Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Robin by Williamson and Melnikov Announced

After learning of the deadly League of Lazarus tournament, Damian Wayne has a new mission: to win the tournament and prove he is the greatest fighter in the DC Universe! But first he must find the secret island where the tournament is being held!
    Last edited by Hypo; 01-14-2021 at 07:08 AM.

That cover has Nite-Wing, Lady Vic and Tigress. Not really a fan of this new costume.
    Also, don't particularly enjoy Deathstroke being in this.

Urgh. Robin, again ?

Damian's officialy became one of the worthless characters ever.

Plus this suit is absolutely ugly... A dowgrade even to his former Robin suit in so many ways...
    Last edited by Korath; 01-14-2021 at 07:16 AM.

I wish they would have stayed with the promo costume or Tomasi's Tec costume but I guess they had to make it more Robin looking. Shame.
    Interesting villain choices.

That costume is awful. Nice to see Tad and Lady Vic in action, but this'll be a pass for me.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

The creative team is pretty good but that costume is terrible.
    It's the worst Damian design by far. So busy and ugly.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I kinda like the new costume. More than the one shown on Bat’s Infinite frontier spread at least.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    That costume is awful. Nice to see Tad and Lady Vic in action, but this'll be a pass for me.
    I'm really not into characters getting hand-me-down villains instead of having their own developed for them. Also, I feel like Tad should have been a kind of one-off, anyway. Too much a loser to be an on-going. Vic, though, is certainly worth re-using.

After learning of the deadly League of Lazarus tournament, Damian Wayne has a new mission: to win the tournament and prove he is the greatest fighter in the DC Universe! But first he must find the secret island where the tournament is being held!
    Not a concept I'm into. Doesn't indicate Damian is the place I want him to be in in this series (which isn't shocking given the past year's events). Mortal Kombat, but with vastly lower stakes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Urgh. Robin, again ?

Damian's officialy became one of the worthless characters ever.

Plus this suit is absolutely ugly... A dowgrade even to his former Robin suit in so many ways...
    They wouldn't resurrect him if DC thought he was worthless.

That costume is terrible. Quite possibly beating out New 52 Dick's and current Tim's for the worst ever. And I still don't like them tying Damian to Deathstroke when that really should be more of a Dick/Titans thing that I saw promise of in Future State. But Williamson is a solid writer and that artist looks like an awesome fit.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Yes, he is worthless now.

There was no worst outcome than making him Robin again, because it takes the moment that poor boy finally decides to take his life into his own hands, ditching his father's control like he had his mother's long ago, to finally carve his own place in the world, and turns it into "Damian's an immature little brat".

It is now impossible to take anything he does or says seriously, because we know the length he can go to to throw a fit and nonetheless return to the very thing he said he never wanted again.

You don't get out of Batman's shadow by calling yourself Robin. You don't get out of Batman's shadow after having tore down the R from your chest only to put it back a few weeks later "but in red so it's totally different".

You don't get out of Batman's shadow by going to a tournament or whatever and saying, "Hi, i'm Robin, you know, the second half of the Dynamic Duo, Batman and Robin!"

It's just terrible and it ruins a fantastic character, one of my all time favs in DC comics' stable.

Of course, it already started with Jon, the way he was turned into a pathetic joke of himself in all the versions of Supersons which exist and then relied on some external person to be his moral compass. But at least in Teen Titans he was still Damian, he still did what HE deemed best to make the world better, even if it was meant to blow in his face.

he made mistakes, it hurt him bad but he never wavered from his belief that he could make the world better, and that his father's way had failed.

And he owned it, to his father. He told Batman that he was done with being his toy like he had been his mother's.

And now he gleefully get back at it. And I'm willing to bet that his motivation will be "I'll show Dad I'm the best Robin ever" or some other terrible idea like that.

That's just infuriating and saddening to me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yes, he is worthless now.

There was no worst outcome than making him Robin again, because it takes the moment that poor boy finally decides to take his life into his own hands, ditching his father's control like he had his mother's long ago, to finally carve his own place in the world, and turns it into "Damian's an immature little brat".

It is now impossible to take anything he does or says seriously, because we know the length he can go to to throw a fit and nonetheless return to the very thing he said he never wanted again.

You don't get out of Batman's shadow by calling yourself Robin. You don't get out of Batman's shadow after having tore down the R from your chest only to put it back a few weeks later "but in red so it's totally different".

You don't get out of Batman's shadow by going to a tournament or whatever and saying, "Hi, i'm Robin, you know, the second half of the Dynamic Duo, Batman and Robin!"

It's just terrible and it ruins a fantastic character, one of my all time favs in DC comics' stable.

Of course, it already started with Jon, the way he was turned into a pathetic joke of himself in all the versions of Supersons which exist and then relied on some external person to be his moral compass. But at least in Teen Titans he was still Damian, he still did what HE deemed best to make the world better, even if it was meant to blow in his face.

he made mistakes, it hurt him bad but he never wavered from his belief that he could make the world better, and that his father's way had failed.

And he owned it, to his father. He told Batman that he was done with being his toy like he had been his mother's.

And now he gleefully get back at it. And I'm willing to bet that his motivation will be "I'll show Dad I'm the best Robin ever" or some other terrible idea like that.

That's just infuriating and saddening to me.
    He is worthless to you and in that case bye
    MK Robin gonna be a blast

I like this. The new costume os going to take some getting used to and where is the hood. DC has this pattern of messing up even their good ideas

So Damian going to fighting tournament on an island. Mortal Kombat, much?

I fucking love this. Williamson is a writer I trust so even if Damian hadn't gone back to being Robin, I think he would have been okay. But I'm glad that ended up not being the case. The kid's always been pretty independent anyway but I still think he's got some growing up to do (not just physically) before he's really ready to give up the mantle.

Not too psyched to see Deathstroke playing a part but, given the premise, I suppose it makes sense. Honestly, I'm more excited to see that Rose is gonna be there. She and Damian were good together back in Johns' Teen Titans run.

As for the costume, I love that too. Up until this point I always thought Tim was the one who got the best Robin costumes. But this blows all of his out of the water.

to win the tournament and prove he is the greatest fighter in the DC Universe!
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh kid, I love you. Love the confidence. But there are a few fighters who I'm pretty sure you're not winning against. And they probably won't even be in this tournament. In fact...Didn't you have some recent losses to both Jason and Flashpoint Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    He is worthless to you and in that case bye
    MK Robin gonna be a blast
    Eh. I can't even be mad. I know the pain of having a character you love being taken in a direction that you absolutely hate. As a Jon fan, dude has my sympathy.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    He's worthless on his own. He's 11-12 years old. Nothing will come of this solo, because nothing can. It would be ridiculous if he won, given his previous feats.