Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm really tired of DC pretending that he was becoming a villain in TT. He didn't. He was actually doing what a good hero should do, upsetting the status quo and trying to really change thing, instead of pretending that the society we live in isn't inherently flawed and corrupt and the source of almost all our problems.

Honestly, the more I read about this upcoming series, the sadder I am for Damian. He'll be flanderized and won't ever be really interesting again. The emphasis on him and kid Jon friendship is also unhelpful and will keep to hurt the character for the foreseeable future. Better he had stayed dead than be turned into whatever DC is trying to make him become now.
    Damian wasn't upsetting the status quo. If anything, he was perpetuating it. Unless you think brainwashing and abduction are things any hero would do.

Astonishing Member

I'm really tired of DC pretending that he was becoming a villain in TT. He didn't.
    It's time to get used to it, given that most people have an opposite opinion.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

I'm really tired of DC pretending that he was becoming a villain in TT. He didn't. He was actually doing what a good hero should do, upsetting the status quo and trying to really change thing, instead of pretending that the society we live in isn't inherently flawed and corrupt and the source of almost all our problems.
    I mean, quite sure Damian's role on TT is the antagonist on the team, with him getting hammered repeatedly by everyone like "YOU.HAVE.DONE.EVERYTHING.WRONG!" on practically every arcs and readers are supposed to agree with them. I myself quite enjoyed story about Damian tried to find loophole or middle line between Batman method and Al Ghul method, but not by putting Damian against everyone and being beaten by everyone. For that reason, I'm also quite sceptical with the new Robin tournament arc, because it puts Damian on high stake (greatest fighter, I mean sure Damian is great fighter, but still, he's 13/14 y.o kid) and there's rumor about Shiva and Rose on that book. If Damian wins, that will be unrealistic, but I don't think I will enjoy looking at Damian having humiliating defeat again like he got on like every arc on TT. Come on, one of the main reason I read superhoro comics is to see MY hero wins, goddamnit.

Honestly, the more I read about this upcoming series, the sadder I am for Damian. He'll be flanderized and won't ever be really interesting again. The emphasis on him and kid Jon friendship is also unhelpful and will keep to hurt the character for the foreseeable future. Better he had stayed dead than be turned into whatever DC is trying to make him become now.
    I don't think Williamson is going to flanderize his personality that much.

Really this feels like a continuation of the path Damian had been going down since Tomasi's Batman run and Gleason's Robin solo. So basically the character at his best, for me.

If you didn't like Pre-Rebirth Damian, then I guess this might not be your cup of tea.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Tomasi's stuff is a lot of whatever, but Gleason's ROBIN: SON OF BATMAN was a great title.

Astonishing Member

I think it's good that this book, (akin to Teen Titans Rebirth) is kicking off with Damian's mom's family stuff. Demons and Leagues. I think in most cases when you launch a Damian story those are definitely the "comfortable" but the natural places to start the story. But I do hope it branches outward sooner than later, like after the first four-to-six issues we break into a new angle, a new facet or area of the DCU for Damian to explore. And that doesn't have to be dramatic - he doesn't have to go from a Ra's al Ghul/Talia storyline to like, space adventures the next week. From the interview yesterday I think it's clear that Williamson is bringing back the kind of "Secret World of Kung-Fu" side of the DCU, really getting into the Denny O'Neil wheelhouse, and I think that's a very practical, logical, fun and great place to go, to spin out of Damian's heritage stuff.

Could we see Damian meet Richard Dragon and learn some patience? Is Williamson going to bring back the Green Arrow / The Question / Bronze Tiger of it all? Lady Shiva seems an obvious fit. And because of those characters inclusion does that make team-ups with Damian's "friends" like Emiko or Cassandra Cain into natural fits as well? And what about prior Robins like Tim who have already tread that ground and could give him advice?

And then where does it go from there? A return of Spyral? Somebody picking up Bendis's and Rucka's Checkmate strands? A crossover with Tom Taylor's Nightwing seems not only inevitable but to die for.

Either way I'm excited at the prospect of Williamson bringing the same sense of world-building and cohesion and incorporation to these types of characters that he brought to Flash.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I think it's good that this book, (akin to Teen Titans Rebirth) is kicking off with Damian's mom's family stuff. Demons and Leagues. I think in most cases when you launch a Damian story those are definitely the "comfortable" but the natural places to start the story. But I do hope it branches outward sooner than later, like after the first four-to-six issues we break into a new angle, a new facet or area of the DCU for Damian to explore. And that doesn't have to be dramatic - he doesn't have to go from a Ra's al Ghul/Talia storyline to like, space adventures the next week. From the interview yesterday I think it's clear that Williamson is bringing back the kind of "Secret World of Kung-Fu" side of the DCU, really getting into the Denny O'Neil wheelhouse, and I think that's a very practical, logical, fun and great place to go, to spin out of Damian's heritage stuff.

Could we see Damian meet Richard Dragon and learn some patience? Is Williamson going to bring back the Green Arrow / The Question / Bronze Tiger of it all? Lady Shiva seems an obvious fit. And because of those characters inclusion does that make team-ups with Damian's "friends" like Emiko or Cassandra Cain into natural fits as well? And what about prior Robins like Tim who have already tread that ground and could give him advice?

And then where does it go from there? A return of Spyral? Somebody picking up Bendis's and Rucka's Checkmate strands? A crossover with Tom Taylor's Nightwing seems not only inevitable but to die for.

Either way I'm excited at the prospect of Williamson bringing the same sense of world-building and cohesion and incorporation to these types of characters that he brought to Flash.
    Well said, as always.

I'm pulling for more Spyral. More Nightwing/Robin team ups. More Denny O'Neil/"Secret World of Kung-Fu". More of that old time world building. Yes, yes, yes, and also yes.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-29-2021 at 03:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    I mean, quite sure Damian's role on TT is the antagonist on the team, with him getting hammered repeatedly by everyone like "YOU.HAVE.DONE.EVERYTHING.WRONG!" on practically every arcs and readers are supposed to agree with them. I myself quite enjoyed story about Damian tried to find loophole or middle line between Batman method and Al Ghul method, but not by putting Damian against everyone and being beaten by everyone. For that reason, I'm also quite sceptical with the new Robin tournament arc, because it puts Damian on high stake (greatest fighter, I mean sure Damian is great fighter, but still, he's 13/14 y.o kid) and there's rumor about Shiva and Rose on that book. If Damian wins, that will be unrealistic, but I don't think I will enjoy looking at Damian having humiliating defeat again like he got on like every arc on TT. Come on, one of the main reason I read superhoro comics is to see MY hero wins, goddamnit.
    Winning doesn’t matter fight tournaments could be decided by flinging a rock at the temple

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    lol Damian isn't even the greatest fighter in Gotham city so already know that he's headed for defeat but hopefully we'll get some original characters to beef up the fodder so he gets a decent amount of wins [progress up the rounds] without nerfing characters that should outclass him.

I still want to see fights featuring Shiva, Bronze Tiger etc You know legendary combatants fighting each other. Crazy match ups.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

Love all the above.

It would be great if Cass made an appearance, kicked some arse and the dip out.
    I know Williamson said she's in use elsewhere but I brief cameo might be cool. She can always get called away on Outsiders/Batgirl business releasing her for whatever she's scheduled to be doing in April.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    lol Damian isn't even the greatest fighter in Gotham city so already know that he's headed for defeat but hopefully we'll get some original characters to beef up the fodder so he gets a decent amount of wins [progress up the rounds] without nerfing characters that should outclass him.

I still want to see fights featuring Shiva, Bronze Tiger etc You know legendary combatants fighting each other. Crazy match ups.
    He will fight his way through a couple no names. Mabey see rose Mabey sneak a win of Richard dragon the loose in the semi final

I don't understand why some people out there are so desperate because of one line of the solicitation that is clearly meant to be clickbait and grab attention. We all know Damian is not the best fighter and I'm not expecting him to suddenly defeat more powerful characters with no good explanation, because it would be stupid and everyone knows it, including the writer. Besides, you think he will go and fight Lady Shiva in the first issue? Wake up lol, this is clearly a long story.

Anyway, what I expect for this tournament is some good narrated fights. One of the things I always enjoyed of Naruto, for example, is how the battles always mixed strategy with ability, so I would love to see some of that. Either way, I think it's waaaay too early to judge this story; we don't even know what the plot is really about, all we can do at this point is guessing. Also, I'm curious to know how Williamson will deal with all of this. I've been reading his Flash run to acquaintance myself with him and, so far, nothing I've read seems similar to this story, so let's see where it goes.
    Last edited by the1&onlyE.; 01-29-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Torturing prisoners, mind wiping them and killing them will never be considered heroic in the DC universe (or in real life for that matter) and neither Glass nor Thompson were trying to depict Damian as being in the right.
    That's why he was compared to Ra's by Alfred (a character who is always used as the one to cut through other people's bullshit to reveal the truth to the reader), was constantly proven wrong and was called a monster by his team members.

I think it's also obvious at this point that what you want for the character is not a popular opinion and the majority is pretty excited for the change of direction and Williamson's book. Damian's character will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by the1&onlyE. View Post
    I don't understand why some people out there are so desperate because of one line of the solicitation that is clearly meant to be clickbait and grab attention. We all know Damian is not the best fighter and I'm not expecting him to suddenly defeat more powerful characters with no good explanation, because it would be stupid and everyone knows it, including the writer. Besides, you think he will go and fight Lady Shiva in the first issue? Wake up lol, this is clearly a long story.

Anyway, what I expect for this tournament is some good narrated fights. One of the things I always enjoyed of Naruto, for example, is how the battles always mixed strategy with ability, so I would love to see some of that. Either way, I think it's waaaay too early to judge this story; we don't even know what the plot is really about, all we can do at this point is guessing. Also, I'm curious to know how Williamson will deal with all of this. I've been reading his Flash run to acquaintance myself with him and, so far, nothing I've read seems similar to this story, so let's see where it goes.
    Yeah, I think some people really focus too much on best fighter aspect of the tournament. How many "deadliest assassins" are running around in the DC universe right now? It's just a title to get people interested that shouldn't be take too seriously.