken of the X-books: Matthew Rosenberg (Uncanny), Rob Liefeld (Major X) and Tim Seeley (Apocalypse & the X-Tracts). Let us see what happens with these in 2021.

Number 1:Tini Howard
    With 80 points
    16 X voted as #1

With great distance from the other two, this is the number 1 by far. Tini should have learned from the past; If you launch a team book, but is actually revolves around one character (see Kitty in Gold), the fans of the characters you use as wallpaper, will dislike you a lot. Given Tini took the two most popular characters of 2019 (Mr. & Mrs. X) and used them poorly and on top of that use the name Excalibur but it should have been Betsy and her Besties. Tini, you're still on this series, time to step up your game.

Number 2: Ed Brisson
    With 41 points
    3 X voted as #1

New Mutants had great and not so great writers and artists in the past. Jonathan Hickman started the 4th volume of New Mutants with cool stories and a nice team. The parts Ed brought us were not impressive at all and I actually feared that the title would be canceled. Stories like the very weird Parasomnia and the end of Roma Nova, no Ed, that was not a cool thing to do. Thanks to the X-Office, Brissom was taken of the title and now it was given to writer Vita Ayala and it seems to be improving (though I hate the art of Rob Reis), let's see what the title does in 2020.

Number 3: Bryan Edward Hill
    With 37 points
    Twice voted as #1

The writer of the failed "ongoing-which-became-mini-series" Fallen Angels. The only title launched in Dawn of X that was hated from issue 1. It did not help the poor writing that is was accompanied with the terrible art of Szymon Kudranski (more on him later!), but Apoth was a terrible new villain and the story missed depth and urgency. Currently Bryan has not any comic books series under his pen, so he will not bother us again any day soon.