Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default DC Letter Columns; Have You Ever Gotten a Letter Published

One of the dying arts associated with comics is the letter column.

I've been going through plenty of back issues and it's shocking how many thoughtful responses there were to stories that probably weren't worth that much thought.

I reread a three parter in Batman Shadow of the Bat where rhe Floronic Man tried to get all of Gotham stoned. It was just a silly reefer madness psa, but many readers sent letters about their harrowing history with battling drug addiction.

Have you ever sent a letter to a title and get published? Do you have any memories of particular letter columns that stand out to you.

I think my first letter published was printed when I was a kid. I pointed out that it seemed like every time Batman and Aquaman teamed up in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, they were at odds. When I re-read the letter at that time, they had edited it so heavily that I didn't even agree with myself!

In the 90s I sent a handful of short (one or two paragraph) letters and most saw print, and recently I was re-reading the old L.E.G.I.O.N series and one of my longer letters caught my eye and I was rather surprised that it was so well written--if I do say so myself.

But I guess there's one letter that is most memorable and it was printed in ANIMAL MAN 20. I expressed how much I loved Buddy Baker's family and looked forward to seeing more of them in future issues. Well, in the previous issue Buddy came home to find his wife and two kids murdered and this issue was the aftermath. The editor's response: "Er...next letter!"

When was the last DC letters column? Just before New 52 started? I know a few Marvel books have them (Spider-Woman, Immortal Hulk) but DC hasn't had them for quite some time.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Man I would love to send some nowadays. (Not to complain relentlessly, but just to feel like I have some kind of input and connection with the editors/writers, however minimal.)