Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Hope Summers IMO should not be omega level her power has a clear limitation the fact it only works with mutants I feel the character was just shoved down the X-Fans throats for years to the point if she wasn't on the list it wouldn't make sense.
    Did she not copy the powers of the dragon in Iron Fist

What exactly did this list accomplish?
    It limited the number of Omega mutants around. Even with the now added Arakko mutants it is a still a small number( more on that below)

What did it change from before Hickman "defined" what an Omega mutant is?
    Before Hickman definition anybody could have pulled from their ass that this mutant was omega. Now they are parameters that prevent a writer from making any mutant a omega to try to give them some false importance in a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Like some other aspects of the Hickman Era, the omega mutant thing is a bit overhyped.

Anyone else not think the definition of omega mutant is clear or am I the only dummy? Lol
    I don't even get the over hyped thing ,Hickman wanted a "more clear" definition and rules for Omega mutants which he made because he is the guy in charge. And because not all mutants powers work the same and there is also some funky powers around it is hard to make universal system for all mutants. That is where your lack of clarity probably comes in to the picture. Creating a system that tries align Jean Grey and Isca is going to be a little wonky. The system is clearly missing somethings for example the levels under it for contrast ,The frequency of Omega mutants with in population and better effort to define what is undefinable but it was good start . The others stuff can add on as needed later.

The best thing about it kills most arguments about "my favorite character should be omega" because until they perform something worth being noted as omega worthy in this era they can't be called that. And given that there is a hard list it is unlikely they will perform at that level in any story. So any character who isn't omega on the list we can safely assume they have a "definable upper limit" until they do something to prove otherwise.

The last thing most of the Omega list is potential bad guys/antagonist they are four characters Iceman, Hope, Storm, Jean who are outright good guys. The rest of list made of people who can easily been seen as antagonist. It is better that antagonist are seen a team beaters/the most powerful ones than the good guys. Having Magento show up and Jean, Iceman, Storm, Rachel, Lorna, Psylocke, Cable and more all being Omega is stupid. The one thing the list did is clearly cut down amount of good guys who are Omega. And realistically Hope and Elixir are limited in how their powers work. Iceman and Quire haven't tapped their potential. Which leaves just Storm and Jean Grey. "Two" people in whole franchise you expect mastery of their powers and omega stuff.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-20-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Did she not copy the powers of the dragon in Iron Fist
    That was more of her bond with the pf when she still had it. Her mutant power does not duplicate non-mutant powers.

And even in this bit she is useless she doubles a few powers and is agitated and faints this happened multiple times.

There are many things for which it is ridiculous this overrated character is considered omega

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    That was more of her bond with the pf when she still had it. Her mutant power does not duplicate non-mutant powers.

And even in this bit she is useless she doubles a few powers and is agitated and faints this happened multiple times.

There are many things for which it is ridiculous this overrated character is considered omega
    She was a teenage character that had just gained her powers a couple of months earlier. She didnt have the experience and her powers were still growing. Jean Grey was not capable of the stuff she can do now as an adult when she was a teenager. Ditto on Iceman and Elixir when they were first introduced, but teenage characters grow

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I was thinking Manifold would be an Omega teleporter but he needed the other ones in SWORD so he has a limit. I do think teleportation could theoretically have an Omega based on range.
    I have just been reminded of a possible Omega level teleporter,
    Laura Dean aka Pathway. To be fair I've never read an issue with her to know her feats but when her bio is described she is on par with Magik ,so if Magik is considered as an omega by many ,I think Pathway should as well

Astonishing Member

Out of curiosity who are the powerful power dampeners? I know only Leech (and he seems regular) and Rogue although I'm not sure if her power is power 'expunging'/siphoning or some weird duplication that is more like cut and paste instead of copy and paste..

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Chance (Fallen Angels) can negate powers as well as boost them, last time we saw her she lacked control of her abilities.
    Scrambler (Marauder) can disrupt powers as well as other systems but requires physical contact.
    Wipeout (Press Gang) targets remain depowered indefinitely until he undoes the effect, not as effective on non-mutant superpowers.

I think Wipeout is probably the most powerful, but it's hard to say for certain.

And none of them would be considered omega based on the current definition as there is tech which is more powerful and effective than them at dampening powers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    And none of them would be considered omega based on the current definition as there is tech which is more powerful and effective than them at dampening powers.
    Well it could depend on things like range, how long the dampening or shutdown of mutant ability lasts and the numbers affected simultaneously.It is possible for a single tech device to have limits in all those axes ,and mutant dampeners to have the same but I feel there could be an omega dampener for example if he or she can dampen powers of extra terrestrial beings while technology works on only mutant physiology.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Chance (Fallen Angels) can negate powers as well as boost them, last time we saw her she lacked control of her abilities.
    Scrambler (Marauder) can disrupt powers as well as other systems but requires physical contact.
    Wipeout (Press Gang) targets remain depowered indefinitely until he undoes the effect, not as effective on non-mutant superpowers.

I think Wipeout is probably the most powerful, but it's hard to say for certain.
    None of those characters have undefinable upper limit, Maybe if one of them could shut down every mutant/power person on earth at the same time they would be closer to area needed even then I don't think that is enough. It would need to be something like they can depower any being they come incontact with stuff like Gods/Celestial/ Elders would be affected by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Well it could depend on things like range, how long the dampening or shutdown of mutant ability lasts and the numbers affected simultaneously.It is possible for a single tech device to have limits in all those axes ,and mutant dampeners to have the same but I feel there could be an omega dampener for example if he or she can dampen powers of extra terrestrial beings while technology works on only mutant physiology.
    but none of those characters have that range, so they wouldnt be omega. You are talking about a theoretical character that doesnt exist yet. Also as Killerbee911 mentions above, they would need an undefinable upper limit and for practical reasons, thats not likely to happen. The closest we've had to that was the Scarlet Witch but shutting down powers were a side effect of her power, not her actual power. Until we see a mutant thats able to do something on the scale of M-Day, I think we can rule out omega status for this particular power set

ETA: I completely forgot that Sinister and High Evolutionary were also able to do the same thing with a device from space. That further supports that power dampening isnt a power thats eligible for omega status
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-26-2021 at 07:28 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    but none of those characters have that range, so they wouldnt be omega. You are talking about a theoretical character that doesnt exist yet. Also as Killerbee911 mentions above, they would need an undefinable upper limit and for practical reasons, thats not likely to happen. The closest we've had to that was the Scarlet Witch but shutting down powers were a side effect of her power, not her actual power. Until we see a mutant thats able to do something on the scale of M-Day, I think we can rule out omega status for this particular power set

ETA: I completely forgot that Sinister and High Evolutionary were also able to do the same thing with a device from space. That further supports that power dampening isnt a power thats eligible for omega status
    While the individuals Dante Milton listed may not be Omega, it is really improbable that there is a power that's ineligible for Omega status. I mean this is fiction ,I can't say impossible but just seems incredibly arbitrary to put such a caveat without basis.It would be similar to claiming because we have Omegas on Krakoa who can bend the fundamental universal or physics laws to an upper limit we therefore can't have Omegas among the Children of the Vault. When the evolution they undergo is beyond mutant genomics so their Omegas could theoretically bend fundamentals that are beyond the scope of Krakoan mutants. Anyway this is fiction so no need to get too technical but I feel power dampening is a unique power ,if it works by shutting down the genes then yes maybe what a power dampener can do so can Elixir an omega in his purview of genes but if it shuts down the actual power regardless of subject then there has to be an omega exclusive to this proficiency

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Interesting thread.

Let's talk Meggan Braddock(Gloriana), how is she not Omega(genuine question)?

Meggan VS Storm: Elemental vs Weather Manipulation feels like the difference between Telepathic and Empathic abilities. Meggan and manipulate more not just the weather.

Meggan VS Copycat/Mystique: Meggan's abilities to metamorph doesn't have the drawbacks that other seem to have namely being able to change into someone with a bigger body mass than she originally had.

In two areas, I don't think she can be matched(currently). Although I happy to be proven wrong as my knowledge is super extensive in the X-Verse.
    So basicly Meegan is a mutant with a lot of power no joke but she is an empath metamorphic that is the core of her ability. She can control the elements but to a certain extent though still unknown. Storm doesn't just control weather but all components that's create the phenomenon throughout the universe. She can manipulate any and every force that contributes, makes up or governs the weather. And even as in giant size storm she demonstrated the ability to turn components in the environment to create atmospheric phenomena. This is why she was able to use nanobots to create wind instead of air, so just sit and think of the possibilities. Also her range is vast proving in both the xmen and black panther books that her power can span the entire galactic core, entire dimensions or even to an extent hold eternity itself.

BANNED

Attachment 105492 this is what I am talking about

BANNED

I don't think the strongest omega should be a thing. Why? Because it is quiet redundant all omegas are unlimited in power and scope the only difference is versatility. Let's say iceman and magneto both are omega and wiped unlimited cryokinesis and unlimited magnetokinesis. But both while super powerful are still subsets of weather hence storm can do waay more than them. The same as Vulcan being able to control all forms of energy can do way more than storm same with Mr M. But the all have the same power level.

I think the power manifestion and power manipulation are on top they literally can create new or manipulate powers.