Page 183 of 269 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 4030

Thread: Wandavision

  1. #2731
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    You know, it occurs to me as I sit here and think about some of the different reactions to Wanda's actions in this series, that this was Wanda's Hulk moment. It's a surprisingly efficient allegory, when you get right down to it. Wanda felt grief, and pain, and her powers overwhelmed her and people got hurt. Arguably less hurt than people harmed during a Hulk rampage, as there is no physical trauma, but that's the kind of debate that is less qualitative and more subjective. And then she came to her senses and it was over and the hurting stopped.

    Wanda Hulked out. How has the MCU handled Hulk? People affected by the Hulk don't like him very much, but Banner is still overwhelmingly treated as being heroic by the other major characters. Even Hulk himself is increasingly treated as a heroic figure as the films progress. You are wary of Hulk, you respect the damage he can do and you attempt to help him keep himself focused and under control, but he isn't a villain.

  2. #2732
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,372

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I doubt Wanda will be the next Thanos, I think she might be antagonize Doctor Strange for a bit while looking for her babies though.
    I would not mind if they had a tussel abit, it be fun to watch but I still think it will be a teamup story with them together and Wanda further realizing her powers and becoming a hero.

    But we also have to remember Dr. Strange Has a Bill to come due as well for Breaking the Rules of Magic Back in Doctor Strange too, so he may have to face that more so as well!

    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS!
    I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC!
    Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE!
    Let The CALL Go Forth --
    AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!"


    Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2021!

  3. #2733
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    I guess I'm the only who feels that Hahn did lose something post episode 7 where she peaked. She looked different and sounded flatter in the finale when she had to just float in one position and spout witch lines. I felt so bad for her. She was so awesome up to that point. And I'll say it again, Monica came off as a complete IDIOT in this Episode 9. Her line about sacrifice was moronic and rubbed plenty of people the wrong way. The scene between Wanda and Monica doesn't change who Wanda is, it changes who Monica is. And that's not good in my opinion.

  4. #2734
    Incredible Member Dipter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    860

    Default

    I can understand being disappointed by the Evan Peters twist, but all of these other "misdirects" people complain about are really just themselves going overboard with fan theories. I went back and rewatched some of the episodes, and stuff like Jimmy Woo's missing witness and Monica's engineer contact are really just innocent pieces of expository dialogue that fans grasped onto for whatever reason and went crazy with. I don't think it's a fair criticism to call the writing flawed because it didn't align with the script you wrote in your own imagination.

  5. #2735
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Just out of curiosity, what is the reaction to the finale of WandaVision on social media amongst non-hardcore fans? Are people loving it? Or am I in the minority in being disappointed in it?

  6. #2736
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,372

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    You know, it occurs to me as I sit here and think about some of the different reactions to Wanda's actions in this series, that this was Wanda's Hulk moment. It's a surprisingly efficient allegory, when you get right down to it. Wanda felt grief, and pain, and her powers overwhelmed her and people got hurt. Arguably less hurt than people harmed during a Hulk rampage, as there is no physical trauma, but that's the kind of debate that is less qualitative and more subjective. And then she came to her senses and it was over and the hurting stopped.

    Wanda Hulked out. How has the MCU handled Hulk? People affected by the Hulk don't like him very much, but Banner is still overwhelmingly treated as being heroic by the other major characters. Even Hulk himself is increasingly treated as a heroic figure as the films progress. You are wary of Hulk, you respect the damage he can do and you attempt to help him keep himself focused and under control, but he isn't a villain.
    ^^^Indeed Well Said Again, You are hitting it out of the Park On This ZeroBG82!

    This is the same analogy I have been seeing as well. Just like the we saw the same story of Bruce Banner form Phase 1-3, Wanda Maximoff is just the Same and had the same ending where we have the hero that goes into suclusion to try and control their powers and they both of Aura Eyes that Symbolize their powers!

    I remember Edward Norton in the 2008 role in this and when those eyes happen I though of Scary things too, but it turned out to be otherwise.

    I think the same for Wanda Too, She is on her Dicovery Journey to Control her own powers in the same analogy as Bruce Banner did.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS!
    I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC!
    Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE!
    Let The CALL Go Forth --
    AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!"


    Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2021!

  7. #2737
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Her line about sacrifice was moronic and rubbed plenty of people the wrong way. The scene between Wanda and Monica doesn't change who Wanda is, it changes who Monica is. And that's not good in my opinion.
    Could you elaborate on what you're thinking here?

    Because I don't think I agree. Monica is empathetic. Monica has also just lost someone she loved. She acknowledges that if she had Wanda's powers she would have wanted to do the same thing. But she also gets that Wanda had to give up her husband and children in order to free Westview. Wanda inadvertently did a terrible thing, but when she realized it she CHOSE to do the unselfish thing even though it came with a personal cost. Would you have paid that cost? Would most people? Or would you have held on to what was yours fiercely and defiantly and to hell with anybody else and their pain?

    I don't feel like Monica seeing that and putting it forward does anything to diminish or change Monica as a character.

  8. #2738
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I can understand being disappointed by the Evan Peters twist, but all of these other "misdirects" people complain about are really just themselves going overboard with fan theories. I went back and rewatched some of the episodes, and stuff like Jimmy Woo's missing witness and Monica's engineer contact are really just innocent pieces of expository dialogue that fans grasped onto for whatever reason and went crazy with. I don't think it's a fair criticism to call the writing flawed because it didn't align with the script you wrote in your own imagination.
    The missing witness and the engineer contact stuff didn't bother me at all. They had no impact on the larger story and I thought people were reading too much into things there. The Fietro fakeout didn't upset me either.

  9. #2739
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is the reaction to the finale of WandaVision on social media amongst non-hardcore fans? Are people loving it? Or am I in the minority in being disappointed in it?
    On You Tube so Far what I am seeing so far is just plain Love and Hype for the episode and for Wanda, no one is talking as much about the westview stuff as we are and if their are any complents it is the teases and theories not coming to life.

    That is why I have come to the conclusion that while I Love CBR, we are mostly a whole opinon world of our own here at times both good and very debating community, LOL.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS!
    I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC!
    Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE!
    Let The CALL Go Forth --
    AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!"


    Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2021!

  10. #2740
    Incredible Member starduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I would not mind if they had a tussel abit, it be fun to watch but I still think it will be a teamup story with them together and Wanda further realizing her powers and becoming a hero.

    But we also have to remember Dr. Strange Has a Bill to come due as well for Breaking the Rules of Magic Back in Doctor Strange too, so he may have to face that more so as well!

    I think it'll be a teamup story too, I just think there might be a bit of tension first since Wanda will be desperate to find her kids and Dr Strange might be intimidated by her being the Scarlet Witch now and because of the powerful chaos magic she has

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I guess I'm the only who feels that Hahn did lose something post episode 7 where she peaked. She looked different and sounded flatter in the finale when she had to just float in one position and spout witch lines. I felt so bad for her. She was so awesome up to that point. And I'll say it again, Monica came off as a complete IDIOT in this Episode 9. Her line about sacrifice was moronic and rubbed plenty of people the wrong way. The scene between Wanda and Monica doesn't change who Wanda is, it changes who Monica is. And that's not good in my opinion.
    The last scene of her as Agnes with her smiling while looking like she was in hell was great acting imo

  11. #2741
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you're thinking here?

    Because I don't think I agree. Monica is empathetic. Monica has also just lost someone she loved. She acknowledges that if she had Wanda's powers she would have wanted to do the same thing. But she also gets that Wanda had to give up her husband and children in order to free Westview. Wanda inadvertently did a terrible thing, but when she realized it she CHOSE to do the unselfish thing even though it came with a personal cost. Would you have paid that cost? Would most people? Or would you have held on to what was yours fiercely and defiantly and to hell with anybody else and their pain?

    I don't feel like Monica seeing that and putting it forward does anything to diminish or change Monica as a character.
    Yea I Agree, I don't see the demissish of Monica Character at all in this, so I don't get that view of thinking on the negative here, she was onpoint about all she said to and about Wanda.

    I think it is just another effect of the Westview debate her character got dragged into, but after both your points excellent points ZeroBG82 as well as many others here to clear up that view, it show more why Monica was more better in those moment then was being said ealier.

    I say indeed she should have had more action thought I would have liked.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS!
    I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC!
    Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE!
    Let The CALL Go Forth --
    AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!"


    Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2021!

  12. #2742
    Incredible Member Dipter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Man, they really built up Monica to be a big deal, the way she fought and clawed her way back into the hex, you think she's going to get this great big emotional moment where she talks Wanda back from the edge or something, but no. Just a big ol' commercial for Captain Marvel 2. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.
    Sorry that Monica didn't get to single-handedly save the day, but she did contribute in the best way that she could. It was Wanda's story, other characters can help her out, but ultimately she needed to succeed on her own in order to have a proper arc.

    The purpose of Monica's presence was to establish who she is as an adult. We learned that she is determined, empathetic, willing to risk her own life to save others. That was plenty emotional for me.

  13. #2743
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you're thinking here?

    Because I don't think I agree. Monica is empathetic. Monica has also just lost someone she loved. She acknowledges that if she had Wanda's powers she would have wanted to do the same thing. But she also gets that Wanda had to give up her husband and children in order to free Westview. Wanda inadvertently did a terrible thing, but when she realized it she CHOSE to do the unselfish thing even though it came with a personal cost. Would you have paid that cost? Would most people? Or would you have held on to what was yours fiercely and defiantly and to hell with anybody else and their pain?

    I don't feel like Monica seeing that and putting it forward does to diminish or change Monica as a character.
    I understand Monica was being emphatic. But I think she didn't weigh the needs of the community of Westview enough in my mind. Here is a comment that I PARTLY agree with (I'm just as biased as Drops of Venus in loving Wanda, but that doesn't mean I think what she did in Westview was right) and is one of the reasons why I was dismayed by Rambeau's behavior in Episode 9:

    "Wanda literally tortured thousands of people for a week. Then tried to gaslight them into accepting the shitty life they gave them. They were begging to be killed rather than have to be put up with her shit. And the resolution is, she just flies away and completely avoids accountability. Now, that not bad in and of itself, it’s cool to have a heroic character be so broken. But then you’ve got Monica, the voice of reason, giving Wanda a pass because Wanda was grieving. How many people get a pass for enslaving thousands after a loved one dies? Talk about witch privilege. It’s cool that Monica was empathetic, but what are her ideals? What about the pain, suffering and trauma that Wanda put on the townspeople of Westview? Why doesn’t Monica care about them? Why is it cool for Wanda to just run away? “They’ll never know what you sacrificed?” No, and they shouldn’t. They were just forced to endure a pain so torturous, that they wanted to die- all so that Wanda could enjoy her fake family. Why should they give a fuck if Wanda loses her fake family in the end? To them, Wanda is the undeniable villain of this story."

    I admire Monica's empathy for Wanda, but I'm not thrilled that she isn't extending that same empathy to the people of Westview (who are entirely blameless). I think she looks very foolish in my opinion. I absolutely disagree with how the show portrayed Wanda. I wasn't worried at first before the show started airing, but I'm worried now about her future. I wish she could have dealt with her grief and sorrow in a much less destructive way. And I hold the House of M storyline responsible for inspiring what happened in Westview.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-05-2021 at 10:56 PM.

  14. #2744
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I think it'll be a teamup story too, I just think there might be a bit of tension first since Wanda will be desperate to find her kids and Dr Strange might be intimidated by her being the Scarlet Witch now and because of the powerful chaos magic she has



    The last scene of her as Agnes with her smiling while looking like she was in hell was great acting imo
    That last scene was GREAT. Because she was Agnes again, and not Agatha.

  15. #2745
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    That's a pretty good philosophy. Love your positive attitude!
    It is a nice way if life, glad you liked it, Wanda thought me that around here in these parts, love for her character is about patience, revaluations and faith.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS!
    I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC!
    Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE!
    Let The CALL Go Forth --
    AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!"


    Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2021!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •