Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Marvel stories that cant possibly be in continuity anymore

It fascinates me. The FF meeting The Beatles. Reed and Ben serving in WW2. Cap had to have been revived in the 21st century. Spider Man hanging out with the original SNL cast. Iron Man meeting Rhodey during Vietnam. The Avengers appearing on Letterman. I love that Marvel has not rebooted (I consider things like Siet Cong or whatever it's called to be minor fixes that dont alter continuity). I read a great blog that uses Marvel continuity to put forth the idea that young Franklin Richards has subconsciously affected the movement of time in 616. What stories do you recall that now, with the passage of real world time, could not have possibly happened in the Marvel universe as was presented at the time?
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Anything involving the World Trade Center in New York, as it was now destroyed before the Fantastic Four debuted.

Anything USSR related. For example, the Winter Guard would've always been called that, rather than being referred to as Soviet.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Fantastic Four story where the Red Ghost debuted in Fantastic Four 13 and they were the first people to walk on the moon.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

... not in continuity due to real time events, or due to retcons?

That's a clear case of real time events. The FF can't be the first on the moon if Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong did it over 50 years ago.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Wolverine getting killed at Banshee’s family castle and regenerating from a couple drops of blood.

Also Logan knowing leprechauns.

Al as o anything involving the turn of the century, like Y2K.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 01-15-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Reed and Ben being Corea war vets.

And about Carol and the Immortus bussiness. I don't think they even would want to mention that, ever again.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

If Secret Wars wasn’t a reboot I don’t know what was.... we call all the crises at DC that ended universe and recreated it with differences reboots why wouldn’t we call Hickmans story a reboot!?!
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    If Secret Wars wasn’t a reboot I don’t know what was.... we call all the crises at DC that ended universe and recreated it with differences reboots why wouldn’t we call Hickmans story a reboot!?!
    In my personal headcanon the repairing of reality after Secret Wars gave us Siet Cong and several other tweaks to the timeline.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    In my personal headcanon the repairing of reality after Secret Wars gave us Siet Cong and several other tweaks to the timeline.
    Marvel does a lot of smaller tweaks, and as some of the example here have shown, it's pretty well necessary. The end of Secret Wars allowed for probably the closest Marvel's ever had to an actual reboot. And by closest, it's still not even on the same continent.

As for actual content, the scene in FF 12 where Ben rips Ross' collection of bound phone books either is redone, or Ben rips actual valuable collectibles which would even be worse.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Flash Thompson joining to army to serve during the Vietnam War.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    It was Marvel having their cake and eating it too.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Invincible Member

Well, the stories are still in continuity, it's just that the pop culture and historical references aren't. The first Cap/Nomad story still happened, it's just that it happened during a vague era of political corruption rather than specifically Watergate/Patty Hearst. Spidey's origin still has him trying to break into show biz, but it's just some talk show rather than Ed Sullivan.

Taken to it's logical extreme, any scene in an old comic where someone is on a rotary phone, still happened but it wa 10 yrs ago and they were using a cell phone.

Invincible Member

Thinking about it, there's a scene Brian Bendis's All New All Different X-Men about the time displaced O5 X-Men where Bendis kinda dropped the ball. Teen Cyclops wanders in to a convenience store and is confused about all the bottled water. Now 1963 Scott would have thought bottled water was odd, but because of the sliding time scale the O5 would have been from the late 90's or early 2000's and such things would be natural to them.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, because of sliding time scale we have to assume all characters since Fantastic Four #1 has had access to the internet. And in a few years, cell phones as well.

And using pay phones, would not happen in story.

I know I have bitched about all the reboots DC has done. But I would not seeing a company wide reboot of Marvel.

But chances are people wont like it and they will do a reboot to fix the reboot and another reboot to fix that reboot.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.