Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who has the better cosmic universe?

So Marvel and Dc both have a pretty good Cosmic universe. But which company do you think has the edge?

In the beginning the aliens for each revolved around no name aliens from goofy planets that were pretty much forgotten about after they were written.

But that has evolved into Thanos, The Skrulls, Green Lantern Corps and Darksied.

So which company has the best cosmic universe? In terms of story, what they have done with the universe outside of Earth, etc..

I would say with The green lantern Corps, and all the other Lanterns DC has the Edge. You have a series of heroes that focus on space and it has let dc really do more with their cosmic universe.

What do you all think?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

GLC have been the only Cosmic comics I've enjoyed, but I would probably give the edge to Marvel. Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four, Eternals, Thanos, etc.

Naturally, I would have to say The Marvel Cosmic Universe!!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Boisterously Confused

Marvel. It just started giving coherent thought to the design of its cosmos much earlier in the history of its shared-universe. DC stayed with a habit of creating civilizations for one-off stories much longer, so they had a smaller number of rich extraterrestrial cultures, and a larger inventory of problematic ones.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Marvel. It just started giving coherent thought to the design of its cosmos much earlier in the history of its shared-universe. DC stayed with a habit of creating civilizations for one-off stories much longer, so they had a smaller number of rich extraterrestrial cultures, and a larger inventory of problematic ones.
    I'd have to agree. Marvel had started cultivating their cosmic universe more consistently when compared to DC. I think most pundits consider the Galactus Trilogy the first epic Cosmic event. I think another thing that aided this is that early on Stan and Jack started to go away from "done in one issues" and created multi issue arcs. IIRC the Kree were introduced in a MHS Superheroes, a title that was like Stan's testing ground. Later on the Skrulls, who first appeared in Fantastic Four #2, were revealed to be bitter enemies of the Kree.

I think it’s close enough to be a matter of opinion and personal preference.
    Both companies have cosmic characters they focus on too much, and cosmic characters they ignore. But both have a lot of great toys to play with.

Cosmic future goes to DC though. They’ve got the Legion, and a (mostly) hopeful future that shows all the fighting for the heroes do in the present actually pays off.

While both companies overdo the whole dystopian future gimmick, Marvel doesn’t have anything anywhere near as well established and bright as the Legion’s future to lean on.

So yeah, rambling aside,

Current cosmic scene’s a toss up

Future cosmic scene is DC

Thanks to Ron Lim, I'll always have a soft spot for Marvel's cosmic scene during the '90s

Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thanks to Ron Lim, I'll always have a soft spot for Marvel's cosmic scene during the '90s

Same here.
    Ron Lim is a really underrated artist. He helped define a lot of Marvel’s cosmic landscape.

Ultimate Member

Marvel.

The cosmic side of Marvel is intrinsic to the stories. Characters like FF, Thor and even the X-men have major storylines that go full on cosmic.

It's so important to the Marvel universe that the movies had to go into space.

BANNED

I think they both have deep and interesting cosmic sections of their universes, but personal preference goes to Marvel. Kree/Skrulls, Galactus and the Surfer and all of the other heralds, Jim Starlin's Warlock and Captain Marvel and Thanos, the Infinity Gems/sagas, now the Guardians of the Galaxy, and even the X-men's corner of the universe with the Shi'ar Empire and the Brood. And as others have said, the cosmic side of things tends to play into the mainstream of the universe more often than in the DCU.

For what it's worth, I'd give the edge to DC in the Mystical/Magical department.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I think they both have deep and interesting cosmic sections of their universes, but personal preference goes to Marvel. Kree/Skrulls, Galactus and the Surfer and all of the other heralds, Jim Starlin's Warlock and Captain Marvel and Thanos, the Infinity Gems/sagas, now the Guardians of the Galaxy, and even the X-men's corner of the universe with the Shi'ar Empire and the Brood. And as others have said, the cosmic side of things tends to play into the mainstream of the universe more often than in the DCU.
    Agreed. Even Spidey & his amazing supporting cast got in on the action (still love when Man-Wolf became StarGod):

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    For what it's worth, I'd give the edge to DC in the Mystical/Magical department.
    Yeah. Sadly, can't argue with that.

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-17-2021 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Neither. Both of them are completely incoherrent.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Y'know I love DC with the Martian Man Hunter, Guy, LoS, and one of the introductions that made the most impression on me was the mini Crisis of Infinite Earths way back when.

BUT I still got to go with Marvel as they edge out DC a bit for me. Can't explain it.

Invincible Member

I think Marvel Cosmic is more connected and the readers have a better sense of how all the elements relate to each other. With DC for a long time even though those the characters exist in a shared universe, their sci-fi heroes mythos seemed to separate from one another. After the first Crisis, i think they tried to bring it all together, but haven't always been consistent with how it's all interconnected.