Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Hogwarts Legacy open world RPG game

Any Harry Potter fans here? Even if you're not, this game looks pretty cool. Although it's been delayed until next year now, anyone else looking forward to it?

Hogwarts Legacy is an immersive, open-world action RPG set in the world first introduced in the Harry Potter books. Now you can take control of the action and be at the center of your own adventure in the wizarding world. Embark on a journey through familiar and new locations as you explore and discover fantastic beasts, customize your character and craft potions, master spell casting, upgrade talents, and become the wizard you want to be.

Experience Hogwarts in the 1800s. Your character is a student who holds the key to an ancient secret that threatens to tear the wizarding world apart. You have received a late acceptance to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and soon discover that you are no ordinary student: you possess an unusual ability to perceive and master Ancient Magic. Only you can decide if you will protect this secret for the good of all, or yield to the temptation of more sinister magic.

Discover the feeling of living at Hogwarts as you make allies, battle Dark wizards, and ultimately decide the fate of the wizarding world. Your legacy is what you make of it.

Attachment 104793

https://www.hogwartslegacy.com/en-us
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kmeyers; 01-14-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Pretty excited for this one, especially since it's in a new era and you can pick your looks and house (definitely going with Ravenclaw). Some will whine inevitably about giving JK money but that shouldn't stop us from being excited for such an experience.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I'm not a Potter fan but I'm always up for an RPG. I want to know more about this one before making up my mind on it.

I was a big Harry Potter fan as a kid. A RPG set in Hogwarts feels like a dream come true.

BANNED

I am curious how they go about it.

The HP world, or Hogwarts really, is generally speaking not really conducive to a videogame adaptation. You have a single large map and one building and sub-sections. Then you have the school setting or fantasy. So you don't have the sprawl and variety that you get in Witcher.

The magic system in HP books is also frankly speaking quite dull...it wouldn't give you the sense of using magic and power that you get in a game like DISHONORED, or Witcher, or Zelda.

I played the first two HP games made by EA and I liked them at the time when I was a kid but I also felt that despite both games being quite faithful to the books and movies, it was actually quite dull because school is dull as a setting.

The Harry Potter books work because of the characters and not the setting. In a videogame the setting in general has to work and feel like good gameplay. When you are adapting a license, you have to bank it all on the setting and not the character. That doesn't work at all if you do a game in the magical world without Harry Potter because that world doesn't have interest without the main protagonist.

What genders will be allowed in character creation?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I am curious how they go about it.

The HP world, or Hogwarts really, is generally speaking not really conducive to a videogame adaptation. You have a single large map and one building and sub-sections. Then you have the school setting or fantasy. So you don't have the sprawl and variety that you get in Witcher.

The magic system in HP books is also frankly speaking quite dull...it wouldn't give you the sense of using magic and power that you get in a game like DISHONORED, or Witcher, or Zelda.

I played the first two HP games made by EA and I liked them at the time when I was a kid but I also felt that despite both games being quite faithful to the books and movies, it was actually quite dull because school is dull as a setting.

The Harry Potter books work because of the characters and not the setting. In a videogame the setting in general has to work and feel like good gameplay. When you are adapting a license, you have to bank it all on the setting and not the character. That doesn't work at all if you do a game in the magical world without Harry Potter because that world doesn't have interest without the main protagonist.
    I think there are plenty of areas that will be playable in the Wizarding World. It's not going to just be Hogwarts castle. I'm not sure how expansive the world will be, but it sounds like it will incorporate the whole wizarding world. The castle will probably be the place for power ups, spells, potions, and gaining attributes. Maybe gaining party members?

There are plenty of other areas to.explore in the wizarding world aside from Hogwarts itself. It should explore familiar places around the castle like Hogsmeade, and Diagon Alley, Gringott's Bank, to the Black Lake, The Dark Forrest, The Hogwarts Express, Kings Cross Station, Hagrid's, the land of the giants, Dragon's lairs, to The Ministry of Magic and possibly all of the other schools, Durmstrang and Beubaxton and others not named, maybe take the Knight Bus to anywhere in the Muggle world.

It also sounds like it might be incorporating Fantastic Beasts, which opens up North America and a whole new area of schools and locations(and creatures!). So I don't think the setting is going to be limited,.or a problem at all. There should be plenty to explore while fighting Dark wizards and whatever else along the way.

And since it takes.place well before Harry's time, it will be completely independent from that storyline, and looks like it lends itself to multiple storyline possibilities, like possibly choosing to become a Dark wizard or an Auror.

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    What genders will be allowed in character creation?
    I'm guessing that you can play as either a boy or a girl, not sure what other gender there could be given the subject material and all...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I'm guessing that you can play as either a boy or a girl, not sure what other gender there could be given the subject material and all...
    Yeah, it's probably not going to be like in CyberPunk 2077 where you have a wider possibilities for determining your gender and the ability to swap out your genitals.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Unless the creative team behind it is going to include Trans characters as a option to spite JK, I would assume it'll be be male and female options. Certainly from leaks it was suggested that you will be a fifth year coming in late to Hogwarts so I presume your age will be fixed at about 15/16. Also interested in they'll allow for nationality and if you can be a transfer student from the other magic schools or not.

Also curious if a young Dumbledore might appear since it's about the right time for him as a student. And Phineas Nigellus Black will probably be Headmaster, which is interesting.

only thing I can't fathom is why it took so long to make something like this. Other than the movie tie ins and a mobile gacha game the HP game franchise has been a void for some reason

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    only thing I can't fathom is why it took so long to make something like this. Other than the movie tie ins and a mobile gacha game the HP game franchise has been a void for some reason
    Isn't Fantastic Beasts keeping the franchise relevant?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Unless the creative team behind it is going to include Trans characters as a option to spite JK, I would assume it'll be be male and female options. Certainly from leaks it was suggested that you will be a fifth year coming in late to Hogwarts so I presume your age will be fixed at about 15/16. Also interested in they'll allow for nationality and if you can be a transfer student from the other magic schools or not.

Also curious if a young Dumbledore might appear since it's about the right time for him as a student. And Phineas Nigellus Black will probably be Headmaster, which is interesting.
    I don't think that they could just switch it up and do something like that and not have her pull her approval, which would then kill the game...much like with hot the Robert Downey Junior Sherlock movies, when the writers and such thought about adding subtext that Holmes and Watson had been lovers that the estate of Sherlock's writer threatened to pull thier approval, so that storyline was dropped...

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Isn't Fantastic Beasts keeping the franchise relevant?
    you'd think so, and even without it it still has a very large fanbase to draw on and a good deal of worldbuilding, and the overall story at least early on was basically constructed by the numbers for self insertion fantasies, makes it kind of baffling why there's never been a larger scope character creation game before now, just the movie tie ins, lego versions, and a few Kinect style gimmick games. Of course there haven't been any HP games at all since 2013 apart from Mobile titles.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 01-17-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like HP, RPG, 19th century and open world. The graphics look good. My only problem from the trailer is I still see them using the old HP games wand animation. It's much smoother and better now, but I can still see shades of that awkward stiff hand movement as they cast rapid fire spells.