Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

My congrats to Tini for winning Least Favorite Writer, Least Favorite ongoing and 2 Least Favorite X-Men Storylines!

If Hickman would saw that then he would push her even more just to annoy fans.

Extraordinary Member

It wasn't just that Excalibur had so much focus on Betsy to the detriment of other characters. She was also written horribly. I wasn't reading Excalibur at all until X of Swords, but my god was that issue where Betsy got her sword pure trash and made me dislike Betsy. At least Doug's wedding was cute.

Brisson I feel would have faired much better if he had shortened the Carnelia storyline to 2 issues at the most. The problem was the threat the characters faced did not justify all the panel space it got or the sheer number of characters who had to get involved. The result was that it made most of them look incompetent. His final 2 issues in resolving the DOX storyline and Doug's training in X of Swords were much better and show he can write well if he he tells a concise 1-issue story with a tight focus, though the killing off of Nova Roma is still a big 'what the hell' moment that should never have been allowed by editorial especially since he was being taken off the book. Also, I'm still impressed that he got me to give a darn about Glob when he described his backstory.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

Brisson I feel would have faired much better if he had shortened the Carnelia storyline to 2 issues at the most. The problem was the threat the characters faced did not justify all the panel space it got or the sheer number of characters who had to get involved. The result was that it made most of them look incompetent. His final 2 issues in resolving the DOX storyline and Doug's training in X of Swords were much better and show he can write well if he he tells a concise 1-issue story with a tight focus, though the killing off of Nova Roma is still a big 'what the hell' moment that should never have been allowed by editorial especially since he was being taken off the book. Also, I'm still impressed that he got me to give a darn about Glob when he described his backstory.
    It is not just the Carnelia story but every other stories except for the Sword of X issue. And his obsession with Glob irks many people off. The Sword of X issue was the only issue that is average and above.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Indeed. Had it been sold as GS Cypher or New Mutants, with Kurt guest-starring, it would have been much better received by the NC fans.
    There were some lovely pages in it.
    Attachment 104948
    Exactly, I voted GS Nightcrawler as one of my top 3 favorites because I didn't really care about the title. I like the story, the characters and the art. Yeah, it should have been revealed as GS Cypher, with only 3 New Mutants in that issue, it hardly qualifys as GS New Mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It wasn't just that Excalibur had so much focus on Betsy to the detriment of other characters. She was also written horribly. I wasn't reading Excalibur at all until X of Swords, but my god was that issue where Betsy got her sword pure trash and made me dislike Betsy. At least Doug's wedding was cute.

True, Marauders is almost as bad with it's character focus (though Duggan tries a bit more with certain characters) but it's not as heavily criticized because his writing is at least tolerable. Tini has nice ideas but the concepts are executed badly in the comic. I really hope both writers change this year but I don't have a lot of hope...
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 01-19-2021 at 02:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Favorite Artist of 2020
    Anyone who creates art has the right to call themselves an artist. Though great artists turn their energy into creating something beautiful. They use that energy to fuel their creativity and make work that resonates with others. Anyone can be an artist, but you can recognize a great artist by how their work makes others feel. Now we have had some awesome art presented to us this year. Just think of the Lord of the Rings feel in the first issue of X of Swords, the dreamy art in Giant Size Storm, por the rebirt page of Wind Dancer in X-Factor. The scenes became so much stringer because they had a great artist.

Number 1: Pepe Larraz
    With 102 point(!)
    22 X voted as #1(!)

Wow just look at the scores Pepe received this year. He was the winner of this category last year as well for his work on House of X and this year another X-over for him to co-create and we just loved it. The apocalyptical art in X of Sword was just giving us positive thrills and made the horrific atmosphere of Arokko felt. He created all the Swordsmen of Arokko and the new characters of Otherworld as well and let's be honest, not all of these will become our favorites, but they all look astonishing. Well deserved.

Number 2: Rod Reis
    With 30 points
    Twice voted as #1

Rod Reis has a certain style you either love or hate, but one thing for sure, he knows how to create an atmosphere with his art. I must admit I think his style fitted great with Giant Size Fantomex in a way he made us feel The World is a strange pace to be. On New Mutants I like him less, as to me, some scenes are messy. Still, there is enough love for him left.

Number 3: Russell Dauterman
    With 26 points
    Twice voted as #1

Russell gave us some great Marauders covers in 2020, but his greatest work was of course on Giant Size Jean Grey & Emma Frost as well as Giant Size Storm. Doesn't this guy know how to draw women, or what? The atmosphere he is able to create is something not comparable to any other artist of the X-office. Hope we get to see more of his work in 2021.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-20-2021 at 06:50 AM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Least favorite Artist of 2020
    Just because you are an artist, doesn't mean you are a good artist. Anyone can make art, but not everyone can make you feel something positive when viewing their art and these artists did not make us happy this year. We want to relate to characters and their stories, but some artist make it very hard for us to do so. Sorry to say, but these were the artists we did not have much love for in 2020. We got rid of last years winner though: Rob Liefeld and this years winner seems to be headed the same direction. So that good news, right?

Number 1: Szymon Kudranski
    with 33 points
    1 X voted as #1

As you can see at the scores, opinions on the Least Favorite artist were more divided than some other categories. Szymon Kudranski has given us the art of the failed series of Fallen Angels. His aret is unclear, messy and sometimes you can not even see what was happening in some panels. I don't wanna be bitchy, but how on earth did they hire this so called artist. I have seen prople on this board delivering way better work. So glad Kudranski is gone and X-Office, take a look here on the X-forum if you need a good artist, we have enough here.

Number 2: Flaviano
    With 26 points
    2 X voted as #1

Now this one is hard for me to talk about, as I do not love, but also not hate the art of Flaviano. Actually I rather see him compared to Rod Reis. But if I look at the issues with the Cosmar story, I kindo understand, maybe it is just a but toe weird for some, or to cartoonish. To those who votesd for Flaviano, feel free to fill in the gaps.

Number 3: Terry Dodson
    With 22 points
    3 X voted as #1

The story of X-Men/ FF was not that great to start with, but the art also did not really help improving it. Terry has a certain style which I never liked as well and it is hard to say exactly way. It just seems the characters do not come of the paper if you understand what I mean by that. They don't come to life somehow. Also if you draw a face oif Emma and Sue and they look almost the same, a reader has to look at the clothes to know who it actually is, yeah, then you just miss that little extra we hope for.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-19-2021 at 04:12 AM.

Favorite Hero/Heroine
    We have a lot of favorites polls on this board, almost each week someone will post one and we know what characters are love. But every year some stand out a bit more than others. Some got some great focus, made an awesome development or were brought back to us in an awesome way. So who were the ones that became our favorites this year?

Number 1: CYCLOPS
    With 35 points
    5 times voted as #1

Funny thing how things can go. Cyclops was always the best student ever and we hated him for it. In fact for years he was voted a lot for in the least favorites. But the more recent years he stood up as a coach, a family man, a general and most of all, a great leader. Last year Scott Summers was also voted as your number one. Lets hope he continues to be this way when he leads a brand new X-Men team mid 2021.

Number 2: APOCALYPSE
    With 33 points
    6 X voted as #1

Before Krakoa happened, would anyone ever had guessed that Apocalypse, or ▪︎-|A|-▪︎, would be voted in as some peeps favorite hero. Well En Sabah Nur might have been a terrible mistake in the movies, making him a hero during Dawn of X paid out well. Apocalypse created the "Crucible", so depowered mutants could be reborn with their powers back and his well played prominent role in X of Swords, make him well worthy to be in this top 3.

Number 3: GAMBIT
    With 32 points
    6 X voted as #1

Now this is remarkable to say the least. Gambit barely played any role in 2020, besides being wallpaper in Excalibur. Maybe I should retitle this category? No idea how though. Anyways, Remi is of course a very likable character and deserbes to be high ranked for any character voting. But honestly, of all the great character moments of several heroes in 2020, I do not think he should have been in here this year.

Least Favorite Hero/Heroine
    You have heroes who were once favorites, but were written in such a way that we lost the love for them and others, we just never cared for at all. There are those who deserve a break. Some of them were pushed so hard down our troths that we just could not swallow it anymore.

Number 1: BEAST
    With 48 points
    8 X voted as #1

This year once more Hank McCoy proves he cannot be trusted. Last year he was barely seen, but before that he was in the top 3 quite frequently. He again is doing things that a hero should not be doing and even treating his long time colleague like a criminal, dis not do him any good. So when the heck did he cross the line more than enough, where do the X-men draw the line?

Number 2: GLOB HERMAN
    With 38 points
    2 X voted as #1

Poor Glob, he has been in this top 3 year after year (same as Kid Omega, though Quintin did not make the top 3 this year). They even gave him some strong moments with Magik this year, but that did not matter, people still rather do not see the walking talking pink pudding anymore. The biggest reason seems to be he basically was given the role of Santo years ago and was pushed and pushed so hard, we hated him for it and we do not seem to forgive quickly. We would not have minded if he, instead of Rockslide was killed in Otherworld. Though.... maybe not, as Rocky came back as a different Rocky.

Number 3: KID CABLE
    With 29 points
    3 X voted as #1

Somehow many of us just do not accept alternative versions of known heroes, except for Blink. The Teen X-Men who were brought back were all hated while they were here. Old Man Logan was disliked and now this younger version of Nathan is not embraced as well. He killed his older version, correct, but this year we found out Old Man Cable knew this and was okay with it. I hated him at first, but honestly, I came to like young Cable, as now we see more of the son and brother role of Nathan. Who knows the new series of SWORD might raise his popularity.

Extraordinary Member

These categories I think really show the affect of biases I think. Cyclops, Apocalypse, and Beast earned their spots through their actions over the year, but Gambit might as well have not appeared at all and I feel that Glob and Kid Cable were voted for daring to exist rather than any particular problems with their appearances in 2020. Kid Cable I guess is understandable since his hated origin is so recent. In 2020 there were plenty of characters who were so much worse than those 2 and a bazillion characters who were better than poor Gambit while he was off being wallpaper in Excalibur.

This shows the issues which should pop up in-universe when Krakoans start voting for who should be on the X-Men.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-19-2021 at 06:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

I think Gambit getting in the list is precisely a fan reaction due to him being useless in Excalibur.

Glob Herman and Kid Cable are characters being shoved down people's throats despite the fans clearly indicating their dislike. Coincidentally or not, Ed Brisson is heavily involved in the two cases.

Its gonna be very interesting to see the 2021 results.

Hickman will tell TH to just keeping trucking along.

He doesn't care about what fans like or dislike. He just does him.

I really wanna see the sales of all the titles now though.

Favorite Villain or Villain Team of 2020
    What is a good story without a great threat? Those threats mostly come from villains and OMG, some villains were written in a great way. Last year we had villains like Nimrod, Omega Sentinel and Orchis, thanks to HoX and PoX. None of them returned this year, butt their danger is not gone yet, no way. This year, we were introduced to a lot of characters from Arokko and most of those can be considered villains and received quite some votes. However that doesn't mean the more classic villains were left out.

Number 1: MISTER SINISTER
    With 44 points
    9 X voted as #1

We have known Essex as a villain since the 80s and he keeps coming back. Though in all those years, he never ended up in the top 3 of favorite villains. There was a time when he got boring, but even I must admit, since Dawn of X, he is awesome and cruel as never before. Killing his own team, really??? Also, think about the hilarious scenes where he cared more for his cape than anything else, fantastic. If they continue to write him like this, I am pretty sure he will be in the top 3 of 2021 as well.

Number 2: WHITE SWORD
    With 28 points
    Twice voted as #1

With all the other Swordsmen of Arokko, Genesis, Annihilation, and the first Horsemen, he had a lot of competition, but of the newly introduced villains, he became the most favorite one of all. Some of these new villains did not get any development, but he did. What I like about him, is that he seems to be a man of honor, the way he helped Cypher when poisoned and then on the other hand how he fought Gorgon and finally decided to abandon the rest as he did no longer believe in their goals, made him a very interesting villain. Hope we will see more of him soon.

Number 3: SATURNYNE
    With 24 points
    3 X voted as #1

Like White Sword and Mr. Sinister, this is the very first time she was voted into the top 3. Previously only a Excalibur villain, of who most of us completely forgot about, since we did not see for more than a decade. Now completed with massive, unexplained powers, the is the ruler of Otherworld and came up with the idea of X of Swords. We can without a doubt say she was the big villain of 2020. She did not get out of it what she wanted, so something tells me, we will be seeing her again soon.

Least Favorite Villain/ Villain Teams of 2020
    For every well written, or popular villain, there s one we do not like as such, in fact, some we simply hate to the core (just wanted to sound a bit dramatic today). Last year former hero Nate Grey made it to this list, pore Nate. This year we see a return to the top 3 and two rather new ones. Fun fact is that none of the First Horsemen or Sword Bearers of Arokko made the list, so these must have been well created new villains.

Number 1: HOMINES VERENDI
    With 33 points
    5 X voted as #1

Introduced years ago as the main nemesis of Wolverine and the X-Men school, formerly know as the Hellfire Brats, ehhh Hellfire Kids, Kade, Max, Wilhelmina and Manuel, stripped from their Hellfire titles, now became focused on Madripoor and their underworld. But a new goal, team title and writer all did made any difference to to their popularity, or rather lack of it. We already saw another glimpse of them in 2021, so I count on it they will still be in the top 3 of this year as well.

Number 2: HORDECULTURE
    With 25 points
    4 X voted as #1

The Golden Girls are back and they are now X-Men villains. When they were introduced in 2019, they were actually loved by many. Mostly due to the fact that they are grannies with strong language. But that is basically all they are. They did not get any depth in 2020 and only used as a failed comic relief. Now it is time for these golden oldies to retire, bye bye.

Number 3: APOTH
    With 21 points
    4 X voted as #1

I don't think y=this entry is any surprise, as the series he appeared in and his creators were all voted into the Least categories of their area as well. Fallen Angels was just bad all the way and Apoth just never came to life somehow. His reasons for hating Kwannon did not become clear and bla bla bla, do not wanna waste any more time on this booooring dude.

Mighty Member

I didn't expect Rod Reis and Russell Dauterman to be in the top 3 artists as I felt their art is just average and there are much better artists than them. I agree on Pepe Larraz ranking though.

Master of Sound please note: It is Rod Reis and NOT Ron Reis