Default What should be done with Jai & Iris West?

Now that they are back what does everyone think should be done with the characters? I would like to keep this thread positive so I would rather it not be a thing where people talk about why they don't like them and that they should go away. This is for people who like the characters and/or think they have potential to be something cool.

I am more of a fan of Iris (not Irey ugh). I would very much like it if she became A Kid Flash. A costume resembling her The Kingdom look. With maybe a few tweaks. I would keep her the age she is now though. No reason we can't have two Kid Flashes. That could be a interesting dynamic between her and Wallace.

Honestly I do not have many ideas for Jai yet. I know Johns was alluding to him becoming a villain. The new Turtle.

What do you guys think?

I rather not having more characters in the Flash franchise sharing the same name.

But, if Kid Quick isn't coming to regular universe, i would like to see Iris being part of the current generation that is being formed with Jon, Damian and Yara.

Extraordinary Member

I think they should add them at some point to the Super Sons, should Jon get deaged again.

They should definitely keep them at their current age, DC has more then enough teen and young adult characters, being pre teens and going on fun zany adventures would give this generation their own niche.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Supporting character for Flash for now
    Teen Titans eventually

My ideal would them being growing up at a normal pace from infancy whenever the universe is next "reset" because I don't like speed-aging. Or them as peers of Damian (or Jon, who I want to be 10/11 at this point). They should be years younger than Lian (who should still be alive, IMO). But I don't think that will happen.

Best actually possible scenario - both have powers and are hero-like. I suppose I may have a slightly outside chance of them ending up the same age, which I'd prefer. But mostly, don't make Jai evil, and don't make him subordinate to Irey. Let them be equals and both good. If they don't at least give me that, I'm not reading either of them - the way Irey ended up with speed powers and Jai not left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I read it without other context, and it frankly primed me to dislike Irey and see her as selfish, since her "solution" to them fighting over the speed-force was for her to get everything they both wanted and him to get nothing. A brief spate of pain doesn't make up for that. Other bits give more context, but I will always hate that. Not to mention my extreme irritation with even the idea of the speed force being fought over or not being equally accessible to both (which ties in to my annoyance with the inconsistent nature of the speed force and its use overall).

Also, I really hate evil siblings (and evil twins are worse). Was dismayed with Kate Kane turned out to have an evil twin (sure, she was brainwashed, but no way would they let her be helped, then stay non-evil). James Gordon, Jr. doesn't exist in my headcanon. I don't even like Blackfire's existence. And The Flash already has Cobalt Blue as a terrible example, too (but heck, he was retconned in, and even people who like all the other evil siblings don't like him).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-14-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Had to do anything with Wally's supporting cast if Wally doesn't even have a book himself.

That said, I liked the direction they were going pre-Flashpoint. Having Wally train his kids in their abilities ala Max/Bart would be a fun read.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    They should be years younger than Lian (who should still be alive, IMO). But I don't think that will happen.
    Lian was iirc 5 by the time of Cry for Justice, so they would basically be stuck as Toddlers for the foreseeable future, if they were younger.

For the foreseeable future, I don't want the West kids in costumes at all. We've got a lot of speedsters already who need a lot of TLC, and how the family fits together as a whole really needs a lot of work too. Before we add new, pre-teen speedsters into the mix let's figure out how everyone we already have operate, how they interact, what sets them apart from each other and makes them interesting, etc.

So I say leave the West kids out of costumes while DC rebuilds Wally's life and the turns the Flash family back into the tight knit clan it used to be. The West kids can be used primarily through the lens of Wally's character development.

Once that's done...well I haven't read Flash Forward yet so I'm not 100% on where the West kids are at, but Irey will likely need a new name and costume, unless Wallace and/or Bart have moved on from being Kid Flash/Impulse. Irey *is* still a speedster right? Don't much care what name she uses but I kinda like the idea of her picking it out herself and making it something silly that an eight (?) year old might think up; Princess Speed or something.

Are they still doing the thing with Jai where he's lost his powers and they're hinting at a heel turn? I'd let that play out, let Jai tap into the still force and become the new Turtle.....but I wouldn't make him evil; he'd be a heroic Turtle (which I think is what Johns was indicating in those final Doomsday Clock pages).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Lian was iirc 5 by the time of Cry for Justice, so they would basically be stuck as Toddlers for the foreseeable future, if they were younger.
    Oh, I know that. I understand why DC wants to kill off or speed age or time-skip or introduce-as-older all the kids: an infant/toddler just can't do much. They are really only there for exploring aspects of the older characters around them, rather than being active and interesting as characters themselves. I would still rather they grow up slow and just be infants/toddlers/part of Wally's home life for a (long) while.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Had to do anything with Wally's supporting cast if Wally doesn't even have a book himself.

That said, I liked the direction they were going pre-Flashpoint. Having Wally train his kids in their abilities ala Max/Bart would be a fun read.
    This for me is the way to go.
    Keep them as young kids, they don't need to be joining any teams at the age they are. Supporting characters only - along with Linda.
    Also, the idea of Wally training kids opens up all sorts of interesting scenarios. Would he be better now than he was trying to train Bart?
    Wally has links to damn near the entire DCU. I could see his syllabus including courses with Dick, Donna, Max, Jay etc.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I've said it once and I'll say it again Speedforce team comic
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I've said it once and I'll say it again Speedforce team comic
    Hey, we've only been asking for it for 10 years. Give it time!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    For the foreseeable future, I don't want the West kids in costumes at all. We've got a lot of speedsters already who need a lot of TLC, and how the family fits together as a whole really needs a lot of work too. Before we add new, pre-teen speedsters into the mix let's figure out how everyone we already have operate, how they interact, what sets them apart from each other and makes them interesting, etc.

So I say leave the West kids out of costumes while DC rebuilds Wally's life and the turns the Flash family back into the tight knit clan it used to be. The West kids can be used primarily through the lens of Wally's character development.

Once that's done...well I haven't read Flash Forward yet so I'm not 100% on where the West kids are at, but Irey will likely need a new name and costume, unless Wallace and/or Bart have moved on from being Kid Flash/Impulse. Irey *is* still a speedster right? Don't much care what name she uses but I kinda like the idea of her picking it out herself and making it something silly that an eight (?) year old might think up; Princess Speed or something.

Are they still doing the thing with Jai where he's lost his powers and they're hinting at a heel turn? I'd let that play out, let Jai tap into the still force and become the new Turtle.....but I wouldn't make him evil; he'd be a heroic Turtle (which I think is what Johns was indicating in those final Doomsday Clock pages).
    They predate the vast majority of these young speedsters who got a million more chances than them. Why exactly does Wallace get dibs over anyone?
    Last edited by Dred; 01-14-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Wally,Linda & the kids are a perfect fit for a Fantastic Four-esque family of Multiversal explorers myself.

I personally think they should just let them be kids. I was never crazy about the idea of them developing powers and putting on costumes at such a young age. It's like comics writers don't know how to write kids, so they always either kill them off (Lian, Aquababy, Peter and MJ's baby) or artificially age them up (Jon Kent, every mutant kid in the X-Books).