Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

What about cases of characters going missing? In the past, they'd have physically gone out looking for them, but nowadays, the first thing you'd do is call their mobile. If they don't answer, you can immediately assume they're in trouble, but if they answer, you just saved yourself a journey.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I guess they also have to somehow reverse the fact that the planet's environment has been under siege since the 1950s, when nuclear testing and every manner of pollution that accompanies rapid industrialization, overconsumption and overpopulation pissed off guys like Namor to the point that he was willing to wage war on the surface world. I mean really, if the FF, Avengers and other "modern" heroes don't launch until the 1990s, who the hell stops Namor and Atlantis from taking over the surface world? Or are we supposed to believe that Namor sat around with his thumb up his arse for 50+ years while his ocean empire went to hell in a handbasket? Doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 01-15-2021 at 10:57 AM.

An early issue of FF explains that one. Namor had amnesia. Johnny found him and gave him a shave using his powers.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    An early issue of FF explains that one. Namor had amnesia. Johnny found him and gave him a shave using his powers.
    Right, but did all of the Atlanteans have amnesia? I recall many of them were willing to conquer the surface world as well.

Edit: And now that I think about it, if Johnny didn't exist until the 1990s/2000s, he can't be the guy that discovers Namor. Most kids today don't know their history. I hardly think any of them would recognize Abe Lincoln in disguise, let alone Namor.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 01-15-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Right, but did all of the Atlanteans have amnesia? I recall many of them were willing to conquer the surface world as well.

Edit: And now that I think about it, if Johnny didn't exist until the 1990s/2000s, he can't be the guy that discovers Namor. Most kids today don't know their history. I hardly think anyone of them would recognize Abe Lincoln in disguise, let alone Namor.
    Agreed. What about his Warlord, Krag? Or Attuma? They want to take over the surface world. Why did they not try? Did they just decide to wait until Namor was back or the world had heroes to stop them?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I guess they also have to somehow reverse the fact that the planet's environment has been under siege since the 1950s, when nuclear testing and every manner of pollution that accompanies rapid industrialization, overconsumption and overpopulation pissed off guys like Namor to the point that he was willing to wage war on the surface world. I mean really, if the FF, Avengers and other "modern" heroes don't launch until the 1990s, who the hell stops Namor and Atlantis from taking over the surface world? Or are we supposed to believe that Namor sat around with his thumb up his arse for 50+ years while his ocean empire went to hell in a handbasket? Doesn't make sense to me.
    The Golden Age heroes. lol
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    If Secret Wars wasn’t a reboot I don’t know what was.... we call all the crises at DC that ended universe and recreated it with differences reboots why wouldn’t we call Hickmans story a reboot!?!
    Because DC's changes made most of previous continuity not count while Marvel still references back all the time. There's nothing comparable to Wonder Woman being a new hero after Crisis.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Thinking about it, there's a scene Brian Bendis's All New All Different X-Men about the time displaced O5 X-Men where Bendis kinda dropped the ball. Teen Cyclops wanders in to a convenience store and is confused about all the bottled water. Now 1963 Scott would have thought bottled water was odd, but because of the sliding time scale the O5 would have been from the late 90's or early 2000's and such things would be natural to them.
    I like when writers acknowledge the actual true passage of time like this. There were a few memorable moments like that with the 05 XMen.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Edit: And now that I think about it, if Johnny didn't exist until the 1990s/2000s, he can't be the guy that discovers Namor. Most kids today don't know their history. I hardly think anyone of them would recognize Abe Lincoln in disguise, let alone Namor.
    Atlanteans live for a very long time, it's perfectly possible for Namor to have amnesia and be living another life for 80 years rather than 20 (though I imagine he'd be confused about why he doesn't age). The same way the amount of time Captain America was frozen gets extended as time passes.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Pretty much anything involving a historical event or having served in a war, except for Magnetos backstory

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Atlanteans live for a very long time, it's perfectly possible for Namor to have amnesia and be living another life for 80 years rather than 20 (though I imagine he'd be confused about why he doesn't age). The same way the amount of time Captain America was frozen gets extended as time passes.
    I'm not questioning Namor's age, merely some of the surrounding elements of his story. I highly doubt just because Namor isn't around that Atlantis doesn't proceed with attacking the surface world for its transgressions. I also don't think Johnny or any kid that was a teen in 1990 or 2000 would recognize a homeless, bearded, disheveled Namor some 60 years after he was last seen in action.

There's also the small issue of Blue Marvel and Namor having their first encounter in the 1960s deep in the ocean depths of the Mariana Trench. Modern day Namor remembers that encounter. Odd, considering that Namor was supposedly inflicted with amnesia by Destiny in the 1950s. Blue Marvel and Namor met around 1962, before Blue Marvel was forcibly retired. Anyway, Namor specifically references wanting to prevent further intrusion by surface dwellers before he and the Blue Marvel trade haymakers. I imagine his political will reflected the greater sentiment of the Atlantean people. Even if Namor somehow managed to lapse back into amnesia after getting his clock cleaned by Adam, it doesn't explain why Atlantis didn't overrun the surface world with their far superior scientific and magical technology after 1962. There'd be no one around to stop them for another 40 years.

I think you'd pretty much have to delete all of Namor's past from 1959 to the modern era. That also includes his retconned adventure with Charles Xavier back in the 1950s. I'm not sure what the downstream implications of his adventure with Xavier is, but at least if you remove his encounter with Adam Brashear the world continues to spin as normal. Aside from a nice conversation between the two stalwarts, Adam's history remains mostly unchanged.

Are 70s and 80s nods still canon?

The spidey at the disco issues come to mind.

[IMG][/IMG]

Spidey going to see temple of doom at the movies!

[IMG][/IMG]

What about cap fighting ronald reagan as a lizard man in the white house!

[IMG][/IMG]

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I mean if we're being honest the sliding timeline gets everybody in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The spidey at the disco issues come to mind.
    Piggybacking on that sentiment, let's also not forget that Dazzler started out as a disco star, roller skates and all. And, of course, she knew Iron Man (Tony Stark), Cap, Ben Grimm, Johnny Storm, Spider-Man and the X-Men at the time. And don't even get me started on the fashion worn by some characters, lingo and slang, and other key markers that clearly indicate what era they're inhabiting.

Seriously, no story is safe. None.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And while we're at it, let's not leave the rock gods out of this. KISS anyone? It's probably not canon, but worth a walk down memory lane all the same. I think KISS not only fought Dr. Doom, but Mephisto as well, if memory serves.
    Attached Images Attached Images