Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm excited for this. I'm a big Damian fan. I liked Rebirth Teen Titans a lot for the first author's run. After that it dwindled to uninteresting, but I feel like fresh runs often do that so I try not to hold it against a monthly. You know, first the hot artist moves on. Then the writer tries to wrap it up best they can after having had a crossover derail their plot outline. New writer comes in and carries over at least two to three beats that are mostly closed plots but have enough steam to make it feel like a consistent continuation of run but then immediately proceed to waste an interesting story as their opening act and have boilerplate vanilla uninteresting stuff that runs for about 20 issues too long before the inevitable cancel and refresh. (Plus his reunion issues with Dick in Seeley's Nightwing, the Deathstroke paternity battle, his good showing in Robin War, his Divergence-period Son of Batman comic where we met Nobody and Slade (that continued strong while Gleason was running the show but similarly dwindled - was still decent though), about 90% of the Tomasi stuff, about 95% of the Brightest Day era stuff, and obviously the Morrison run. Loved him in Steph-Batgirl. Good characterization in the overly okay J.T. Krul Teen Titans. I'm a surprising stan for "Hunt for / Robin Rises". I think he's at least been pretty consistent right up to this point.

The gray costume really appeals to me. I'm stoked on the news that Damian will be the first fashionable Robin with myriad costumes for different occasions - I really am, that's a fine character trait for someone who is the child of TALIA (rich, and never the same outfit twice) and Batman (they're guaranteed to be functional). But the gray costume reminds me of the original Batman & Robin Quitely concept art where there was a gray Robin costume that homaged the Earth-2 (Gray Robin Dick Grayson Costume) and the Batman II & Robin Jr. "What If?" Alfred Fantasies.

Just thinking costumes, he's got the assassin onesie ... the half-Robin with assassin tights under ... the Resurrection crossover costume ... the Quitely costume right up through New 52 ... the Redwing costume ... the Rebirth "Very Al Ghul" costume ... the recent Gray Ninja costume, and then whatever comes next. Fair amount of changes for a 15 year old character but ostensibly only "two" Robin costumes to date.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 01-20-2021 at 01:28 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member

[QUOTE=K. Jones;5337029]I'm excited for this. I'm a big Damian fan. I liked Rebirth Teen Titans a lot for the first author's run. After that it dwindled to uninteresting, but I feel like fresh runs often do that so I try not to hold it against a monthly. You know, first the hot artist moves on. Then the writer tries to wrap it up best they can after having had a crossover derail their plot outline. New writer comes in and carries over at least two to three beats that are mostly closed plots but have enough steam to make it feel like a consistent continuation of run but then immediately proceed to waste an interesting story as their opening act and have boilerplate vanilla uninteresting stuff that runs for about 20 issues too long before the inevitable cancel and refresh. (Plus his reunion issues with Dick in Seeley's Nightwing, the Deathstroke paternity battle, his good showing in Robin War, his Divergence-period Son of Batman comic where we met Nobody and Slade (that continued strong while Gleason was running the show but similarly dwindled - was still decent though), about 90% of the Tomasi stuff, about 95% of the Brightest Day era stuff, and obviously the Morrison run. Loved him in Steph-Batgirl. Good characterization in the overly okay J.T. Krul Teen Titans. I'm a surprising stan for "Hunt for / Robin Rises". I think he's at least been pretty consistent right up to this point.

The gray costume really appeals to me. I'm stoked on the news that Damian will be the first fashionable Robin with myriad costumes for different occasions - I really am, that's a fine character trait for someone who is the child of TALIA (rich, and never the same outfit twice) and Batman (they're guaranteed to be functional). But the gray costume reminds me of the original Batman & Robin Quitely concept art where there was a gray Robin costume that homaged the Earth-2 (Gray Robin Dick Grayson Costume) and the Batman II & Robin Jr. "What If?" Alfred Fantasies.

Just thinking costumes, he's got the assassin onesie ... the half-Robin with assassin tights under ... the Resurrection crossover costume ... the Quitely costume right up through New 52 ... the Redwing costume ... the Rebirth "Very Al Ghul" costume ... the recent Gray Ninja costume, and then whatever comes next. Fair amount of changes for a 15 year old character but ostensibly only "two" Robin costumes to date.[/he is a fashion icon

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Costume remind anyone else of this?

That's what I was thinking! Really cool.

This series just keeps sounding better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This series just keeps sounding better and better.
    Damn right.
    I'm hyped for this.

I think it was Tynion who introduced the League of Shadows along with the League of Assassins?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it was Tynion who introduced the League of Shadows along with the League of Assassins?
    Shiva's League until the Batfam and Ra's stopped her

She's very excited that he's finally coming home. She's still Talia, so it's not hugs and high-fives but her talking to him to see what his next role is going to be and Damian having to make a decision is what those two back-ups are about.
    "Him kicking a lot of ass. It's going to be cool. It's going to be a big, mythology-building story for him, really placing him in this cool, emotional evolution for the character and trying to bring him. He was sort of going on the path of a villain and one of the big goals for me was to really swing him back around to being the hero and dealing with his family."
    Yes. Yes! YES!

This guy gets it! Oh I am SO pumped for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yes. Yes! YES!

This guy gets it! Oh I am SO pumped for this!
    I'm glad Williamson keeps emphazising that his goal is it to make Damian return to being a hero.
    Teen Titans did a lot of damage to the character and I'm tired of DC trying to bait us with the threat that they might turn Damian into a villain.
    I'm hoping DC's plans for Talia are good too. She was a better character before Morrison turned her into another mustache twirling villain and it's time DC returned her to her better characterization.

There is nothing wrong with Batman having at least one relevant female villain.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Batman having at least one relevant female villain.
    Then how about using the ones who were created to be villains and not the one who was primarily a love interest and was only turned into a fullblown villain to follow a racist trope?

The book is certainly becoming more interesting and Damian is a character I have become fond of lately. I hope Williamson doesn't disappoint.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I'm glad Williamson keeps emphazising that his goal is it to make Damian return to being a hero.
    Teen Titans did a lot of damage to the character and I'm tired of DC trying to bait us with the threat that they might turn Damian into a villain.
    I'm hoping DC's plans for Talia are good too. She was a better character before Morrison turned her into another mustache twirling villain and it's time DC returned her to her better characterization.
    I'm really tired of DC pretending that he was becoming a villain in TT. He didn't. He was actually doing what a good hero should do, upsetting the status quo and trying to really change thing, instead of pretending that the society we live in isn't inherently flawed and corrupt and the source of almost all our problems.

Honestly, the more I read about this upcoming series, the sadder I am for Damian. He'll be flanderized and won't ever be really interesting again. The emphasis on him and kid Jon friendship is also unhelpful and will keep to hurt the character for the foreseeable future. Better he had stayed dead than be turned into whatever DC is trying to make him become now.