Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Alf is canon. He was part of the evolutionary war and the high evolutionary handbook page even talks about alf!

He showed up on a tv in infinity gauntlet so maybe he became a talk show host or tv star.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    But no less likely than a hybrid child of two radically different species that flies due to teensy wings on his ankles.
    When you consider all of the weird and interesting creatures that inhabit the ocean, it's difficult to see Namor as the miracle. What about sea creatures like lanternfish that create their own bioluminescence and thrive at ocean depths that would crush a titanium sphere? Or distant relatives of crabs and shrimp that exist on chemosynthesis near volcanic vents that churn out sulfur like black plumes that easily reach 700 degrees Fahrenheit? Or ghostlike jellyfish the size of cars? The oceans are filled with miraculous life forms, some of which modern scientists are still discovering. With human eyes we might see Namor as an aberration because it fits our narrative. And like Mar-Vell, we'll get another sympathetic allegory on reverse racism, because, well, the blue skins are always hating on the pink-skinned ones. But I'd like to think that if Atlanteans did exist, and if they had truly been exposed to all of the wonders of the ocean depths for over 12,000 years, then they wouldn't be so quick to judge another Atlantean simply because he had different skin tone, pointed ears and wings on his ankles. It would be the least shocking thing in all of nature that they've seen.

Now, hating Namor because he was part surface dweller -- well, that's something that I find a little more plausible.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 01-16-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The kiss comics are canon!
    That works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Those ROM, Godzilla and Super Robot comics ain't canon for sure.
    Wait, doesn't Marvel still either own or have license to use the Dire Wraiths from Rom lore? The same Dire Wraiths that were used in the Annihilators series from a few years back? Just curious.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Depends. Bruce and most of his supporting cast are immortal at this point. So they can still fight the Soviets.
    But he became the Hulk after the F4 came to be, around the time Spidey became a superhero. Still doesn't fit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Alf is canon. He was part of the evolutionary war and the high evolutionary handbook page even talks about alf!

He showed up on a tv in infinity gauntlet so maybe he became a talk show host or tv star.
    I had to look it up because I didn't think that the X-Men and the X-Melmen exist in the same universe. According to this, the ALF universe is Earth-88131.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But he became the Hulk after the F4 came to be, around the time Spidey became a superhero. Still doesn't fit.
    If their gonna retcon things anyway I'd rather the shift some of the stories around as opposed to retcon them entirely.

You make a good point. The reason why Bruce was testing a gamma bomb in the first place has to do with the arms race of the era.

It's also worth noting that in the real world a nuclear test ban treaty was signed by the US, the then Soviet Union, and Great Britain in August 1963 that prohibited the testing of nuclear weapons above ground/in the atmosphere, underwater or in space. That would include a gamma bomb, if such a thing existed. Hulk got his start a year prior, so it makes sense that Stan and Jack didn't think anything of having a character get his powers via an above ground gamma bomb test.

If they're sticking with no heroes emerging until the 2000s, they'll need to tweak the Hulk's origin a tiny bit. It's as simple as making the fateful gamma test one that occurred below ground. Whether or not they still want to run with the recent twist that the One Below All played a part in Hulk's gamma origin, so be it. I'm not a fan of it, but whatever works.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    You make a good point. The reason why Bruce was testing a gamma bomb in the first place has to do with the arms race of the era.

It's also worth noting that in the real world a nuclear test ban treaty was signed by the US, the then Soviet Union, and Great Britain in August 1963 that prohibited the testing of nuclear weapons above ground/in the atmosphere, underwater or in space. That would include a gamma bomb, if such a thing existed. Hulk got his start a year prior, so it makes sense that Stan and Jack didn't think anything of having a character get his powers via an above ground gamma bomb test.

If they're sticking with no heroes emerging until the 2000s, they'll need to tweak the Hulk's origin a tiny bit. It's as simple as making the fateful gamma test one that occurred below ground. Whether or not they still want to run with the recent twist that the One Below All played a part in Hulk's gamma origin, so be it. I'm not a fan of it, but whatever works.
    Honestly, Banner's proposed gamma bomb would be something any military would put their weight behind. His planned bomb would have destroyed property but left people alive. If it actually had worked, I can't imagine a better weapon for the war on terror. Drop a bomb, and then send in soldiers to sweep up the unarmed survivors.

Mighty Member

My answer is this, the sliding timescale works in the favour of comics canon. Fantastic Four meeting the Beatles? Well, Johnny got a chance to meet the late 90's craze that is sweeping America. In 10 years time, they will be the millennial pop group that is getting a million views on YouTube. 10 years after that, Gwen Stacey is doing TikTok dances to them.
    At least relative to our modern technology. Maybe in the Marvel Universe, they didn't get laptops until 2004.

At least with that way of thinking, my brain doesn't hurt as much.
    Honestly, the one comic that could explain it all away is Deadpool, and that's if they just say 'hey, comics are old, this is a meta reference'

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Honestly, Banner's proposed gamma bomb would be something any military would put their weight behind. His planned bomb would have destroyed property but left people alive. If it actually had worked, I can't imagine a better weapon for the war on terror. Drop a bomb, and then send in soldiers to sweep up the unarmed survivors.
    Sounds like the opposite of how a real world Neutron bomb operates, which is wipe out people, but keep the infrastructure intact.

From a military standpoint the argument will always be that buildings don't declare wars, rebellions, insurrections and there's zero risk of any type of retaliatory response generations after the bomb was detonated. In that sense what Bruce was pursuing was a little naive with respect to human nature.

It also seems very unrealistic. An otherwise uncontrolled explosion that can destroy a skyscraper would kill everyone inside of said skyscraper. Or does the gamma radiation somehow give everyone wings or gravity, light, heat, and kinetic energy defying powers, too? I mean nature abhors a vacuum. Eliminate the buildings and air rapidly rushing to fill the space would likely generate wind, heat and friction, too. People would die. Humans are just squishy like that. But it's comics, so who knows...maybe they could design a story that really sells us on the fictional science.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 01-16-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Maybe in the Marvel Universe, they didn't get laptops until 2004.
    Wasn't the first laptops rolled out in, like, the 80s or something like that? It would be a challenge for writers to present a fictional planet where most of the populace is a quarter of a century behind what the readership sees in their daily lives.

Ultimate Member

Sounds like the opposite of how a real world Neutron bomb operates, which is wipe out people, but keep the infrastructure intact.

From a military standpoint the argument will always be that buildings don't declare wars, rebellions, insurrections and there's zero risk of any type of retaliatory response generations after the bomb was detonated. In that sense what Bruce was pursuing was a little naive with respect to human nature.

It also seems very unrealistic. An otherwise uncontrolled explosion that can destroy a skyscraper would kill everyone inside of said skyscraper. Or does the gamma radiation somehow give everyone wings or gravity, light, heat, and kinetic energy defying powers, too? I mean nature abhors a vacuum. Eliminate the buildings and air rapidly rushing to fill the space would likely generate wind, heat and friction, too. People would die. Humans are just squishy like that. But it's comics, so who knows...maybe they could design a story that really sells us on the fictional science.
    This is a world where creatures zapped with gamma rays become inhuman monsters. It's about as realistic as anything else

But modern warfare is increasingly urban, with enemy soldiers mixed in with the civilian population. If the gamma bomb worked as intended, you could surround an area, drop the bomb and then send in soldiers to sort out who's who with little meaningful opposition. So I can see the appeal of the idea

Right, but did all of the Atlanteans have amnesia? I recall many of them were willing to conquer the surface world as well.

Edit: And now that I think about it, if Johnny didn't exist until the 1990s/2000s, he can't be the guy that discovers Namor. Most kids today don't know their history. I hardly think any of them would recognize Abe Lincoln in disguise, let alone Namor.
    The way I explain it is all of 1961-2000, happened in the first 2 months of the year 2000. Before 2000, that it was the Atlas monster age. Remember the Marvel movies all start with comicbooks rapidly turning pages about the character? That was 2000 turning the pages of history.
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-16-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Boisterously Confused

IIRC, Hulk's first meeting with the FF occurred (publishing datewise) after cancelation of Hulk's first title, but before introduction of his Tales To Astonish feature, and there were no other canonical in-continuity appearances in-between. So, technically, you could let the sliding history indicate that Hulk predated the FF by almost any period of time, including keeping his origin in The Cold War, without invalidating established continuity. You could even explain the in-verse "popular misconception" that FF came first by claiming Thunderbolt Ross slapped a security blackout over his existence for a while.

Now you wouldn't want to stretch the timeline too far because you run into the same problem Superman has: Superman could reasonably be immortal, but Lois Lane can't. Rick Jones, in particular, has a broad enough footprint across the MU that the amount of stretching you can do with his start date relative to the FF is limited without twisting up history. What's more, you create editorial burden every time you introduce those kinds of exceptions (Wolverine is a nightmare for that kind of thing).

Still, there's room to play with.